AlumiBunk Got me

raceman

Veteran Expediter
Many of you know I hung a box door on an I beam. I had it rigged for a week now in order to work. The hinges are "Special" and had to come from Canada. AlumiBunk is to thank for that. $80 a hinge and there is three on a door. Then the shipping and handling and labor, total repair = $480.00.

I felt bad and almost sick about this until I heard another driver who runs my route during the day had a fork lift fall through the floor.

Now he is crying these same blues and I see that it is not just me bad things happen to all of us.

As I paid my bill this morning I reflected on something that I saw happen last night on my route. I was on I75 North a little after 2000 when another six wheeler hit a young man on a motorcycle. He died pretty quickly and I was right there. During this reflection I realized stuff happens but LIFE can end and no matter how much my mistakes cost, they have yet to cost me my life.

I can not get the image out of my mind. Maybe this is what I have needed to make me see I really have no problems. So for now I am going to enjoy my day, no matter how HOT and Muggy, I am going to pay my bills without complaint, knowing life is too short to sweat the little stuff.

Raceman
OTR O/O

Drluvv

Expert Expediter
I too came to that same conclusion and realized on 9/11 how small and meaningless my problems were compared to the people stuck in the Twin Towers who's only way to escape the fire and or smoke was to jump to their deaths. They knew that either way they were going to die but they took the route that would be less pianful. After seeing those images on my 36 inche tv(seeing those images on that big of a screen really touches your soul), I realized that most of my problems could be fixed, or I could just walk away from them and start all over. Some people don't have that luxury and there for I thank God for everyday that I have on this earth in good health, spirit, and mind. We all have problems, but when you stop and compare them to those that others have, just be glad that your still alive and you don't have to jump from a sky scrapper to escape them.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
About 20 years ago my former spousal unit and I were on my motorcycle going to an appointment in Dearborn from our home in Commerce Twp. Going down Haggerty Rd between 12 and 13 Mile Rds., a Mack pulling a gravel trailer in the oncoming lane lost control coming at us. There was a moment that I was sure we were going to splater into the side of the trailer. The truck ended up going off the road to its right, flipping over and throwing the driver from the cab. He ended up under the rear wheels of his tractor. We stopped and when we got to him he yelling for someone to "get this f#%*ing truck off me!" One of the vehicles that stopped was a landscaping truck and several of us grabbed shovels and started digging. A volunteer fireman stopped and told us to stop because we were just going to cause the truck to shift. Well, they finnally got the guy out, he did'nt lose his legs but they were pretty messed up, and I got a call from his lawyer about a month later for a statement because he was sueing the state saying the condition of the road caused the accident. I never heard what the outcome of that was, but that helpless feeling when you think you may be about to take your last breath is very humbling.

slowhand

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Back in '01 I was hauling freight for Nextel into the 5 boroughs of N.Y. On that horrible day, 9/11, I was supposed to make a delivery to Battery Park,which is only a short drive from the Twin Towers. For some reason, that I'm not aware of,the delivery was postponed. Watching the horror on T.V. almost brought me to my knees!!!! When the N.J.Trnpk opened a few days later, I delivered the freight to White Plains,NY. Well,if anyone is familiar with the Jersey Trnpk, you can see Manhatten, to the East. I saw the devistation from the Trnpk!!! Smoke,dust,the whole 9 yards. I CRIED. I had to pull into the Vince Lombardy service plaza just to get my act together. I've been saying a novena to St. Theresa for a long time. She took care of me.

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
You know, That post really put things into perspective for me. I was crying in my beer about spending $700.00 on an oil pan because of someone elses error. Now I'm standing back and counting my blessings. Things aren't going so bad for me after all.
Raceman witnessed something I hope I never have to see again. Really, really, really. You can feel so helpless when there's nothing you can do to help.

Tony

Expert Expediter
Life is too short, it can end at any time. I gave up accumulating stuff, that's all it is, just stuff. I would rather be remembered as a good father, husband, and friend, not "Well he's dead but he left us lot's of stuff". I have my share of repairs, breakdowns, etc. it gets upsetting at first(few minutes) then I think of what I have to be happy about. By the way Raceman, my tranny jack is ready when your clutch is done (if it is indeed damaged)

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
To get back toward the original post "Alumabunk got me" I'v been reading things on this site for quite a while now. I remember reading some things about that brand way back when that caused some flags for me. However, still today you find people that did in fact read the same things that I did, and, have since purchased some of this equipment, new and used that ain't work'in right. Why?? Those nice trucks look like they would almost, say again, almost take the place of the Winnebago you wanted to buy. Right? and you could make all kinds of money while traveling. Right? I'd like to see a show of hands today of the folks that wished thay'd a bought their Winnebago that has plenty of room, rides good, the generator works, the electrical system works, don't have to interupt the fun to haul someones crap around. etc. etc. I can't see any hands but i'll bet there are 4 or 5 or maybe a 110 who knows. Why are you still buying them???? The horror stories continue.

raceman

Veteran Expediter
X, I think you are most likely right on. I had a MotorHome which I bought new and it went to the shop after every trip for something. I have not continued to buy, I am stuck with. I doubt I will ever go back there though.

I could not believe This door had hinges that could not be replaced with a generic. Blew my mind. The gound wire for the sleeper system alone can drive you up a wall. Every time that wire gets dirty everything quits working. Unreal!

I have always been happy with their service up in Detroit but My God who can drive there every week.

Raceman
OTR O/O

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Raceman

Would it be an idea to go to another sleeper manufacturer and have the ground wire located somewhere else? It would seem like a easy fix?

Davekc

ATeam

Retired Expediter
>
>I can not get the image out of my mind. Maybe this is what I
>have needed to make me see I really have no problems. So for
>now I am going to enjoy my day, no matter how HOT and Muggy,
>I am going to pay my bills without complaint, knowing life
>is too short to sweat the little stuff.
>
>Raceman
>OTR O/O

You are sooooo right about things that matter and things that don't. When he was in office, Minnesota Governor Arne Carlson had a sign on his wall that was often quoted by the media and many Minnesotans. It said,

"1. Don't sweat the small stuff.
2. It's all small stuff."