adding a larger or second tank to a sprinter???

dean07

Seasoned Expediter
me being from canada, i was wondering if there is a way to get a larger fuel tank, or add a second tank to my 07 sprinter, hate fueling up in Canada, at over $5.00 a gallon...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
When I lived in Canada I carried a 5g gas can. Which held 7.5g US. I hardly ever bought Canadian fuel

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You would think there is room on the right side. I mean there are right drive Sprinters, fuel tank on right side. Right behind what would be the fuel door on the right, is all the holes for the hose's and such. I thought about it. Use a three way value to switch between tanks.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Yep it has been done, there are two eo members (lurkers maybe now?) who have had additional tanks added.

The Enemy

Veteran Expediter
I understand wanting to carry more fuel because of the price, but have you thought of the additional weight you would be carrying by having another 28gallon tank added. The additional weight would be around 240 lbs.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Adding an additional tank is expensive, but a few have done it. I met one Canadian who had a 55-gallon drum inside his Sprinter that he used as his aux tank. Had it mounted right behind the passenger seat, and then connected through the floor to his OE tank. He had a filler pipe connected to it and filled both tanks at once from the passenger side of the vehicle. He very rarely fueled in Canada.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That 17.5 gal. tank at about 175 pounds penalty looks like a good compromise.

dean07

Seasoned Expediter
thx for all your help, i think i am going to contact the sprinter store and get more info on that auxillary tank happy trails!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Dean keep in mind the Can. Gallon is almost 4.5 Litres where as the US is 3.8...and then the Loonie has dropped in price and the currency service charges to convert..... My old Can 5G gas can held almost 7.5 US Gallons..everything down here in the US is smaller....LOL