A Question for Van Drivers?

guido4475

Not a Member
I have an Oregon Aero Softseat, which is a memory foam seat cushion that was designed, and still primarily used, for pilots. It enables me to drive long distances without getting stiff or fatigued. The stock Sprinter seat can be just brutal on long hauls. I generally take a few minutes for a break whenever I find I need to shift my sitting position, since that's the first indicator of fatigue (depending on your seat comfort, of course). If you find you need to shift your sitting position frequently, you need another seat, because the one you have is wearing you out prematurely and making you more tired and fatigued sooner that should happen. I find that whenever I need to shift my position, it's also just about the time I need fuel, anyway, which works out to be somewhere in the 7-9 hour range.

I have a permanent bunk that allows me to sleep while loaded, whether that's over a weekend or a nap while running. I listen to XM radio, sometimes the CB. Talking on the cell phone to other drivers who are also loaded and running can help a great deal in keeping alert and awake.

A lot of you handle a 1000 mile load (or even if you accept it) is your current state of rest, and whether the load provides you with the ability to get the necessary rest along the way. If it's 1000 mile straight through with no breaks other than fuel, that's not a smart load to take, regardless of how much is pays. But one in which you can make up several hours along the way to use for rest periods is very easily doable.

It also depends on the routing and time of day you'll be hitting certain locations, as the differing levels of stress encountered while driving can have a big impact in alertness. For example, a 1000 mile run from Chicago to Georgia can be a piece of cake if it's picking up in Chicago on Friday afternoon for Saturday afternoon delivery, but it's a whole 'nuther type of run when it picks up Monday afternoon for Tuesday afternoon delivery. The number of vehicles on the road adds to stress, as does passing through different cities at rush hour versus passing through them in the middle of the night. A run that takes you through Columbus, Dayton, Cincinnati, Louisville and Nashville can wear you out by the time you get through Nashville if you're driving through all those during the day, but the same run at night or even on a weekend can be easy.

A 1000 mile run down the eat coast is a lot more stressful than one that goes across Texas. It all depends on the run.

I don't to energy drinks, since the only sure for sleepy is sleep. Eating something, regardless of what it is, can keep you awake. But like energy drinks, once that stops you tend to crash and be even more tired than if you did nothing. As for when to take a break to stay alert, some people take a 15-20 minute break every 4 hours, but that doesn't always work out.

Can you provide any information on this Oregon Aero Safety seat?I'd be interested in this. Thanks in advance.

whitewolf

Seasoned Expediter
Can you stop it.. leave the cargo vans alone...I was driving a cargo van 8 yrs ago for Panther and I never heard of accidents or swaps... In the last 3-4 yrs when they start taking all the retarded drivers because they need stupid people drive for their fleet owners I've heard horror stories about people sleeping after 1 hr drive...or forgot they way to the shipper...and with swaps is another story..I don't like to give away a nice run after I spent 3 hrs in Chicago and someone is waiting in Gary to take the good part because I was stuck in traffic...give us more time that's what we need...like Tristate does..after you left the shipper you know what time you deliver and if is a swap they told you in the load offer

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
OK, Here's what I learned so far.
Don't do it. (Greg and LDB)
Get a comfortable seat. (Turtle)
Where to get a comfortable seat. (ChefDennis) I want an ejection seat from there also to help get rid of cranky wife syndrome.:D
Pace yourself, build up time to take a break (OVM, Turtle, Charles D, gsmacker)
Stay clean and fresh (guido)
Skip the energy drinks (gsmacker, Turtle)
Could someone post where to get these special shorts. I already have the cape, mask and monkey butt powder.
Seriously I am enjoying reading these answers and my question was not meant to try to get the van drivers regulated. I am considering becoming one of them myself.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Thanks for the concern but I have a great life. 500 miles in a day? Definitely doable almost any day of the year if one is suited for this business. Three times that in a day (Also called mean solar day. a division of time equal to 24 hours and representing the average length of the period during which the earth makes one rotation on its axis.)? Not sensibly or safely. That's a 62.5mph rolling average for 24 hours. That's part of the problem, that people think basically everything is manageable safely. Now if we want to say double then yes, that would often be doable, depending on circumstances since it only requires 41.67mph rolling average leaving plenty of room for fueling, eating, and most importantly resting.

guido4475

Not a Member
The 2 main proponents of van regulation:

One is an EX van driver now straight, guess he didn't like the freedom and needed to be regulated...some poor people need more guidance then others ya know eh?:p

The other is an EX straight who has been so regulated by both DOT and carrier..seems to be having problems being free from his HOS bondage....

