age requirements

psm127_dad

Seasoned Expediter
Hi,

I and some of my sons are considering team driving in pairs. This would allow us to keep a truck on the road & yet each of us be home a little more. My main question is about age requirements. The ages are 22, 19 & 18. All of our driving records are spotless. Are there any companies out there that would give us a shot? We will have our own truck; most likely a 20-22 ft. straight truck.

thank you

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
DOT regs states the min age allowed to operate a commercial vehicle is 21. There are a few companies that will take someone at 21, but more often than not, the preferred age is 23.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
I thought as long as you did not drive outside of your state you could be 18, maybe not. As far as expediting thou you would have to be 21.

Met a couple who along with their daughter were going to team drive, two months on and one month at home for each of them. I thought that was a cool idea.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Your proposal implies the truck will be in service 99% of the time except for stopping at home long enough to swap out people and personal items. One potential major problem with that is finances. There have been several threads discussing division of revenue. It's difficult at times for one truck to support one family. Your proposal suggests one truck will support one family plus 3 additional individuals. Be sure to seriously research and consider the financial implications as well as everything else.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5507, 5508, 5509
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
WELL SAID LDB
and dont forget,there will be times truck will be in shop when no one will be driving,no revenue then either

nightcreacher
ooida 263839
fed ex cc E6613

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
What night said is very true, But what he failed to mention is if driving a freightliner , don't forget the tow bills.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
DOT requires you be 21 or older to drive interstate and 18 or older to drive intrastate. As mentioned above most companies set a minimum age of 23.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
Another thing to remember is it's hard to determine exactly when you will be by to swap out. I know CRST has a 20 on 10 off deal for a 3 man team, but they are a general/expedite truckload carrier so it's easier for them to do that type of thing. I know P2 and tri-state will allow 21 year olds to sign on.

psm127_dad

Seasoned Expediter
Wow!

Quite a bit of response & so quick! Thank you everyone for your input! Yes, we were thinking of using 1 truck & trading out teams about every 2 wks when the truck might be within 150 miles of home (Branson, Mo. area). Sounds like we need to do quite a bit more research...

Again, Thank you...

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
A great place to start that study is in the forums that you now read, spend the week reading the old posts, and then come to the show at the end of the month.