A responsible gun owner......Not!

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There was no bus and it was fine initially but I clarified how someone might be shot with my gun.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
There was no bus and it was fine initially but I clarified how someone might be shot with my gun.
Yes, I saw what you did. "You could accidentally fall into anyone's pool whether you think so or not, accidentally being key." followed by... "You nor anyone else could accidentally be shot by my gun unless you steal it and misuse it... beeecuz I'm accidentally-free and accidentally is not a key for me!" Since you know, since you could accidentally shoot someone with your gun whether you think so or not, accidentally being key.

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Paying Attention
Glove Compartment- Lock, Attentive, Responsible Parent/Gun Owner, Gun Safe
Pool- Fence, Life Guard, Life Preserver, Other Observers

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Paying Attention
Glove Compartment- Lock, Attentive, Responsible Parent/Gun Owner, Gun Safe
Pool- Fence, Life Guard, Life Preserver, Other Observers
No one is saying she wasn't irresponsible in that situation. But to deprive her of her rights because of one mistake is a little heavy handed, and smacks of agenda driven reaction rather than intelligent reasoning. They don't take people's pools away from them for leaving the gate open one time.

On a side note, I wanna see your pool. Life guard? Really? :greedy:

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
No one is saying she wasn't irresponsible in that situation. But to deprive her of her rights because of one mistake is a little heavy handed, and smacks of agenda driven reaction rather than intelligent reasoning. They don't take people's pools away from them for leaving the gate open one time.

On a side note, I wanna see your pool. Life guard? Really? :greedy:
Don't truly know all the details...she was blaming her husband for it being there and her not knowing ....Ya know?
We don't know the real truth in the whole situation. Do they even have a Gun Safe at Home? I hope so. Do they need better communication between themselves as Gun Owning Parents for the future safety of their children? To always know that weapon is locked away out of the reach of children.
The Pool thing, I was thinking Pools in General....Public Pool/Residential Pool...eyes on people in or around the Pool, a Protective Fence or if at a Public Pool, Life Guards/Life Preservers. I guess I didn't explain my thoughts very well.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I was making a joke about the life guard. :D

A gun safe is certainly safer than no safe, but I have mixed feelings about gun safes. As a kid growing up we had a gun cabinet that housed rifles, shotguns and handguns ,and the ammunition for them. Give or take, about 4 of each type of firearm at different times. The cabinet was not locked. Well, it was, but it was locked with a skeleton key and the key was usually kept in the keyhole. So, not locked. As very young kids we were told all about each gun and its ammunition, and why we weren't allowed to play with them. Then we were shown why we were not allowed to play with them. Various fruits and vegetables were sacrificed to show why we were not allowed to play with them. The visuals and the auditory reverberations certainly made an impact. Once we were big enough to handle the firearm we were taught how to clean them, care for them, and handle them, and later how to shoot them. No one in our house was ever shot, intentionally or by accident.

On the other hand, if those firearms had been placed in a gun safe and we had been told don't touch and never to open the safe, each of us would have wanted to touch it and open it more than we wanted to eat or pee.

JohnWC

Veteran Expediter

A gun safe is certainly safer than no safe, but I have mixed feelings about gun safes. As a kid growing up we had a gun cabinet that housed rifles, shotguns and handguns ,and the ammunition for them. Give or take, about 4 of each type of firearm at different times. The cabinet was not locked. Well, it was, but it was locked with a skeleton key and the key was usually kept in the keyhole. So, not locked. As very young kids we were told all about each gun and its ammunition, and why we weren't allowed to play with them. Then we were shown why we were not allowed to play with them. Various fruits and vegetables were sacrificed to show why we were not allowed to play with them. The visuals and the auditory reverberations certainly made an impact. Once we were big enough to handle the firearm we were taught how to clean them, care for them, and handle them, and later how to shoot them. No one in our house was ever shot, intentionally or by accident.

On the other hand, if those firearms had been placed in a gun safe and we had been told don't touch and never to open the safe, each of us would have wanted to touch it and open it more than we wanted to eat or pee.

