Adding Landing Gear / Dolly Legs

MorganW

Expert Expediter
Does anybody have a ballpark idea how much it would cost to have a set of landing gear added to a straight truck which doesn't have 'em? I don't need anything fancy, just the old "crank 'em all day" kind of thing.

Thanks

KeepRollin

Expert Expediter
I just priced them for my truck. A new set of 2-speed landing gear installed was about $700. I did find a used set for $250 but I would have to install them myself. Hope this helps.

MorganW

Expert Expediter
Thanks much KeepRollin'. I found a new set online for about $325 at etrailerpart.com. Total support capacity is 24,000 lbs. Didn't know if that would be considered sufficient for a 33,000 GVW truck.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
KW of Indy did a set for us and it was 500.00 installed.
Davekc

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>Thanks much KeepRollin'. I found a new set online for about
>$325 at etrailerpart.com. Total support capacity is 24,000
>lbs. Didn't know if that would be considered sufficient for
>a 33,000 GVW truck.

FECC requires 35K on "D" trucks,and 25K on "C" units.

ATCO

Expert Expediter
I understand the landing gear is there to stablize the load for loading/unloading. My question is this; With Landing gear, is the box frame and truck frame strong enough for forklift loading/unloading? What about the axles? I am looking at a "C" truck and the lower GVWR concerns me on the strength of components under stress from a 4,000#+ Lift truck. Many truck builders have told me I need to add more cross bracing to the van to have it forklift ready.
Any help on the matter would be appreciated. BTW, My truck would likely be right at 26,000 GVWR for my applications.

-Joe Bohannon
Bakersfield, CA

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
A word of caution,some large battery powered fork lift trucks can weigh up to 12,000 lbs.I transported one from Titusville FL to San Jose CA once and climbing out of LA through the Grapevine was a long hard working haul.