alignment problems

KerriLynn

Seasoned Expediter
I have had 3 alignments done in the past 2 months, problems with toe and camber were present just this week, but the truck still pulls to the right, quite a bit. 14k springs were put on truck to replace sprung 12k springs recently; shocks replaced at same time. there is significant river wash wear on one major tread for both fronts but left and right appear equally worn in that area; I assume this wear started when the springs were sprung but I don't have solution to problems. any suggestions. oh, front axle is overloaded; hence, reason for sprung springs. any help appreciated.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Did you have the rear axle(s) aligned?
An out of alignment rear axle will cause the truck to pull to one side and cause uneven tire wear.

KerriLynn

Seasoned Expediter
Yes, twice this month. No problems found with rear, yet the front showed need for improvement in alignment on both occasions. assuming the alignment was done correctly, I am left baffled. Visually, the springs appear the same. Very little mileage since replacement, no appearance of wear in the bushings. Last time, we had the truck put on one of those machines that test for any undesirable movement in any and all directions and everything was noted to be snug and tight; no undesirable movement, none.

KerriLynn

Seasoned Expediter
Yes, twice this month. No problems found with rear, yet the front showed need for improvement in alignment on both occasions. assuming the alignment was done correctly, I am left baffled. Visually, the springs appear the same. Very little mileage since replacement, no appearance of wear in the bushings. Last time, we had the truck put on one of those machines that test for any undesirable movement in any and all directions and everything was noted to be snug and tight; no undesirable movement, none.

shadow7663

Expert Expediter
If the tires are worn improperly or have a busted belt it could just be a tire or tires causing your problem. Try switching the tires to opposite sides and see if your pull goes to the other side. If it does you now know the cause of your problem.

If that doesnt do the trick. Have a trained mechanic check the king pins the old school style along with all other steering components.

By chance does your steering wheel seems to "stick " in a spot or fail to return to center as should normally?

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Back in the 80's I drove for a company that inflated the left steer tire to 100 psi and the right at 105 psi. When I asked why the shop mechanic said it was because all the trucks pulled to the right. He also said it improved tire life.
I do not know how well this worked, but I don't remember any of the trucks pulling.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
there is significant river wash wear on one major tread for both fronts but left and right appear equally worn in that area; I assume this wear started when the springs were sprung but I don't have solution to problems. any suggestions. oh, front axle is overloaded; hence, reason for sprung springs. any help appreciated.

Actually this is cupping and it is part of a problem with shocks.

I don't know what you mean by sprung, springs either break or they lose their arc. If it is the latter, then the shackles would need replacing too.

Overload?

I think there is at least more than 10 or 12% of the rated weight that the springs can handle. Usually the axle and springs are close to the same rating so if you are rated at 12k but have 14k on the front, then maybe that is a bit too much and maybe not legal, maybe? But if you have 13k on the front with a 12k rating, the springs should be able to handle that.

It sounds like a tire issue, if you have cupping and they didn't balance or check the tires for trueness, then any alignment would be a waste of money. It will pull to the right because the way the tires are wearing (outside cupping will pull it to the far side).

Oh and I don't know if the techs mentioned this but when you replace the springs, you will see a different ride until the springs settle. Sometimes it is only a few thousand miles but like I experienced is 8000 so far and the truck still has that springy feel to it.

Hope that helps.

gandrew

Expert Expediter
I have been dealing with similar issues with our Freightliner M2112 since we took delivery of this rig as a new build. 5 sets of steers in 270,000 miles and countless alignments, sets of shocks etc. I think we finally fixed it, but it's only been a month, so I am holding my breath. As you did, alignments were done, rear axle was never out. We, too, just recently had 14,000 lb springs installed, because the 12k ones were curving backward due to 13,300 on the axle when no cargo was onboard. The handling improvement was tremendously better. Next, new front wheel bearings and races. Next, a mechanic noticed that the Accuride rims had measurable runout, meaning they were bent, wobbling side to side as they rotated. These have a 5 year warranty and we got replacements. I ordered and had installed with the new rims a set of Tru-balance wheel centering devices. When the mechanic had the rims off, I was amazed how much movement the brake drum can do, it's like the holes are 3/8 inch larger than the bolts. Then after all this, new Bridgestone tires to replace the Goodyears. It was very hard to find a size that is a true Over the Road, long haul type. We had always had what turned out to be Regional service tires. An important difference, we learned. Probably have 8-10 thousand miles on the new set up and we have run as fast as 73 mph for hours in Nebraska and there is no sign of improper tire wear and absolutely no hopping or vibration. Still have a bit of pull to the right, so will try the two different tire pressures fix suggested. Hope some of this helps.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If your M112 is aligined to factory specs your tires will wear faster. We had that problem with our 2006. The specs did not take into acount the crown on roads.