Yep

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Some people believe "gun control" should mean "no guns at all."
Interestingly enough, those same people aren't calling for an end of Draino...
Dwayne Hoover's wife committed suicide by eating Draino. I guess she could have used a gun but the Draino was handy.

Reactions: cheri1122

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

When I was a kid dad's guns were in the closet. I went to the gun range with him, followed him around in the woods and fields carrying my trusty bb gun I probably got at five or six. I learned gun safety, not in any required class but like you. When he was cleaning guns or or preparing to hunt he passed that knowledge on to me. Never once went in that closet to look at those guns because I had nothing left to be curious about I already had touched, held, and experienced them.

I still remember that day when I was ten a few months before he died, him handing me my first personal shotgun. A used Iver Johnson single shot 20 gauge wrapped in an old pair of long johns. He didn't ask to see my id either.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
One incident doesn't really prove irresponsibility, though, not in the scope of gun ownership (which, again, is a fundamental right that a lot of people are trying to take away from people - that's a dangerous and slippery slope). If all it took was one mistake, that didn't even infringe on the rights of others, for you to lose your rights, then everyone with an at-fault accident or a speeding ticket should be deemed proven irresponsible to vehicle drivership.

Hhhmmm, let's see... how do we prevent someone from exercising an unalienable right.... Well, I suppose that since we're throwing one unalienable right down the slope, might as well throw some other ones down there and go with the electric chair without even bothering with a trial by jury. That'll teach 'em.

The “unalienable rights” explicitly protected by the Bill of Rights include, but are not limited to, the rights of free speech and religion, the right to keep and bear arms, self-determination with regard to one’s own property, the right to be secure in one’s own property, the right to a trial by a jury of one’s peers, protection from cruel and unusual punishment, etc. These are among the central components of our “unalienable rights.” These are absolute rights that the government, or society, can take away, despite the near-relentless efforts of both to do so. The question of how do we as a society prevent her from exercising a particular unalienable right in the future is one that I find abhorrent.

You mean like the freedom of speech to say, "The only good Indian is a dead Indian?" Or "Kill all the Mormons!" Or, "Here, drink this Kool-Aid." ?

We as a civilized society are not the ones clamoring to outlaw guns and prevent we as a society for obtaining guns - that's the work of special interests. Sorry.

Special interests may be clamoring to outlaw guns, but most of us civilized people are adamantly opposed to the idea, because we strongly believe in the right to bear arms. We'd just like to find reasonable ways to minimize the killing of innocent people. Especially children. Have you got any better suggestions on how to achieve that?

Reactions: Ragman

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I guess because nobody knows their own family and friends so they have no clue if they're honest, decent citizens or even who they are and therefore need to see ID to legitimize the transaction. Who knows. I was going to run full speed head first into the brick wall of the house to be able to think like a liberal but decided against it so it's all still unfathomable.

Haha, you're so funny! [Not]
The problem with the 'family and friends' loophole is that anyone can be called a 'friend' - it's a pretty fluid description.
Also too, did you know that the overwhelming majority of children are sexually abused by someone who is family or a 'friend'? That's how well we really know anyone, no matter what we think we know.

TDave

Expert Expediter
Oh boy interesting thread.....one thing though people just because every law abiding citzen have these rights but with these rights come great responsibility for those same rights. If you abuse them then you should take them away.

This incident is quite serious. People who say law abiding citzens need guns to defend themselves from the criminals that have them. This car could have been stolen or just broken into, I wonder how guns find there ways to said criminals.

Reactions: Ragman

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Oh boy interesting thread.....one thing though people just because every law abiding citzen have these rights but with these rights come great responsibility for those same rights. If you abuse them then you should take them away.

From those who abuse them, yes. Not from all of us, as the nannies want to do.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Haha, you're so funny! [Not]
The problem with the 'family and friends' loophole is that anyone can be called a 'friend' - it's a pretty fluid description.
Also too, did you know that the overwhelming majority of children are sexually abused by someone who is family or a 'friend'? That's how well we really know anyone, no matter what we think we know.

There is a law already on the books that for me (the universal 'me' meaning any individual) to sell a gun to anyone else I must know 100% that person is legally eligible to buy and own a firearm. Do people abuse their rights? Of course they do just as they abuse their privileges (driving etc. which are not a right at all).

