All state express

Oilerman1957

Expert Expediter
I thought we business people were supposed to have a cash reserve of some kind?
Especially you independents? We are NOT talking every load here...How many would one do for ASE over a 90 day period?

30 years ago 90 day billing was the norm..If an independent can't hold 1 or 2 invoices for 90 days for maybe a couple G's at most maybe THEY are the ones who should not be in the business?

Besides ASE has done nothing illegal...just because you can't afford to hold an invoice for 90 days is YOUR problem...you lose the load opportunity because you don't have the proper reserves.

And after the initial 90 days, money will be coming in every 30 days after that...

Big talk coming from someone driving for E-1,what if they didnt pay you as agreed, bet you would be calling every day. ASE owes freight bills that are 5,6 months old. not 90 days. BTW, no one said ASE is putting them out of business, they just want paid as ASE agreed, and ASE isnt doing it.

guido4475

Not a Member
Just a simple thought, but did anybody ever think that MAYBE ASE is having problems getting paid from people they haul freight for, thus interrupting their cash flow?I dont see that problem there, from the point my checks are good and always on time, all the time.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
What's the problem here. They pay slow. You know it, they know it, sooo...keep em on the bottom of YOUR food chain. Run a few loads for them only when it is convenient for YOU, when it is extremely profitable for YOU, put it in the pipeline, and go about the other 97% of your business. As has been typed before.....no reason to complicate the simple. The main reason why many small businesses fail, is they are extremely inflexable in their ability to deal with the dynamics of business itseff.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
What's the problem here. They pay slow. You know it, they know it, sooo...keep em on the bottom of YOUR food chain. Run a few loads for them only when it is convenient for YOU, when it is extremely profitable for YOU, put it in the pipeline, and go about the other 97% of your business. As has been typed before.....no reason to complicate the simple. The main reason why many small businesses fail, is they are extremely inflexable in their ability to deal with the dynamics of business itseff.

That s the right answer. Charge accordingly or haul for someone who pays more timely. In this case some might have got caught in the pipeline when they changed their practices from 30 days to beyond. I can't speak to whether they are holding onto loads for five to six months but "IF" they are "looking forward", they can address those individual concerns and engage in practices that every carrier should aspire to.

moose

Veteran Expediter
Just inCase you wondered why newbee's are afraid to post here...
Unlike any of us , this is a long time PAYING member .
reread the OP , he did not ask for any of it .

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Also, in regards to the second CEO posting on EO comment, I feel more should do it. Bridge the gap and make yourself vulnerable to the O/O, for the positive and more importantly, the negative comments. The good doesn't make you better nor does it force constant improvements, negative comments force people to listen and take action.
All-State Express :: When Time Matters.

He didn't ask for it? I believe he did.

As far as newbs being afraid to post, anyone that's so insecure about their beliefs that they freak out if someone posts a contrary view probably shouldn't be posting anywhere on the internet.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Just inCase you wondered why newbee's are afraid to post here...
Unlike any of us , this is a long time PAYING member .
reread the OP , he did not ask for any of it .

"Long time paying"??? What's that got to do with anything???

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Just a simple thought, but did anybody ever think that MAYBE ASE is having problems getting paid from people they haul freight for, thus interrupting their cash flow?I dont see that problem there, from the point my checks are good and always on time, all the time.

Ya know Guido, that is certainly not MY problem. If they want to extend credit to non and sloooooow payers, then that's THEIR business. But the contract states 30 days.

That is certainly true for us, and that is where we stand. Sustainability is not the issue here. We can handle the delay to some point. But why should we? Why should we float them for four months while they rob Peter to pay Paul. They certainly make sure that we hold to OUR end of the contract. But they breach theirs without consequence?

"Long time paying"??? What's that got to do with anything???

This is most certainly a valid thread. The reason I mentioned it was that this is an intelligent, well-informed community of owner operators. It is important that they get the whole perspective, whether they are desiring to lease equipment and services, or partner. He asked for criticism. I brought it.

By the way, as for having the highest credit ratings in the industry, as of today, ITS Credit Stop show All-State with an "F" rating (it must stand for FANTASTIC), 106 average days to pay, and an open complaint for non-payment.

NOTE: An open ended non-payment complaint can exist for many reasons.
1. Insurance claim on a load,
2. Carrier dropped the ball substantially and broker decided not to pay,
3. The carrier has since been paid but failed to update their file,
4. Broker has not paid as of yet. (I believe the load must be 60 days + in order to file a claim.

Recently, I saw where E-1 had a complaint, so it could be anything. However, E-1 still pays in 30-35 days.

Two theories: Cash flow problem. This is something most of us face right now and I am no exception. I have to stay on top of that everyday. But it still plays into the financial viability. Nations had the same problem. Next thing you know, Amerijet was buying half the company.

Secondly, if they really DO have the cash, then it speaks into their ethical viability. Ignoring contracts, just to let it earn a little longer in the bank.

ASE is basically acting like the White House right now. When you have no logical facts to stand on, just blame your critics.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
I'd prolly be setting across the desk from the bozz man Monday AM, if'n it were me.

There is a limit, and if you sit down you'll eventually lay down.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Smaller partner carriers are always neglected by the bigger companies because they can afford to lose a few external trucks. I would think that ASE pays their larger partner carriers on a more regular interval; otherwise they wouldn't continue to get their loads covered on the Alliance.

That being said; a smaller carrier that I worked for last year had not been paid on some T/T loads and was no longer bidding on their loads posted on the Alliance. I'm not sure how they pay in relation to "lets say if E-1 takes a load for them" but i'm fairly confident it is a lot faster than they pay their smaller partner carriers.

I just don't see why you guys are bashing the president of the company on here, when your pay issue is an issue that is between you, and the broker division of the company! Not to sound like the Col or OVM, but shouldn't you guys be getting together and filing a judgement against them in small claims court? Bashing them on EO isn't really going to get anything done (as ASE seems to be paying their leased on contractors on time)!]

I'd just refrain from bidding on their freight; or just block their trucks/loads from showing up on your Alliance screen and the problem is solved. Then file a judgement against them. I'm pretty sure they have a high enough cash flow that you will be able to slap a garnishment on their accounts payable, and eventually obtain payment, with interest and court fee's assessed on top of the original principal amount. Just an idea.

Last edited by a moderator:

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
I'd prolly be setting across the desk from the bozz man Monday AM, if'n it were me.

There is a limit, and if you sit down you'll eventually lay down.

Don't you read and comprehend Blizzard?????

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well we get into this business and accept all the risks associated with it...

I just know if I were stuck in the middle of Arizona and ASE offered me a load regardless of the wait..better then DHing back empty...

one thing about it, when you are owed you'll never be broke...;)

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I am not going to complain about ASE, I only know one contractor with them and one guy who seems to be doing some work with them.

But for the 57 posts i just read through, I only read once the words "Cash Flow"

I think Pjjjj and a couple others will confirm this, cash flow is the key here, it sometimes comes down to whether or not you collect on your receivables at their full amount but how fast you can turn the invoice on the books.

What I mean simply is IF I can't make ends meet with the intake of my receivables, I have to turn that invoice by using a factoring company (yea i know how they operate and how the risks are mitigated) and produce cash flow to keep the company moving.

My alternative is a bank and revolving credit (simplified for this explination) which costs even more money when you look at the bottom line. The floats are still out there, credit isn't dried up but if the company is either poorly run, higher than normal risks caused by either taking on poorly paying customers or by bad managment, you won't get credit even credit ratings being steller (they are meaningless in many ways in the commercial markets when risks are put into the equation).

I have seen one small carrier with a small amount of trucks managed without any over the horizon planning, they always worried about today and tomorrow but not next week. They grabbed any load they could from anyone they could and got lost trying to collect on the paper. They went belly up quicky and even now the debt holders are still trying to collect - a lot of free shippments.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
Well, I'm giving them another chance Monday. I'm headed home right now and since I live in what is normally a tough area to get out of and they have a load Monday headed to an area I always do well out of, I figured it was a good risk. After I drop Monday I will be in an area where I will have lots of options and will probably get something good out of. With that said, this is a higher mileage run worth a lot of money, so I will be hounding them mercilessly once we get to the 30 day mark. With what's been said on here recently, I think prompt payment would go a long way toward giving me something positive to report, and a positive report would be a good thing. I used to do a lot of work for them as a partner, but had to cut back because of the slow pay, but I'm willing to do a couple in circumstances where I would normally be deadheading anyway just to see if things are going to turn around. If not, then I will just quit hauling for them completely.