adding liftgate

G

Am wanting to add a liftgate and would like some input on brands, installation, maintenance etc.

G

If you add a Liftgate, some docks that you go to bump,, will not unlopad you, due to their insurance and safety regs, because their dock locks cannot hook your truck safely for the jitney (forklift) operators to enter your truck whether to load/unload frieght.
I would look in to this very extensivley before making the decision to add a liftgate on your truck. Just a friendly piece of advice.
Dave

G

Everyone I've known that has had a liftgate thought they were more trouble than the occasional extra load was worth.Another potential mechanical problem to worry about, plus they can bring a lot of headache jobs like inside deliveries that are very time consuming and also labor intensive. They may be a good thing if you have a particular niche market that you're planning to work in,but other than that it's a potential headache.Good luck whatever you decide,I don't mean to be negative,just trying to give ya some things to consider..

G

GM will not go in your truck because you can't lock into the dock. I just had my lift gate taken off. I have a 99 FL70. If you want a lift gate contact me. I will sell it to you. It is in excellent condition.Bruce

G

Thanks everybody, that's what I have been hearing from everyone else I have spoke to just wanted a confirmation either way

G

I drive for a local LTL freight delivery co in upstate NY. We have a straight truck with lift gate. In the winter it is very difficult to operate, snow, ice, slush, sand, and road salt gets packed in the gate. It adds alot of wt to the back of your truck, 1000# possibly. You must bust out the stuff with a metal bar. After a few years old it becomes a high maint item, welding and repairs to the electro-hydraulic unit. The gate goes down on its own and uses hydo power to lift. Several times the gate went down but would not go up, this is not good when you are double parked on city street making a delivery. Beyond this you must contend with freight elevators or stairs to service the customer, it can be back breaking work. I am paid by the hour but if you are paid by the mile be sure you consider what you might encounter at the drop point.

NunnsExp

Seasoned Expediter
Re: adding lift gate

I will not buy a truck without a lift gate, I have made more money with it than not. Everybody has a ground I can pick-up/deliver too., but not necessarily a loading dock. as far as me showing up to a shippers loading dock? I have never in 40 yrs. had a complaint about the lift gate, they just wanted the freight off there dock, and moving. show up in a van or small box truck, then the complaints would start. So while I wait for the expedite moves to pick up, I make home delivery's to add to the bottom line. It's so good I am looking for another truck to cover my expedites when it starts up.:D