Problems being free from the hos bondage as in how? I feel like a eagle, seagull, etc, being this free after what I was in..kinda like the song Seagull from Bad Company...

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
All of the above post are together a good picture on what is needed to perform well in thi industry "no matter what the distance" being driven is....

We need good rest and proper route planning and timing to get from point "A" to point "B" in the bet fashion (and no OVM's Shorts are NOT in good FASHION!:D)

For me O have driven more then 1000 miles straight thru with no stops exactly 1 time, and i won't happen again. Now i will run any diatance as long a i can figure in the need sleep time to make the run safe....sleep while on a run can be anywhere from 2 hrs to 8 hrs, and we all understand that, but the want works for each of us is different and is also different each time for each individual...how rested were you before you took the load will indicate the need for sleep as whatever point

I do do energy drirks and while i haven't used it since early on in this job, i have a script for "Provgil" ( Provigil - the anti-sleepiness drug | Modafinil ) which was devoloped for the military pilots and is approved for use for Train engineers by the fed trans dept. not sure if the DOT as approved it for us but it works and you don't crash....but it is way expensive. I used it when i 1st started in this business, but found no need to since i can most always get sleep in on a long run....

Keep posting in this, the info from each is good stuff and informative, and Thanks Turtle for the Seat info, as i said it will be ordering the cushino combo in the morning....

greg334

Veteran Expediter
The 2 main proponents of van regulation:

One is an EX van driver now straight, guess he didn't like the freedom and needed to be regulated...some poor people need more guidance then others ya know eh?:p

Actually OVM, my comments come from hiring people who end up wrecking my trucks, having a van in my fleet and from seeing accidents up close and personal.

I don't apologize for worrying about safety of others, and the other night I wasn't p*ssed off by the fact I could have been killed but rather by the callousness of the people at the carrier who leased the van.

I can't say much about that incident other than the driver was tired, was late and 1400 miles ahead of him. It was his recklessnesses that is forcing the company to now act, which may (I hope) include firing some people on their dispatching staff. His contract has been terminated.

See OVM it isn't I want the vans regulated, I don't like that idea but it comes down to what Guido pointed out - we are all different. He makes a good case for common sense and limitations for the driver but the only way that can be done if it needs to be is regulating it as a truck.

The problem in this business is that we are all in a situation where the economy is poor, people are hurting and vans are an easy entry into a source of money. The companies take advantage of this, as indicated by the high turnover.

But the OP asked about putting people in a van, not driving it themselves which is two different issues. I wouldn't allow a driver to pull more than 750 miles a day regardless because I can't control them. I am liable for that van, I am the one who put them in the van and set them loose. If they get into an accident with a fatality, the carrier isn't liable but I can be.

I also had a lot of training for disaster recovery work, stress management and other areas where people have to work under a lot of stress and/or boredom and be useful when needed. It is not like I don't come to this issue without any knowledge, I have a lot of it and know (as Guido pointed out) everyone is different.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Just so you know, I have the 2" seat and the full back cushion. I first ordered the base and the lumbar support, but found that becasue of how the Sprinter seat is designed, I needed the full-back cushion instead of just the lumbar support. The full-back comes with a lumbar support, as well.

My seat cushion is the one with the non-skid strips, and the full-back with the lumbar support has the straps. The full-back zippers to the sat base, and the lumbar support can be positioned up and down vial Velcro strips.

