All state express

SAS

Expert Expediter
In response to the postings from my earlier Driver Survey post, I want to thank all ASE O/O's and their positive responses. Also, to those none ASE O/O's who to agreed with earlier comments, thank you as well. There were comments made about company personnel recruiting O/O's and I wanted to take this opportunity and comment as well in regards to that. It is true as company owners, Presidents and CEO's; we have those layers in place in our recruiting departments, but as an owner, I enjoy getting in the trenches and grinding it out along with our recruiters when I can. The less you speak, the bigger the gap which creates that disconnect. It is also important regarding those layers, O/O's know and understand layers do not exist at ASE. O/O's are investors and those investors have a right to pipe in direct to the top. ASE strongly believes in giving our O/O's the tools to enhance their revenues by being our voices on the road, and they are rewarded handsomely for it. If you bring it, you get paid.

Also, in regards to the second CEO posting on EO comment, I feel more should do it. Bridge the gap and make yourself vulnerable to the O/O, for the positive and more importantly, the negative comments. The good doesn't make you better nor does it force constant improvements, negative comments force people to listen and take action. As a leader, to be effective and trusted in the O/O community; one must constantly be proactive instead of reactive; continuously making those adaptive moves to better the experience an O/O has with his or her company of choice.

Spencer A. Squier
President
All State Express, Inc.
121-I Shields Park Dr.
Kernersville, NC 27284
Local: 336-992-6880
Main Fax: 336-992-6876
All-State Express :: When Time Matters.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've been holding this back..it is a small irritant but none the less is an issue with me..

I was told by one of the posters on here that you have a policy that the BOL MUST be faxed in to office within 24 hrs...
there is a $20 penalty for not doing so...

A 1 page fax can cost anywhere from $2-$3. Does the company reimburse this fee?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well I guess I will repeat what I asked in the other thread, I would like to hear more about the new ASE program.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've been holding this back..it is a small irritant but none the less is an issue with me..

I was told by one of the posters on here that you have a policy that the BOL MUST be faxed in to office within 24 hrs...
there is a $20 penalty for not doing so...

A 1 page fax can cost anywhere from $2-$3. Does the company reimburse this fee?

I'm sure e-mailing it would work as well.

lpgregory

Seasoned Expediter
When my wife and I ran for ASE we used a cheap all in one printer with scan capability. Ran it off a 400 watt inverter. We would scan the BOL's as PDF files and email them from the truck.

ASE happily accepted them in this format. We could do this within 15 minutes of receiving the BOL's, often before leaving the receiver. We would get a confirmation email very soon after delivering. We then would send the originals in the trip pack as required.

The all-in-one printer was about $60.00
The 400 watt inverter can be picked up at most of the big truck stop chains for the points earned on the rewards cards.
We had a laptop that connected to our cell phone with data cable and had a mobile office data plan that allowed us internet access.

If someone all ready has mobile internet access then it is a very small part of its usage to send the BOL's this way.

The all-in-one printer is also a good way of making your own copies of the BOL's or printing out logs from the Drivers Daily Log program.

Lynnie G.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Unless Pilot has begun charging for thier "Challenge" mag, there's a coupon in each one for a free fax. It's my preferred method for faxing. ;)

guido4475

Not a Member
When I unload, and if I dont have time to go to a truckstop, or not one in a reasonable distance, I will kindly ask the consignee if I can use their fax machine, and they are always happy to oblige, plus it makes for some time of getting to know them better, drop off a few magnets, etc..Yes, Pilot is now charging for their once free magazine..Go figure.

Oilerman1957

Expert Expediter
In response to the postings from my earlier Driver Survey post, I want to thank all ASE O/O's and their positive responses. Also, to those none ASE O/O's who to agreed with earlier comments, thank you as well. There were comments made about company personnel recruiting O/O's and I wanted to take this opportunity and comment as well in regards to that. It is true as company owners, Presidents and CEO's; we have those layers in place in our recruiting departments, but as an owner, I enjoy getting in the trenches and grinding it out along with our recruiters when I can. The less you speak, the bigger the gap which creates that disconnect. It is also important regarding those layers, O/O's know and understand layers do not exist at ASE. O/O's are investors and those investors have a right to pipe in direct to the top. ASE strongly believes in giving our O/O's the tools to enhance their revenues by being our voices on the road, and they are rewarded handsomely for it. If you bring it, you get paid.

Also, in regards to the second CEO posting on EO comment, I feel more should do it. Bridge the gap and make yourself vulnerable to the O/O, for the positive and more importantly, the negative comments. The good doesn't make you better nor does it force constant improvements, negative comments force people to listen and take action. As a leader, to be effective and trusted in the O/O community; one must constantly be proactive instead of reactive; continuously making those adaptive moves to better the experience an O/O has with his or her company of choice.

Spencer A. Squier
President
All State Express, Inc.
121-I Shields Park Dr.
Kernersville, NC 27284
Local: 336-992-6880
Main Fax: 336-992-6876
All-State Express :: When Time Matters.

