Advice Please

Heather Jones

Rookie Expediter
I had an issue with my inverter this week. Of course, I got stuck sitting for about 10 hours when it went out. I wasn't running anything but my laptop and my fan off of it. I came home and had my dad look at it. He is not sure what the deal is either. It is just not charging the battery. So, he and our repair guy has decided to use a big generator and to put the 10,000 AC unit in my van. I cannot lift it because it is too heavy for me (meaning the generator). So, their plan is to put a carrier on front and chain it so it cannot be stolen. I am a little worried about this. One it is loud and many times I am parked next to another van who is trying to sleep. The other worry is being in traffic with it. My van is not a Sprinter or and extended so I don't have the extra room in it like some do (until we make sure I can make money) The other issue I have is, does anyone have a built in bunk or do you use an air mattress as well? The very last question I have is, do you keep the cage in or remove it for that little extra room. Dad and I have been debating about this. I think it needs to stay just in case. He says if I strap everything down correctly, it won't be an issue. Of course, he drives a big truck and has for 35 years. I am new to this, but I think he compares my van to his semi and sometimes he doesn't think about the difference.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
An inverter takes the 12 volt D.C. from a battery, steps it up and converts it to 120 volts A.C. It will not charge your battery.

Heather Jones

Rookie Expediter
The guy who set it up said that the battery he is running the inverter off of should charge while the van is running, but it is not. It says OPP on it when I turn it on.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Okay, that makes sense. The battery is being charge or should be charge by the van's alternator. Is the battery that runs the inverter a separate battery and not the starting battery?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You should first check to see if the battery is receiving 12+ volts with the engine running. If it is then the problem is probably a bad battery.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Luke moot says make sure the problem is actually the battery not charging and not a bad inverter. Did the install a fuse in line or a breaker that could be tripped? What brand and size is the inverter?

Heather Jones

Rookie Expediter
I did not see where a fuse was in the line or a breaker. I am not sure what kind. Black and silver. My dad took it out and is going to hook the generator up. I just worry about it sticking out the front and it being so loud waking other drivers. I would rather use the inverter. I want to say Cobra. But not sure.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Opp code normally means overload. I'm guessing your battery is charging and there is a problem with the inverter or wiring. Some gen are loud just try to park away from people when you can. That ac will keep you more comfortable than a fan connected to your inverter.

Unclebob

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
You definitely don't want an overly loud generator. It will not make you any friends that might even get you run off of some places. If you're going to use a generator definitely spend the money and get a quiet one.

Heather Jones

Rookie Expediter
Opp code normally means overload. I'm guessing your battery is charging and there is a problem with the inverter or wiring. Some gen are loud just try to park away from people when you can. That ac will keep you more comfortable than a fan connected to your inverter.
Ok, thank you. Yes, I have to agree it will be much better than a little air moving.