Am I being to picky with DH miles

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
It's not about the amount of DH miles, but about if the revenue is high enough over the cost to do the load to make it worth your while.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Yep. DH miles are cheap. But they need to be covered. I like about 50 CPM for DH miles. I don't always get it, but I always get it, and a lot more, on shorties!!

DieselDriver

Seasoned Expediter
Now here is a quote from an uninformed person who probably has never driven a truck..."It's not about the amount of DH miles, but pay for the load" I have news for you, its all about the dead head miles when it costs .70 a mile to move your truck and then YOU want to bid freight cheap so you don't offend, **** off or lose a GOOD customer and the driver don't dare turn down the load unless he likes to sit. Then you see posts on here on how drivers beat the system and get these big dollar runs...all the time...with their carrier, whom ever that may be. I have 2 questions, 1st who decided the O/O has to eat the DH expense to pick up a customers freight, if they want it hauled they should also figure in the dead head as part of the pay. And second who are the companies that are "The perfect fit" that pay well, cover dead head and fsc...thats what I thought, there aren't any...you are all the same, you couldn't care less about your drivers, just as long as you get your money from the load. And you say its not my company, I have a great compny and my drivers love me...thats why you have orientation every week to replace those loving drivers that leave because they are going broke.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You completely misunderstood what they meant by that statement. They were 100% spot on.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Now here is a quote from an uninformed person who probably has never driven a truck..."It's not about the amount of DH miles, but pay for the load"

You're absolutely wrong Diesel. If you throw all the miles together and the pay is an acceptable rate, then it doesn't matter how many DH miles there are. The rest of your post on cheap rates is a whole other conversation.

slingblade

Not a Member
I reckon a fellar can't get to deadheadin too far if they ain't no gas in the tank. UmmHumm. Common sense would tell a fellar that much!

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Put fuel in the tank it isn't hard to do.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
I'd gladly deadhead 200 miles to make a ONE mile delivery if the rate to the truck was acceptable to me for a 201 mile load.

guido4475

Not a Member
Im sitting in Ft Wayne IN a good area more loads than drivers. But I keep getting all these loads that are like 200 miles with a 100 DH. My own personal policy is to turn down any load where the DH is more than 25% of the loaded miles unless it gets me from a bad area to a good area. I totally don,t mine taking a 200 mile load. but with that much dead heading it just kills the profit. Don,t they have anything that accually comes out of fort wayne.

Am I being too picky or is everyone else turning down these loads as well

As long as the total miles pay come close to $1.00 a mile, I don't care how long the deadhead...

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'll do a 10 loaded mile run after 400 miles of unpaid deadhead provided it pays $40 a loaded mile or I'll do a 10 loaded mile job after 400 miles of deadhead for free provided the deadhead pay is $1 a mile. It doesn't matter how they label it as long as the grand total is acceptable.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Sounds like we're all about on the same page. 

images

roadeyes

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
As long as the total miles pay come close to $1.00 a mile, I don't care how long the deadhead...

Exactly! However if it is a significantly long deadhead, say for example over 200 miles, I would negotiate a minimum to the truck over and above dry run pay in case the load cancels after that long deadhead.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Exactly! However if it is a significantly long deadhead, say for example over 200 miles, I would negotiate a minimum to the truck over and above dry run pay in case the load cancels after that long deadhead.

plus one to that

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter

Excellent point!! I'm with ya!!