A update

Rob1982

Seasoned Expediter
So I thought id update everyone on my progress to joining the expediting world. I passed my written test last week, 46 out of 50 and got my permit. I been trying to get a hold of a place that does road test and they inform me that there is really no CDL/C and in order to do this properly I got to get some kind of endorcement on my permit. I was given the choice of either the Hazmat endorcment, or get a passenger endorcement and then to do that I would have to try and get a hold of a bus for my road test. So Im thinking im going to go for the Hazmat endorcement, think that would be more purposfull. But just wish the sec of state would of told me this when I did my written general knowledge test.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
You should be able to pick up a Haz Mat test book at any DMV. Study and see what days the tests are given. Good Luck.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Unless you have passenger work lined up, get the hazmat - it is as easy as the cdl test.

Rob1982

Seasoned Expediter
I am going to go for the hazmat endorcement. Did some studying and im going to the sec of state tomorow and going to try and see if I cant take it and what else do I have to do. Thought I was good and was going to schedule a road test today then was told all this information. Plus I like the hazmat idea because that opens up more companies to go for like FedEx CC

Brisco

Expert Expediter
I been trying to get a hold of a place that does road test and they inform me that there is really no CDL/C and in order to do this properly I got to get some kind of endorcement on my permit.

What State are you in???

I have a CDL C with no endorsements. Have had it for years. Computer Test only and no road Testing required at all.

Update to Turtle!!! We had same conversation some months back. Question came up on whether I'd have to retake the test to keep my CDL C when time to renew. Renewed last month, No Re-Testing required. Just paid the extra $40 for having the CDL, and now I'm set for another 5 years.

Rob1982

Seasoned Expediter
Brisco, im in Michigan. I would think if there wasnt a CDL/C here when I kept asking about it at the sec of state they would of corrected me if there wasn't a CDL/C. So I got to march my happy self up there tomorow and figure out what the heck is going on.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Brisco, im in Michigan. I would think if there wasnt a CDL/C here when I kept asking about it at the sec of state they would of corrected me if there wasn't a CDL/C. So I got to march my happy self up there tomorow and figure out what the heck is going on.

New CDL Requirements

SEPTEMBER 9, 2002

On October 1, 2002, new legislation (Public Act 534 of 2002) that impacts the Michigan Commercial Driver License (CDL) and commercial motor vehicle (CMV) requirements takes effect. Law enforcement agencies are advised of the following CDL/CMV-related changes:

New definitions for the CDL Group A and Group B designations.
Establishment of new railroad crossing violations and driver penalties while operating a CMV.
Addition of a new employer penalty for railroad crossing offenses.
Standardization of the railroad grade crossing stopping requirements.

New CDL Vehicle Group Definitions:

A. The Group A CDL is required for any combination of vehicles with a gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 pounds or more when towing a trailer or other vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 10,001 pounds or more.

The new Group A definition eliminates the CDL Group A requirement for small combination vehicles under 26,001 pounds GCWR pulling a vehicle over 10,000 pounds GVWR. A typical example would be a pickup truck pulling a trailer rated over 10,000 pounds. Persons with a Group A may operate Group B or C vehicles.

B. The Group B CDL is required for a vehicle having a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,001 pounds or more.

The new CDL Group B definition eliminates the Group B requirement for small combination vehicles with a gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of more than 26,000 pounds when the power unit is less than 26,001 pounds GVWR and the vehicle being towed is under 10,001 pounds GVWR. A common example is a small stake or dump truck pulling an equipment trailer. The new Group B definition still allows for towing trailers less than 10,001 pounds GVWR. Persons with a Group B may operate Group C vehicles.

C. The CDL requirements for the Group C designator do not change. The CDL Group C is necessary for a single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) less than 26,001 pounds or a vehicle having a GVWR under 26,001 pounds towing a trailer or other vehicle and carrying hazardous materials on which a placard is required or designed to transport 16 or more passengers including the driver.

Rob1982

Seasoned Expediter
Im just beginning to think for what ever reason the place I was trying to get a hold of just dosn't want to do the road test. Im goning to make a few calls tomorow find out what the heck is going on. Youd think if someone wanted to do a road test threw you youd be more than happy to accomindate them. What was I thinking lol

Brisco

Expert Expediter
I been trying to get a hold of a place that does road test and they inform me that there is really no CDL/C....

