Age of Cargo Vans

eldomike

Expert Expediter
I see that most require a van that is no older than 5 years....what happens if you have a 2000 model and sign up with a company...that van will be too old next year, are you required to update then or are you grandfathered....

Mike

TryHoursRcrtr

Expert Expediter
Mike,
I can speak for us, and say that we will grandfather in the unit. As long as the Owner is comfortable with the unit, and they aren't having mechanical problems, then we are happy to have them with us.
Christine

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I believe that rule is usually only for signing on. Once you are on with them your vehicle could age to 20 yrs old and they won't care as long as it gets the job done.

Leo
truck 767

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Leo you are right...up to a point.When business gets slow and or the carrier has a waiting list of trucks to sign on,Guess what trucks get cut first.Its the older trucks.

Draco

Expert Expediter
>I believe that rule is usually only for signing on. Once you
>are on with them your vehicle could age to 20 yrs old and
>they won't care as long as it gets the job done.
>
>Leo
>truck 767
>
>Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you
>like.

I know when I was working with FedExCC I HAD to upgrade my van when it reached 5yrs old. They gave me a short extension (as I had just started with them a few months before) but I was told that at the end of that extension if I didn't upgrade they would cancel my contract.