Heating / Cooling ac problem

ttruck

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
well the forum police said I should not post in general forum all I wanted was some help and that's all that was offered so here I am ill try this one,clutch on a/c will not kick in,replaced dryer,high pressure switch,binary switch,evaporator probe had system Freon checked all that is working I can jump a wire to clutch and it will kick in, new control panel, blower motor any suggestions even if I have to post it in another forum don't want to ruffle any feathers its just that I thought general meant everything.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Every truck I've had the ac was not working. In all but one case, it was the freon (even reading full, might not be quite enough, that happened to me with same symptoms as you, be careful here although there should be a relief valve)...I've watched a shop check the freon before, they parked it around back, left it for awhile, then returned to tell me there were holes in the condenser. I pointed out the shop door was open the whole time, he shrugged and said mechanic "waved a wand over it"

The one exception - get the service procedure off the internet, or Alldata thru autozone...if freon's ok, there is a flowchart for testing your specific vehicle...I used mine with a cheap multitester and eventually discovered a fuse, relay, and low pressure switch (or high don't remember) point being, it's a easy DIY with some patience...that ac still works years later after I replaced those 3 items
(edit: there's easy instructions for testing relays on Youtube or internet, you'll need this)
(further edit: I think I remember the fuse and relay being in the HEATING or engine fan portion of wiring, thus not allowing AC because of the fault, check ALL the heat/ac)

Last edited:

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Which engine does yours have? Ive got an 05 in my yard with a CAT C7 in it. Does yours have a reciever/dryer on the right front frame rail, halfway between the front axle and front bumper? Txv right above right front shock? Or is yours the type with the little pressure switch right above the right front fender?

ttruck

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Which engine does yours have? Ive got an 05 in my yard with a CAT C7 in it. Does yours have a reciever/dryer on the right front frame rail, halfway between the front axle and front bumper? Txv right above right front shock? Or is yours the type with the little pressure switch right above the right front fender?
2006 m2 c9 cat on the frame rail rt side binary and high pressure valve are mounted on dryer,it was inter mitten for awhile I replaced [yesterday dryer,both binary and high press, sw. pulled a vacum and it held put back what we took out according to freightline rcontrol panel and blower along with a evaporator probe in the cabin air compartment replaced if I jump wire from battery clutch kicks in drops temp to close to 50 degrees,just wont run on its own no power at binary or hi side switch traced wires cant find any thing wrong

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
2006 m2 c9 cat on the frame rail rt side binary and high pressure valve are mounted on dryer,it was inter mitten for awhile I replaced [yesterday dryer,both binary and high press, sw. pulled a vacum and it held put back what we took out according to freightline rcontrol panel and blower along with a evaporator probe in the cabin air compartment replaced if I jump wire from battery clutch kicks in drops temp to close to 50 degrees,just wont run on its own no power at binary or hi side switch traced wires cant find any thing wrong
If there is no power at either switch, then I'd start checking fuses, connectors, etc. On this particular truck, there was no cover for the fuse box on the left fender. Road salt got in it. After a lot of scratching at the contacts and replacing fuses that looked good but weren't, I STILL didn't have power. Turns out some jerk had tested for power by stabbing wires with a probe. The one that powers the blower motor had corroded clean in half, but this was hidden by the insulation.

ttruck

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
module,that run everything the fuse box is on left fender there is a fuse for blower everything else is either lights or what ever nothing to ac there are no other fuses,breakers, traced wire from binary wire to module in front of driver there is no power to that pin as well as several others don't know where they go proly somewhere after start up,ill be back out there today

tknight

Veteran Expediter
The blower motor connection is a very poor design it melts and corrodes the pins inside and the corrosion walk up the copper till it eventually rots it and breaks connection I repairs mine many times my fix was to cut the wire and connector off about 3 or 4 inches and use crimp connectors in place of that German trash .20 compared to 80.00 for a new junk harness!

Reactions: greasytshirt

ttruck

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
The blower motor connection is a very poor design it melts and corrodes the pins inside and the corrosion walk up the copper till it eventually rots it and breaks connection I repairs mine many times my fix was to cut the wire and connector off about 3 or 4 inches and use crimp connectors in place of that German trash .20 compared to 80.00 for a new junk harness!
blower works fine its new its the compressor that wont kick on but ill check it at the fuse box

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Im messing with a Kenworth right now that a different shop threw parts at.

Kind of hard for the ac to work when the heater control valve is stuck wide open.

Ac work can be a challenge. Gotta be methodical.