About the pre trip test.

Rob1982

Seasoned Expediter
So tomorow I call and try and schedule for a road test. This will be my second try, and im big time nervous. I failed the pre trip test last time, any good usefull hints on stuff I should remember? I got a state manual but I was just wondering if any fellow expediters have anything else that might be usefull.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I passed mine the first time, pure luck I am sure.

I took my wife out to our pick up truck and worked with her on that test. We had sort of a script. I had her memorize that script and go over every thing in the exact same order. FOR SEVERAL hour over a few days till she could do it in her sleep. She passed first time.

Rob1982

Seasoned Expediter
I plan on actually doing some practice pre trips starting tomorow, by time I found all the paper work that i need to schedule the road test it was almost dark and figure thatd make it kind of hard to do.

Im doing this in a mini van, and one of the big things I got wrong was checking for excesive play in the stearin wheel, what would I say to them like why im checking it and what im checking for?

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
I plan on actually doing some practice pre trips starting tomorow, by time I found all the paper work that i need to schedule the road test it was almost dark and figure thatd make it kind of hard to do.

When I was in CDL school, they had like 5 trucks to practice backing up on and 1 truck to practice your pre trip on. Most people didn't bother to practice the pre-trip. Its probably more important than practicing backing up.

They gave us a cheat sheet and I just repeated it over and over again day after day. Then it becomes part of your memory.

Don't waste your money on another test if you don't have it down pact. Practice it over and over again. you don't even need a truck, you just need to remember what to say, anyone can point to the appropriate part if they are repeating their pre trip speech.

Rob1982

Seasoned Expediter
Well I just did a practice run with the pre trip and I think I did ok, not great but not horrible. I just got to remember to be thourough, wasnt so thourough the last time around lol

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
You can use the cheat sheet that is in the manual...

That's what I was thinking! Tennessee will let you use a cheat sheet out of the manual to help you on your pre-trip test. Optional of course, but the officer who gave me my test reminded me to use it if I thought it would help.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Pick a starting spot....like maybe the left front tire (it's completely up to you). Memorize each step and work your way around the truck from there. Use the same process and start in the exact same spot every time. It helps you remember what comes next. If you have it memorized, you'll know if you skip something.

This process also helps you to do a proper pre-trip AFTER you have your license.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Pick a starting spot....like maybe the left front tire (it's completely up to you). Memorize each step and work your way around the truck from there. Use the same process and start in the exact same spot every time. It helps you remember what comes next. If you have it memorized, you'll know if you skip something.

This process also helps you to do a proper pre-trip AFTER you have your license.

That's a good thing starting spot. I was a CDL instructor for our company way back when they first came out. Myself and 5 other drivers were designated trainers. One thing we taught on the pre-trip was touch everything you can when inspecting. Put on a pair of gloves at your starting point and when doing the walk around inspection, don't just say it touch it. Testers like that. I know you can't touch all of it but you can point to it as well.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Why do so many people have problems with the easiest part of the test?

I wouldn't put gloves on, I would get your hands dirty and remember why.

ALSO just a little tidbit, memorize the explanation of the parts of the brakes and the tire tread limits.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Why do so many people have problems with the easiest part of the test?

I wouldn't put gloves on, I would get your hands dirty and remember why.

ALSO just a little tidbit, memorize the explanation of the parts of the brakes and the tire tread limits.

{Text deleted. Personal attack. If you want to add something to the conversation within the scope of the topic, that would be great. If you want to attack EO members personally, not so great. - Turtle}

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Last edited by a moderator:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Hate to disappoint you but you need to polish up on your comprehension skills. It isn't about how perfect you want me to be but how some can't get past the most basic part of the test.

I question why it is so hard to pass the test, I am not thinking it is the person, maybe it is the examiner or maybe it is the way the information is presented in the book because a lot of people I have helped didn't get it when they read the book AND didn't pass the pre-trip. They either did it on their own or practiced without someone's help who knows what they are doing.

I am not bashing the OP, I made a suggestion following up another one not to put on gloves but remember the grease. The one thing that WILL be asked is the tread depth, learn it.

Rob1982

Seasoned Expediter
Well I don't think you bashed me Gregg. I've always found your information very handy. I am just one of them people some things I have a hard time remembering certain stuff. Some of the pre trip stuff is some of the stuff I just have a hard time remembering.

And I have started in one spot and just went from there. What I been doing, popping the hood and starting there. Do all the engine checks, then move on to the lights and turn signals up front. Then I'll move to the driver's side and do the windows and the mirrors and front tire. Then on to the rear tire stuff. At that point do the back tailights and back windshield. After thats done ill move to the passenger side do all that stuff. Lastly I do the cab check. So like someone said in one of the earlier post its a easier way to remember what I'm doing if I keep it in the same order.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Well I don't think you bashed me Gregg. I've always found your information very handy. I am just one of them people some things I have a hard time remembering certain stuff. Some of the pre trip stuff is some of the stuff I just have a hard time remembering.

And I have started in one spot and just went from there. What I been doing, popping the hood and starting there. Do all the engine checks, then move on to the lights and turn signals up front. Then I'll move to the driver's side and do the windows and the mirrors and front tire. Then on to the rear tire stuff. At that point do the back tailights and back windshield. After thats done ill move to the passenger side do all that stuff. Lastly I do the cab check. So like someone said in one of the earlier post its a easier way to remember what I'm doing if I keep it in the same order.

That is how we learned the pre trip for my class A, it makes it a lot easier to go in a specific order. Did you mean you are taking the test in a minivan or that is what you are using for practice?

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Rob1982

Seasoned Expediter
Actually both Paullud. Im practicing on a mini van, and ill be doing the road test in the same mini van. Im going for a Class C CDL with the Hazmat endorcement. I confirmed with the Sec Of State or DMV on several occasions that I can in fact do this. Didn't want it to be one of them things where I go ahead and do it and they say, yeah thats not right.

**edited note**

And Im doing good on the pre trips, in the past day I think I have done three. Two by myself, and just did one with my father outside. He timed me took about 10 mins which for the size vehicle im doing this on is about accuarte. The only thing I forgot but I did remember is to talk about the temp gauge and the oil pressure gauge, so I gotta keep telling myself to hit those next time.

Last edited: