About the E350's

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
It seems even here in Canada the e-350's have the same ball joint problems, Upon some research,My garage I deal with have done quite a few.
This I am NOT willing to accept putting in new ball joints every 6 months or so just because thats the way it is.
Tony-Teacel I know you run Chevys...Is there any repeating or nagging on going repair issue with them? How's the brake wear? How many miles?
Steering components? Tranny? rear-end, anything.
My 1999 Dodge has 451,000 kms thats over 250,000 miles! on it as of to-day, Original rear shoes
second set of front pads and only 1 rotor replacement! I've done NO front end work yet other then an alignment, BUT the ball joints and linkage are loosening up, trannies getting slippy again. In other words this van has performed like a rock! Wish they made a bigger rear door opening!
With all that I've heard I am really thinking of skipping over the Sprinter and the Unicell and just getting the plain ole 1 ton extended Dodge Diesel and living with the small rear opening and saving a bundle of cash. Whata think Teacel, Larry?

tazman

Expert Expediter
Not sure what is happening in the Canada however her in the US...
The RAM vans ended production this year with the advent of the Sprinter at Dodge dealers.....
You may find some 03 units on lots...but by and large they are going fast......

Just an FYI.....

The Fords ( I sell all brands ) have a problem with front brakes they had a "bugger" of a time with the new 6.0 Diesels for the 2004 units (which is why they were delayed so long)...

It appears to be a weight distribution issue....logically I would guess if you load up the trucks incorrectly (i.e. pallets etc.) I would guess you would tend to see that a lot...

Also as you probably know the Chevy/GMC vans use an extended frame vs. Ford products......this may have a bearing on this loading (weight distribution).....

Another point here is that van operators really should pay very close attention to weights and distribution as it also affects the fuel efficiency of the truck....with gas a $2.00/gallon....

Just my 4 cents worth (you see 2 cents have been inflated)

Frank in Pa.
"The Beast in the East":)

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hi OVM!
The only thing that I would say needs replaced on the Chevy is the fuel pump about ever 120 to 150K. Other than that, Like Taz stated Chevy has the extended frame and I like that over the shorter wheel base. I have 220K miles plus and only had to replace the REAR, Ya Rear pads once. That was at 117K. I run all Syn fluids. I did have a rear pinion seal leak, that pitted my pinion bearing but had that replaced with no other problems what so ever. I ran Dodge for many years. Love that Mopar. BUT!!! Can’t beat the Chevy GMC cargo van for expedite work. They’re like the Eveready Bunny, They keep on going, & going, & going!!!, or like the Timex, and take a licken and keep on ticken!!!
I too don't want anything to do with the Sprinter right now.

pellgrn

Expert Expediter
My 02 e350 can with grease fitting for the ball joints,that will pro long there life.I have a 99 and replaced all the ball joints that were sealed with ones you can grease and 250,000 miles later there doing fine.

Twmaster

Expert Expediter
Tony,

When you say "I run all Syn fluids" Which fluids exactly? Engine? Trans? Diff?

--
Mike N

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
That is 220,000 miles. The “K” in 220K stands for 220thousand, but you knew that. I see how it may have confused a person.

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
All the fluids in my van are sync. The oil, tranny, rear end, (dif) power steering, and even the grease I use when I lube the van, is sync. I still have regular brake fluid in the van though. It came with the pink coolant but I switched over to the green.

I change my own oil about every 10K, the tranny at 100K along with the other fluids. I lube it and change the gas filter every other oil change, as well as rotate the tires, of which I get about 120K per set. Also run platinum plugs and good wires. (knocking on my head)
Knock on wood! I have been fortunate in the maintenance department.