Spencer,
Im glad to see you working well with your o/o and i see some on here that seem very happy working there. I will now make a somewhat negative post but its only in hope that you improve this area of concern. As i work for 2 different small carriers and we get most loads off the alliance board. All State has a reputation as a very slow payer or non payer and the companies I work for can no longer bid on your freight as they are afraid of not being paid. Your company post lots of loads that I would like to try and bid on, but freight factoring companies wont touch your bol's and 1 company that I work for has an outstanding freight bill with you that is 4 or 5 months old and he hasnt been paid even with many phone calls to your company {there was no problem with delivery or pickup and paperwork was all turned in}. I really do hope that you address this area of concern and that when i see a load pop up from All State that i will be able to say> " hey, i can bid on that, thats All State and they always pay on time". Here's to doing business in the future

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I get paid whether my carrier gets paid for the load or not. I don't have to worry about the billing aspects of things anymore. This makes life much simpler.

Oilerman1957

Expert Expediter
I know, you went to the other side, hahahaha. I saw you did very well last week, congrats, and i hope you have many more weeks like that.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I went to the dark side Oiler. Someday I shall return to the renegade side of expedite. But for now, i've found a pretty comfortable fit. I got tired of all of the one way trips, Oiler. The rates were very good; but running one way trips will eat up your profits every time. I may run for 19 cents a mile cheaper where i'm at now, but I do not have to deadhead very far to get a return load. I guess running cheaper has its benefits.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Unfortunately, there are quite a few carrier/brokers that are slow to pay, or don't pay at all.
That is precisely why we operate the way we do. I enjoy the expediting side of it but have little patience to be a constant bill collector.

guido4475

Not a Member
Spencer,
Im glad to see you working well with your o/o and i see some on here that seem very happy working there. I will now make a somewhat negative post but its only in hope that you improve this area of concern. As i work for 2 different small carriers and we get most loads off the alliance board. All State has a reputation as a very slow payer or non payer and the companies I work for can no longer bid on your freight as they are afraid of not being paid. Your company post lots of loads that I would like to try and bid on, but freight factoring companies wont touch your bol's and 1 company that I work for has an outstanding freight bill with you that is 4 or 5 months old and he hasnt been paid even with many phone calls to your company {there was no problem with delivery or pickup and paperwork was all turned in}. I really do hope that you address this area of concern and that when i see a load pop up from All State that i will be able to say> " hey, i can bid on that, thats All State and they always pay on time". Here's to doing business in the future

As a driver here, my pay is on time, all the time, right on the money here, never a problem.But being a broker is a whole different ballgame.I'll just sit in the bleachers and watch the game and enjoy life a little more.

Oilerman1957

Expert Expediter
As a driver here, my pay is on time, all the time, right on the money here, never a problem.But being a broker is a whole different ballgame.I'll just sit in the bleachers and watch the game and enjoy life a little more.

I dont see it as a whole different ballgame, If All State is going to broker out loads they should pay the carriers that haul it, unless they dont mind being know as non-payers. They send out agreements to pay those carriers, so if they dont honor those agreements then whose to say what agreements they will honor.

Im not saying they dont pay there drivers, I was hoping if the CEO post on here maybe he would try to improve on paying carriers that haul there loads.

I dont want to put All State down, I want them to pay so i can start hauling some loads for them.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Spencer,

What I am hearing many factors are not taking on any minor players much at all if not any...and IF they do the % is way too high...
Are you stating 1 case out of how many? Is this like this with every BOL ?

guido4475

Not a Member
I dont see it as a whole different ballgame, If All State is going to broker out loads they should pay the carriers that haul it, unless they dont mind being know as non-payers. They send out agreements to pay those carriers, so if they dont honor those agreements then whose to say what agreements they will honor.

Im not saying they dont pay there drivers, I was hoping if the CEO post on here maybe he would try to improve on paying carriers that haul there loads.

I dont want to put All State down, I want them to pay so i can start hauling some loads for them.

Maybe I should of worded it a bit differently.What I meant to say is that I prefer to just haul the loads for the carrier, give it my 110%, and let them pay me, and they can chase getting the money from the customers.Alot less stress this way.

Look at Expeditor Services. That guy has enough trucks and financial backing to start his own expediting company, literally. So why odes he choose to just lease his trucks on with carriers?

Just a thought.

Oilerman1957

Expert Expediter
What I am hearing many factors are not taking on any minor players much at all if not any...and IF they do the % is way too high...
Are you stating 1 case out of how many? Is this like this with every BOL ?

What i am saying is i know of no factoring company that will factor All States BOL cause they have such a low credit score for being slow payers or non payers.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Spencer,

Good point. While you are out shaking hands and kissing babies on here, you might check into addressing your brokerage's practices of taking care of your vendors (Alliance carrier partners)in a timely manner. 120 days to pay is completely unacceptable. The lack of returned email and phone calls from accounts payable in regard to outstanding loads is worse. But bold-faced, excuses from accounting is entirely uncalled for. It's obvious that this is one area where you are NOT an "expedited" carrier.