All State Express

Status
Not open for further replies.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I think Chingon reads what he wants into a thread. Must be picking up some of that cheap freight this morning?:rolleyes: I don't see this as a negative thread at all. It seems to me to be more along the lines of "current state of the industry" and how some are and aren't reacting to it.
Cheer up.....it is only Monday.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Did any of us say that any of the components are going away?

The application of Pareto Efficiency seems to be missing some elements when you figure out the volatility of the industry against the ecomony and other external forces like national debt so the use of Bayesian or Nash may be a better fit for this.

I am not trying to trash All State, heard great things about the company but they are, like panther and others, a small player in the big big lake.

Unlike FedEx and Landstar, All State and others seem not to have the ability to hedge a lot against a faltering economy (Panther is an exception) and this should be a worry to everyone who thinks it will continue - IT may not. I feel sorry for those trying to get into the business as much as I feel sorry for those who want to drive but not make an investment in cheap tools. Both of these groups may have a difficult time with the learning curve that is moving.

With what we have today in business climate, the mess and ambiguity in American business has forced behavioral changes to all businesses in one form or another - some subconsciously. Taxes alone have caused some indication of retraction in many markets and this is both confirmed and reflected in consumer spending.

The good times that we are being told is a recovery is no where near a recovery even by 19th century standards and for those companies on the edge or those who are not thinking out of the box, it may be too late for them.

Greg

I wouldn't say Panther is a small fish in a big lake as far as Expediting goes. FedEx Custom Critical may still be the biggest then Panther, Tri-state, Express 1, Load1, Landstar, Try Hours, and Bolt are the top eight carriers as far as fleet size.

AutonomyRex

Seasoned Expediter
A-Rex

Your fine for asking, why doesn't your friend want to run solo for Panther? I was thinking of putting another tractor or D- unit on with Panther. That would be a great place for a driver that lives by Load1 and TST cross dock. I don't micro manage as I learned that don't work. I would ask our drivers to call me all the time and they hated it. Now I asked for them not call me that much and they called me all the time so I had to hire a fleet manager to deal with drivers. I just want drivers to run the truck like it theirs. I have a few drivers that I have never even met or talked too. My main goal is to keep the trucks loaded.

Hey Bruno,
Delayed here in Brook Park, OH...Saw your reply. Only reason he'd not be interested in Panther is that I have learned and he spoke with a recruiter in Monroe, MI back in Sept2010 that Panther is geared more towards the Team. Plus, he'd have nowhere secure to park the unit...now he could park the unit anywhere of course, but he operates differently...secure to him is an enclosed yard...security cameras, and such. While not a 100% fool-proof...it beats an abandoned store lot or a Wal-mart.
Trust me, He'd treat that truck as if it were his own...does the same thing for his company truck now....btw, doesn't smoke and NO pets. When he sits he cleans, polishes, and exercises.

So what type of D unit you thinking...or even the tractor? He is an International 9200/9400 or KW T800 fella. T800's for me as well....lol. I will pass it on to him......waiting on a lost pilot car, so I have the time ;-)...Oh, he also has a thing for the older COE KW 100's. Doesn't fly at Panther...lol. Though I sent a pic and info at the Load One site to J Elliot, and he was opened to the idea....lol....a 1987 with about 180k on her.
A-Rex

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Dave,
Panther is a small player in the big picture. The industry include rail and air fright, not exclusive to the segment we are in. Beside I have been told several times that a lot of the freight we handle is not expedited as in "need it now" but overflow created by other parts of the industry. Exclusivity aside, a lot of carriers derive their revenue from a wide variety of sources while others have a mix of customers and revenue sources.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Dave,
Panther is a small player in the big picture. The industry include rail and air fright, not exclusive to the segment we are in. Beside I have been told several times that a lot of the freight we handle is not expedited as in "need it now" but overflow created by other parts of the industry. Exclusivity aside, a lot of carriers derive their revenue from a wide variety of sources while others have a mix of customers and revenue sources.

