a test

tavrin

Expert Expediter
Experiment
Try it for yourself.
Right now, this minute, exert your free will.
Do something, anything at all, that you don't think God could have possibly known you were going to do.

Can you do it? Can you surprise God?

If you can, then God is not omniscient - he is not all-knowing. And if he is not omniscient, then how can he be omnipotent - unlimited in his ability?

If you cannot, then how can you think you have free will? You cannot do anything other than that which God already knows you are going to do.

As an example, let's say you are walking down a corridor:
At the end of the corridor are two identical doors. Does God knowwhich door you will take? If he does, is it at all possible for you to take the other door? You have no choice in the matter, you have no free will.
If God does not know exactly which door you will take, then he quite simply is not omniscient.

Another example:
Does God know what I am going to eat for breakfast tomorrow?
I'll make it easy for Him : it could be either toast, cereal, porridge or nothing. Four options. Is it possible that God, who is infinitely powerful, in all places at once, having knowledge of all things, who created the space/time universe, who is utterly un-restrained by any physical laws and exists outside the space/time universe, does not know what I'm going to eat for breakfast in the morning?
How ridiculous is that? This omnipotent mega-being cannot accurately look 24 hours into my future? Think about it

raceman

Veteran Expediter
Why would you post this? Why would you post it in the General area? I have a lot of thoughts and feelings about this post but I feel it to be very wrong for me to do so. I would also have a very difficult time finding the right area to post them.

In any case what are you looking for in terms of response?

Raceman
Dedicated O/O
OOIDA 741748

louixo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I think your searching for an answer. Keep looking...you´ll find it. I think your post is out of touch with reality.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'll give you a answer on this, We have Free will with man, Not God , God Knows the day we are born and the day we die and Nothing you,me or anyone else can change That. If you Truly Believe in God then read the Bible it has all the Answers you looking for. And I also agree this post should be somewhere else.

Owner/Operator since 1979
Expediter since 1997
B Unit Semi Retired
Somedays are Diamonds and Somedays are Stones
Home is Wherever you Park.
The Price of Freedom is Written on the Wall.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Just to clarify, the Loading Dock is the place for posts about faith. I realize that it can be a tough subject to discuss, but as long as you can be civil, and respect the fact that not everyone will agree, posts on any subject that can be discussed in the presence of children are welcome.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You can choose any door you want. God knows which you will choose but doesn't direct your choice. You can eat whatever you want. God knows what you will eat but doesn't direct your choice. God knows everything that will happen to you during your entire lifetime. Just because he doesn't have marionette strings on you doesn't mean he doesn't know what's going to happen. Your free will means not having the marionette strings, not that God doesn't know or care what you do.

Good question, good discussion topic. Wrong forum but as long as it stays civil and clean enough for 10 year olds to read it's good.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

chuckwagon

Seasoned Expediter
While this does indeed belong in a different forum, I will say, that I belive God does not know what we will do next.

He judges us on those decisions - decisions which should be guided by the laws set by God's words.

In 2007, I have set for myself, to allow God into my life, to deal with the immoral and unjust decisions I have made in the past and ask God for his forgiveness.

OK, like I said - this belongs in another forum and I don't want to go all Bible-thumping on everyone.

But, 07 - it's different for me and my life.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
I personally believe that God knows what will be the end RESULT of every decision we COULD make, but leaves the actual decision up to us. I see it kind of like He sees all the paths at once, therefore, He indeed in effect "knows all", BUT leaves us free will to make the choice which path to take.

This is simply my theory, but I was a business major, not Theology. :)

Dale
--------------

"No one can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending"

(Unknown).

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
He gave us fee will? What more do you want?

Personally I do not need the test, I have faith, a conviction that he sent is only child to die for my sins. Enough said?

A Sinner I can admit to it, a believer I can admit to that as well. Happy with my circumstance and blessings I will admit to that also.