Im just beginning to think for what ever reason the place I was trying to get a hold of just dosn't want to do the road test. Im goning to make a few calls tomorow find out what the heck is going on. Youd think if someone wanted to do a road test threw you youd be more than happy to accomindate them. What was I thinking lol

Ahh....OK. It makes sense now..............

I see you're talking with those "Puppy Mill" places that offer training and/or Testing only where people go to get their CDL. You are seeking one of those 1 in a 1000 licenses when it comes to a "C" CDL. They are not versed in what you need. They are highly trained in obtaining Class A CDL's for Felons on Parole, English as their 3rd language Illegals, and Pot Bellied Inbreds who hitch-hiked to the school down long dusty backroads.

Take the information provided above and go to the DMV (SoS) yourself and tell them this is what you need, A CDL C, and TELL them to explain what exactly it is you can do on your own to obtain it.

Rob1982

Seasoned Expediter
Brisco I defitnly plan on talking with the Sec Of State at some point tomorow to figure this whole thing out. Im also going to try and get a hold of another place that does road testing and see what they say. Didn't think itd be this hard to get things figured out. I know I don't need a lot of things on my CDL, just enough to run sprinter/cargo vans lol. And I guess having a clear criminal background record with a clear and free driving record isnt helpfull maybe I should get a few felony convections and see if that helps...lol

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Update to Turtle!!! We had same conversation some months back. Question came up on whether I'd have to retake the test to keep my CDL C when time to renew. Renewed last month, No Re-Testing required. Just paid the extra $40 for having the CDL, and now I'm set for another 5 years.
Like I said before, clearly Texas does things differently than the federal guidelines with respect to a class C CDL, among many other things. They're the only state I know of who will issue a Class C CDL without an endorsement.

I thought Texas was 6 year between renewals, or is it 5 for a CDL? My state is 4. Several are 6 and 8, a few are 10 years. I wish they were all like Arizona, where once you get your license it's good until age 65, and at 65 you have to take an eye test every 5 years after that.

The Enemy

Veteran Expediter
Just an FYI. When going for a Class C CDL in Michigan you have to tell the person at the SOS that you want the Class C with a HazMat endorsement, if not they will try to give you a Class B. If you get a class B, then you will have to road test with a Straight truck, which you will have to rent. At that point you might as well go for the B with air and drive a straight truck. If all you're looking for is to drive a cargo van then get the C with HM, then you can road test with a car/pu. From my experience, most of the people working at the SOS are clueless, so you have to know what you want before you go in there.

Rob1982

Seasoned Expediter
Ya im kinda finding that they are clueless as well. I defitnly can not argue against that lol. I am going to the SOS tomorow and going to try and pass the hazmat test. Will I need any money tomorow or just when I go for the fingerprints and all that good stuff??

The Enemy

Veteran Expediter
I think its like $15 to take the test to add it to your permit, but the fingerprinting side of it is what the hold up will be getting your license. When Jenny had hers done she was finger printed 3 different times because they couldn't read her prints, and finally they ended up doing a background check by name. It all ended up taking about 9 weeks to get hers done. Until the results are back from that, even if you take your road test, you can not receive your license with the endorsement.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Rob,
Where are you located?

There is a list of fingerprinting place you can get from SoS and they do it electronically. The process takes a few minutes (longer to fill out the paper work) and the cost was for me $60 - that was in Allen Park.

Rob1982

Seasoned Expediter
Im over near Flint, Michigan. And I got another update im just going to copy and paste it from my facebook.

So wish I had good news to report. But dont have bad news either. Seams like no one can give me a straight answear on what I need to do. The way I understood the MTA was I could take the written test for the hazmat, go to them for the road test then do the background check. Get to sec of state and they say I need to do the background check first then can do the written test. But they also said if I get a chaufeers licnese or endorcement that that would suffice and I can at that point schedule a road test. And being I have my CDL already in hand I dont have to take the test for the chaufeers license just need to give em 35 bucks.

Mixerman2006

Seasoned Expediter
You have to do the background check before you can test for hazmat. Itll take around a month for the background check to be done. When you recieve the letter in the mail take it and your birth certificate to secertary of state to take your test.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Not really, you can take the test before the check comes back - it all depends on the person at the counter and what mood they are in.