Greg we are talking about EXPEDITED Freight not rail,air freight, truckload, or sea shipments.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Greg we are talking about EXPEDITED Freight not rail,air freight, truckload, or sea shipments.

Dave, I wasn't. :D

Regardless, we derive our work from multiple sources, this includes Panther and those sources include rail, air and TL. :p

Read the post again starting with the quote which the poster said his findings were all inclusive to the transportation industry as a whole.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army

Greg, da boy still gots that Roberts/Fedup stuff stuck in his craw from the day. Don't get an prolly won't get it. But, YOU can keep splain'in.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Greg, da boy still gots that Roberts/Fedup stuff stuck in his craw from the day. Don't get an prolly won't get it. But, YOU can keep splain'in.

1ST off I'm not your dang boy. 2nd off you don't even know what im even talking about. Greg was the one that Panther was a small fish in the Pond and was talking about them. You act like your the Godfather of Expediting when you don't even drive. Now back to the more important things other than what the x)^COL thinks

guido4475

Not a Member
Be honest and tell us how many times just in the past months you had to run a load for ASE more than 1000-1200 miles without a 5 hour break?If we are talking about safety....But please get us an honest answer.

Honestly, not many.Often, loads of that size give me more than enough time for longer than a 6-hour break, fuel stops, dinner, etc.And that is without having to run over the speed limit.Think about it for a second.If youre company bases youre eta on a load at 50 mph average, and the speed limit is 65 average, that will give you 5 hours difference right there, on a 1,000 mile run, providing a driver does not stop at every truckstop and play the cherry machines.I have learned to relax here and enjoy myself while making good money at the same time.I know it sounds impossible, but it is true.

Last edited:

guido4475

Not a Member
Before this turns bad on saying that i'm breaking the rules. 1st off all my trucks are limited to 65 mph. So if that is speeding in a state where the speed limit is 65 mph you may want to get your van checked. As far as the box lights I don't know I wasn't there. I have nine trucks and NONE of them said anything about box lights not working in the past month. If it was one of my trucks and they was speeding as you say at night with no box lights on how did you see the Mayfield Express signs? Why didn't you call Panther if you was so worried about it and why are you bringing this up a month later.

The only reason your saying this is because your trying to stick up for the company you work for. I'm glad your happy with them as you say. I'm not always happy with my carrier either, but Panthers CEO has never came on here saying that I was posting BS either like yours did. Now I have kept my mouth shut about other things that are facts about ASE because people need to find out for themselfs. I'm not here to bash them, but don't telling me i'm posting BS either. I tell it like it is. I'm all for the drivers, remember I'm a driver too. If companies wants to lower their rates that's find, then take it out of their cut not the O/O cut. As far as cargo vans I do know, My family has been in trucking over 80 years now. Just because I don't own a van doesn't mean someone else in my family doesn't. why do you think I don't own any?

I don't get fed freight at Panther, just because we have nine trucks doesn't mean they play favorites with our trucks because they don't. Remember we can get our own loads also. Ask DaveKC, he will tell you the same thing. I been in the business long enough to know how to keep our trucks moving.

As far as Panther I don't know, I wasn't there when you went to class. I don't have any issuse with them. I do with the doctor that does their DOT Exams. But that is another story.

I never mentioned aboutwhat time of day it was. It was in the early evening.And what made me realize it was one of youre trucks was the fact that the signs on it was the same as what you have below youre screen name here on EO.They stopped at the Fort Wayne travel Center after delivering to the gm plant just south of there and parked in front of the cargo van bull-pen to do paperwork, so I had a chance to make sure it was one of your trucks.I dont call in on drivers, in most cases.I mean,if they want to and need to drive that stupid,it is their as well as their companies record they are putting in jeopardy.More power to them.My vans speedometer is right on the money, accoring to my gps.And those signs that make you aware of youre speed in construction zones.I am always aware of what speed I am always doing.I have slowed down quite a bit, as I am getting older and somewhat wiser.

guido4475

Not a Member
It's not safe for both. It is a concern of mine, was I driving the truck? No I wasn't, but don't come on here make out like our trucks speed all over when that is not the case. I had Freightliner turn everyone of our trucks down to 65 mph over a year ago. Didn't you meet me at the Expo this year?

I am glad it is a concern of yours.There are alot of fleet owners who could care less of the little things wrong with a truck, as long as it is running.

I didnt say youre truck was speeding all over the place.I do not have the time to follow youre trucks around.,that would get pretty boring, and not very profitable for me also.LOL.Just that one time, the first time that I saw one of youre trucks.

No, I did not meet you at the expo this year.I did not attend.I wish I could of, but money has to be made also.But I was told you were there from others.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
1ST off I'm not your dang boy. 2nd off you don't even know what im even talking about. Greg was the one that Panther was a small fish in the Pond and was talking about them. You act like your the Godfather of Expediting when you don't even drive. Now back to the more important things other than what the x)^COL thinks

Well, if you consider what, 1200 units (not owned) and IF they have that many, to be a big fish, then...... My self i'm part of a 10,400 unit organization of big fishes, li'll fishes, and all fishes in between. All cooperating and graduating. So yes, in the grand scheme of things they may be a little fishie. I dunno, it's all relative from where you are viewing it. I don't drive eh. Last week....IN to MI, MI to OH, OH to MI, MI to NY, small miles but big buks. This week, NY to MD, MD to Beantown. How far did you go the last couple weeks???

Opps, just hit a pad wrap, NY, CA. Better git some zzzzzz.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Well, if you consider what, 1200 units (not owned) and IF they have that many, to be a big fish, then...... My self i'm part of a 10,400 unit organization of big fishes, li'll fishes, and all fishes in between. All cooperating and graduating. So yes, in the grand scheme of things they may be a little fishie. I dunno, it's all relative from where you are viewing it. I don't drive eh. Last week....IN to MI, MI to OH, OH to MI, MI to NY, small miles but big buks. This week, NY to MD, MD to Beantown. How far did you go the last couple weeks???

Opps, just hit a pad wrap, NY, CA. Better git some zzzzzz.

Sorry I was told you quit driving. My bad, I guess I should have asked. If you drive for Landstar yea you could say that. But if you drive for FedEx then you could really say you drive for a really big fish.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
I am glad it is a concern of yours.There are alot of fleet owners who could care less of the little things wrong with a truck, as long as it is running.

I didnt say youre truck was speeding all over the place.I do not have the time to follow youre trucks around.,that would get pretty boring, and not very profitable for me also.LOL.Just that one time, the first time that I saw one of youre trucks.

No, I did not meet you at the expo this year.I did not attend.I wish I could of, but money has to be made also.But I was told you were there from others.

Well, you didn't miss much I'm no different than any other driver/owner. I put my pants on just like you, one leg at a time.

guido4475

Not a Member
YouTube - Gladiator - 'Now We Are Free' Music Video

This week was a great week for All State Express and its valued investor partners. Thank you, and I can't wait for the future together...

KAIZEN!

Sorry it took so long to post this, but I have been busy this week.

There was a problem last weekend that I had with a load.The ironic thing is that,Monday late afternoon, Bgansman calls me and invites me to dinner at the hard rock cafe in Atlanta, where he happened to be then.

I was really impressed as he listened so attentively to what I had to say about that, as well as so many other things that were on my mind.Everything was resolved in such a professional manner,never before having that happen to me at any other company, where they took time out to listen to what I had to say.

Thanks, Bill, and Spencer, for taking the interest in me as a driver and treating me to an excellent dinner in the meantime.Hats off to ASE !

Status
Not open for further replies.