We had an alignment done by Willy at United Alingment near Dallastown, PA. That is near York, just off I83. He will come out to you. Several people that I fought fires with know him well and trust him with everything. At least one other expediter has used him as well. Number below.

I have not had a problem since I went to him. I run Michelin tires.

Willy, 717-578-6834

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Maybe it is me but here is the forth time in a week i have heard "we have spring problems because the springs are rated for 12k and we have 13k on the front axle"

What does the sticker say, is it 12k or 14k front axle rating?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Maybe it is me but here is the forth time in a week i have heard "we have spring problems because the springs are rated for 12k and we have 13k on the front axle"

What does the sticker say, is it 12k or 14k front axle rating?

Depends on which sticker you read. My truck came in with a 12K rating then was upgraded to 13.3k. It has both stickers on it. I don't know if that is normal or an Alumi-Junk thing.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
As an upfitter, they can legally do the upgrade. As an individual, there is a bit more to it seeing you can't issue the actual GVW sticker.

I run into a few who say this;

I just put new air shocks on my van, now I can haul more.

It is scary to think that they think this is a solution after the manufacturer actually spends money engineering the thing.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
As an upfitter, they can legally do the upgrade. As an individual, there is a bit more to it seeing you can't issue the actual GVW sticker.

I run into a few who say this;

I just put new air shocks on my van, now I can haul more.

It is scary to think that they think this is a solution after the manufacturer actually spends money engineering the thing.

It is scary. It is also scary that Alumi-Junk was doing it as an upfitter. I wonder just how many of those trucks that are reporting spring problems are from them. It would be interesting to find out. I also wonder just how many are M112 based? That was a favorite of the "Junk" .

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Spring problem?

I think it has to do with more of "overloaded" front axle than defective springs. How many have oversize sleepers ... meaning apartment size sleepers? and how many have their tanks too far up near the front?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Spring problem?

I think it has to do with more of "overloaded" front axle than defective springs. How many have oversize sleepers ... meaning apartment size sleepers? and how many have their tanks too far up near the front?

Most Alumi-Junk trucks. 13.3k is NOT enough. That is why I run with my lift axle down.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Is your lift axle almost at the sleeper?

I think maybe the bad engineering involved in putting these sleepers on may be the real issue, not the truck itself.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Is your lift axle almost at the sleeper?

I think maybe the bad engineering involved in putting these sleepers on may be the real issue, not the truck itself.

No, the lift axle is NOT almost at the sleeper. It is, however, much closer to the point where the drive axle should have been placed. When I drop that axle the weight on the front is well below what the front end is rated for. With it up it can be ok but more than likely we will be over weight on the front. The truck is NOT a problem, Alumi-Junk was. I ONLY mentioned the M112 because that is the frame that the "Junk" prefered that platform. Not a bad choice, they were pretty good at the "truck" part of the package, they sucked at the rest.

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
2nd Layshooter's referral to United Alignment/Willie. He corrected previous screw ups by a Freightliner dlr (removed 1/2" shim and manufactured a new steer spring to axle pin). Willie does not use factory specs and installed 4 degree wedges on my steer axle. Drives better then it ever has and Michelins are wearing even.
Another item I recommend, are (6) metric lug buds, 3 in a triangle pattern on each wheel (lug nuts with a raised lip on the wheel side that center the steer wheels). Cost $106 installed at Valley Tire in Belle Vernon, PA pn 724 930 7660.
Retidepxe