Acceptable home time

wesaypop

Rookie Expediter
Hi all.

So far things are still going good. I'm staying very active as far as loads are concerned. By the time I drop off a load and get my ten hours, I get an email for another load.

I've been out here for two weeks now, consistent loads everyday. With that said I'm going to stay out one extra week (my agreed minimum time out with fleet owner is two weeks) to take advantage of this good luck.

My question to you all is what is an acceptable amount of time to stay home?

I was thinking of going home Sunday, and staying there 7 days. Do you think that is too much time at home after being out 3 weeks? Would that tick off fleet owners?

I'm mostly going to do 2 weeks out. How long should I be home if I'm out 2 weeks?

I don't mind being out, but my wife would like me to spend my max time at home. I'm just not sure what that should be and how it effects fleet owners.

Your opinions are appreciated.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well back in the good ole days I would stay out 4-5 weeks then home for 1 week, but I'm the owner, never drove for anyone else, now a days I'm home every day for the most point.

fr8hlr521

Active Expediter
Thinking that is one of those mutually agreed things between you and the truck owner, ideally prior to driving. Communication is key to meeting mutual expectations. You will get piles of free advice here, some great and some worth what you paid for it.

wesaypop

Rookie Expediter
Thanks both of you for the response. I talked to him a few moments ago and we both agreed I'll be home by Wednesday after next and begin again on Monday. That will give him time to change the oil and fix the leaks I have in my sleeper. He actually has a load near by me right now but I'm at 70 hours exactly, so looks like I'm stuck in Jackson, MS for a few days lol. Shouldn't be too bad, though. The Wi-Fi is strong enough for me to watch Netflix and video chat with my family.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Going home requires either requesting directional loads, ie: "I want to go to Chicago, or towards it, only" or DH from wherever one ends up at the time.
The first can cause some good loads to be missed, the second is self evident - the DH can be excessive. And the first can easily become the second, if no suitable loads appear.
I suspect that either your wife or the fleet owner is going to become resentful of how little or much time you spend at home, because 2 weeks is not much time out, for expediting. It may be easier living in Chicago, but I don't know.
Has the fleet owner expressed any expectations? It's important that you come to an understanding, before it affects your work and/or marriage.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Read Cheri's post a few times and let it sink in. You have a wife that wants you home a lot, and a job that requires the exact opposite. One or the other will eventually win that tug of war.

Are you prepared to turn down a really good load because it takes you to South Carolina instead of Illinois in order to go home? Or then deadhead home from there?

One thing to learn very quickly about expediting is, deadhead will sap your wallet, and it's the one thing over which you have the most control.

wesaypop

Rookie Expediter
Thanks everyone. Wife will be fine, it's a lifestyle change for both of us. But this is just a test run so only time will tell if this career is good for my family.

I did speak with the truck owner and we came up with an arrangement.

My minimum out time is 2 weeks, I knew that from the start. But we never discussed home time until today.

I must say things are going great for now. I'm loving what I do and the things I am learning. Also loving the money I'm making! But I know eventually it will slow down so I'm enjoying the abundance of work now.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Everybody has different needs concerning this, there is no "one size fits all".

Some of us are baching it. I am, anyway. Theoretically, I could leave home and not come back for months on end, and nobody would care as long as I send regular rent checks. Folk who have families will find the exact opposite to be true, need to be home fairly regular so your kids know who their Daddy is and so your dog doesn't growl at that stranger. Some folk with families never unpack when they get home-- the road is better by far than that nagging wife.

It all sorta depends on YOUR situation, and nobody can tell you what's right for you.