On their Web site is ways the full cushion back is to "move a person forward", and that's certainly true in an airplane seat, but in a Sprinter and most van seats, because of the way the seat angles backwards, the full cushion back simply fills the void created by the lumbar support. Without the full cushion back, the lumbar support alone actually made my back hurt. Using the full cushion back with the lumbar support, and the base in combination, makes sitting there in the same place extremely comfortable.

A 2-inch base at $169, and the full cushion back at $169 (and in my case having paid an extra $51 for the lumbar that comes again with the full-back), makes for an expensive seat. However, it's a bargain at twice the price. I'm serious. Best money I've ever spent (with the possible exception of tinting the side windows).

Most сoсkpit seats can be moved forward or rearward, but cannot be raised and lowered like they can with, say, a Sprinter. The different thicknesses of the seat cushion base, for a сoсkpit seat, it is all about how much height you want the cushion to give you, since any thickness with give you about the same amount of comfort. Half inch, one inch, or two inches. They even caution against taller pilots from getting one too thick. However, a сoсkpit seat will not be subjected to the relentless bumping of potholes that a van will, so get the thickest seat cushion. Trust me. :D

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
So my question is:
How do you do 1000 plus mile solo runs safely?
My S/T has an auto shift transmission, air ride seat, air ride suspension and most of the comforts of home. 658 miles in 11 hours is my record and I was totally beat.

So what's the trick? How do you stay alert and safe on a run of that many miles?
Where do you get a few hours of shut eye if your cargo area is full?
How often do you take a break to stay alert?
Is there a secret energy drink to help keep you going?

When I started in a van, I was surprised at how less fatiguing it is, how much more alert and comfortable I was after a long drive as opposed to a TT or ST.

Does your van have reclining seats? I've never had to resort to that, but mine do recline fully. I'd do it if I had to.

As far as extending alertness, I use sunflower seeds. Not the hulled kind, but the kind that you have to hull yourself, in your mouth. I put 15-20 in my mouth at a time and work on them, with a spit cup in the cupholder. It always keeps me awake. And if you get a spicy brand, like Giant Salt and Pepper flavor, the pepper lights your mouth on fire. That will really do it. I suppose if you had something else that involves a lot of chewing or work to eat it, and is very spicy, like peppered beef jerky, that might do the trick, too.

And there's always coffee, the high-octane stuff found at various truck stops.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't want anyone regulated regardless of vehicle size. I want everyone to do the right thing on their own with no outside regulation. That doesn't happen because some people are bad people. Bad people have to be regulated. Figure out a way to identify only the bad people and regulate only the bad people and take the regulations off the rest. Laws/rules/regulations don't bother those who are honest/legal/good. They only bother those who want to be dishonest/illegal/bad.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't want anyone regulated regardless of vehicle size. I want everyone to do the right thing on their own with no outside regulation. That doesn't happen because some people are bad people. Bad people have to be regulated. Figure out a way to identify only the bad people and regulate only the bad people and take the regulations off the rest. Laws/rules/regulations don't bother those who are honest/legal/good. They only bother those who want to be dishonest/illegal/bad.

That is the same excuse people made when the Patriot Act was passed..."if you have nothing to hide it won't effect you"...baloney

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Have to disagree, Leo: laws/rules/regulations bother me, if only the 'presumption of guilt' [ie: drug screening]. It bothers me very much that I can't legally afford to take a nap [using the split sleeper log rules] without violating the 14 hr limit, too.
The laws/rules/regulations that require a fee, such as drug tests, are especially bothersome.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Laws/rules/regulations don't bother those who are honest/legal/good. They only bother those who want to be dishonest/illegal/bad.
The people who are dishonest/illegal/bad aren't very likely to abide by laws/rules/regulations, so I can't imagine they'd be bothered much by them.

For example, the only people who are inconvenienced by gun control laws are the law abiding citizens.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Some of the most experienced van drivers in our community have given their opinion and it is an overwhelming NO for the need to regulate....:D

guido4475

Not a Member

Isn't that what CSA 2010 is all about?It should weed out the bad, drivers and companies alike.

hondaking38

Veteran Expediter
Personally i dont have to worry about mudane things like a 1000 mile load....with panther, there obsolete anymore.....havent had one in 6 months...