Do you really want to start on child abuse or shall we give up that distraction to avoid the actual topic? I'll be glad to get started on that subject as well as I'm more than ready with a response to that but it's here only as distraction so far.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
There is a law already on the books that for me (the universal 'me' meaning any individual) to sell a gun to anyone else I must know 100% that person is legally eligible to buy and own a firearm. Do people abuse their rights? Of course they do just as they abuse their privileges (driving etc. which are not a right at all).

Do you really want to start on child abuse or shall we give up that distraction to avoid the actual topic? I'll be glad to get started on that subject as well as I'm more than ready with a response to that but it's here only as distraction so far.

Please provide specifics about this law: what does it require, and how is it enforced?
The mention of child [sexual] abuse was not a distraction - it was an illustration of how little we know of people who have something to hide. That makes a travesty of any law that allows selling weapons to 'friends & family' without any restrictions.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Please provide specifics about this law: what does it require, and how is it enforced?
Under federal law (the Gun Control Act of 1968 and the addition of the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act of 1993 (which hasn't prevented a single handgun related violent act, BTW, but at least it felt good when it was signed into law) 18 U.S.C. 922 (d)), persons prohibited from possessing firearms or ammunition include felons, fugitives, persons with disqualifying mental health histories, illegal drug users and addicts, illegal aliens, persons dishonorably discharged from the armed forces, persons who have renounced U.S. citizenship, persons convicted of domestic violence misdemeanors, and persons under certain kinds of domestic violence-related restraining orders.

It is against the law for anyone to transfer a firearm or ammunition to anyone known or believed to be prohibited from possessing firearms or ammunition.

It is enforced by the ATF.

... it was an illustration of how little we know of people who have something to hide. That makes a travesty of any law that allows selling weapons to 'friends & family' without any restrictions.
Well, it's a good thing then that we don't have laws that allows selling weapons to friends & family without restriction.

TDave

Expert Expediter
From those who abuse them, yes. Not from all of us, as the nannies want to do.

Exactly whom said "We're going to take all the guns away!" I have not heard one politician say all we need is 5 more gun control laws on the books and then we start taking the guns.......sounds a little silly too me

Under federal law (the Gun Control Act of 1968 and the addition of the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act of 1993 (which hasn't prevented a single handgun related violent act, BTW, but at least it felt good when it was signed into law) 18 U.S.C. 922 (d)), persons prohibited from possessing firearms or ammunition include felons, fugitives, persons with disqualifying mental health histories, illegal drug users and addicts, illegal aliens, persons dishonorably discharged from the armed forces, persons who have renounced U.S. citizenship, persons convicted of domestic violence misdemeanors, and persons under certain kinds of domestic violence-related restraining orders.

It is against the law for anyone to transfer a firearm or ammunition to anyone known or believed to be prohibited from possessing firearms or ammunition.

It is enforced by the ATF.

Well, it's a good thing then that we don't have laws that allows selling weapons to friends & family without restriction.

So what's the point in having this law on the books? Let's get rid of this law on the books and actually get some laws enacted which would help gun owners and punish those whom shouldn't have the guns like criminals and irresponsible gun owners....sounds easy

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So what's the point in having this law on the books? Let's get rid of this law on the books and actually get some laws enacted which would help gun owners and punish those whom shouldn't have the guns like criminals and irresponsible gun owners....sounds easy

We have plenty of laws on the books to do just that. Now if they would stop plea bargaining down to lesser crimes some of them would see punishment.

Reactions: TDave and Ftransit

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
What Turtle said, much more patiently than I can muster anymore. Bottom line you just can't argue more gun laws. There are over 25,000 already and they cover everything. You can argue much more severe consequences but the liberal mind won't do that. It goes against the liberal heart/mind/feelings directive to justify the poor babies misuse of an inanimate object because they were bullied or they were fed too many or too few Twinkies or any other reason to vilify the inanimate object they misused, the legal honest citizens who own the inanimate object and had nothing to do with the crime or anyone/anything else except for the criminal who is responsible.