A Question for SUCCESSFUL Solo Drivers

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I just received a private inquiry from a blog reader asking for my thoughts about entering the business as a solo straight-truck driver today. I have nothing different to say in response than what has been said by solo drivers here in recent weeks and months. But the question got me to wondering.

There remain in the business a number of solo drivers who have been successful in the past and have every intention of keeping at it. What's up with them?

Question 1: If it is not a good time to enter the business, what keeps you in now?

Question 2: Compared to two years ago, how, specifically, have your revenue and business practices changed?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Phil,
I know you won't read this because you have me on your ignore list, maybe someone should cut and paste it to send it to you or......

Question 1: If it is not a good time to enter the business, what keeps you in now?

The need to produce revenue to pay the bills at this point. There is no choice for a number of us (no jobs, a lack of proper education for many, lack of skills needed in the employment market, etc..) but to do this work. I have almost finished a piece on the realistic approach to failure and why it happens to so many of us - it will appear on my blog in the near future.

Question 2: Compared to two years ago, how, specifically, have your revenue and business practices changed?

My revenue is down of course, (dumb question) but my business practice have changed drastically to make up for that and to help be more flexible, from my accounting methods to how I handle runs. I am thinking outside the box about the business, I have shed the employee mentality that was embedded in me by FedEx which is so destructive to many who can't figure out what it is. I have changed and continue to change a lot of other things in order to keep moving forward in a positive manner. For example I'm now openly fighting the "you can be only successful if you have a shiny new looking truck" mentality along telling people this is not a good time to enter the business and won't be for a long long time - it all puts me in a better frame of mind so I can focus on constant improvements without the detraction from the comments by the elites who demean people.

Oh and if you put me in that category of a failed expediter, I would say that it proves my point with you and no you can not use my comments for your work.

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
Phil,

Maybe if you can offer some definition of SUCCESSFUL then some solo drivers will be able to determine if they qualify to respond to this thread.

or

Maybe some unsuccessful solo drivers have something constructive to say since you learn more from your mistakes than your successes.

So far, Greg334 is the only solo driver confident enough to deem himself successful or he just saw another opportunity to harass you again.?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
So far, Greg334 is the only solo driver confident enough to deem himself successful or he just saw another opportunity to harass you again.?

Not harassing at all, I am not afraid to say I met my goals on what I define success to be, not Phil. He can't define it, only for himself he can define it, it is what the individual defines it as that counts and it always changes...

I want people to succeed in this business, I am a solo owner who sees a lot more from my little beat up truck than many see in their 'shiny line new truck'. I am not afraid to tell people not to enter this business until we all can enjoy it again which will take a long time and it will only get worst long before it gets better.

He has already said I was a failure in one post, he included words like "Scum Bag driver" and other demeaning words in another post while describing a situation that we all have to work with, which all of it seems to prove there is an attitude, about who is successful and who is not. If he wants to be a good editor, he needs to listen, he needs to engage without personal feelings but especially not pass judgment on the audience that he is writing for. Oh and he would never ever use the ignore list either:p

SWTexas1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There remain in the business a number of solo drivers who have been successful in the past and have every intention of keeping at it. What's up with them?

Question 1: If it is not a good time to enter the business, what keeps you in now? ?

It is not a good time to enter the Business, Those of us that are in now had some type of head start on the down turn. We had Money saved up to get us though this ( if it does not last more then a year).
I can not speak for others but I stay due the catch 22 problem. Can not afford to run the truck, But cant afford not too either.

Revenue is running about 60 % of what it was 2 Years ago. I have been looking at Everything, Oil changes at 18K insteed of 15K Using any and all Discount Programs I can Find. Do-it-Yourself when I used to have it Done. Eating in the truck more, Rental Car to go home insteed of Taking the truck, Anything that can Save a Dollar.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Phil,

Maybe if you can offer some definition of SUCCESSFUL then some solo drivers will be able to determine if they qualify to respond to this thread.

Successful Expediter: A person involved in expedited or critical-shipment freight transport, who has expediting-related goals, and has achieved or is in the process of achieving them.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Successful Expediter: ... who has expediting-related goals....

Now why do they have to be expediting-related goals?

If the person who says that they are successful but uses the definition that they decided on pay the bills, and have the flexibility of using their time as they see fit without including anything related to expediting, are these expedited related goals?

Big Redd

Expert Expediter
What keeps me in the game,that's simple, my reefer. Most of what I have been doing is t val and regular temp assure. While I don't have two years ago numbers in front of me,I know my run count is down from last year but only by 9 loads.Income is down abut 10 thousand, but how much of that is due to fuel surcharge. I know I'm running more to stay at last years levels but then show me some one who isn't behind this year. I'm just very grateful to be staying steady...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I think he's just contemplating his likelihood of success if he decides to kick Diane out of the truck. :D

sdelliott31

Expert Expediter
I'm out of the business, but being in the business for some time wanted to comment. I believe the answers to the questions are in what Greg and Steve said. 1. Theres not a lot of other choices out there. Many people are looking for jobs that have degrees, so you do what you know. If you have a job you are lucky and it pays more than minimum wage. 2. I think those who have been in expediting for awhile had or have a nest egg saved up, that may be depleting somewhat, but the successful ones find a way to keep there expenses in ratio to their revenue. Look at bonuses, where the loads will take you (better area than where you are). But honestly other than health care, there isn't much out there. I think this is a good post and good view points

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Yep. I run solo. I have never run team, so I cannot speak for it. I never quite understood why so many but blindly believe that this is a "team model" business. If anyone believes this, then fine. If anyone believe this simply because that was the propaganda fed to them by recruiters and the folks who did your orientation, then that is another story. I call it the "Lemming Syndrome."

1. Why would I advise someone to avoid this business in this current economic state? I wouldn't advise anyone who has current steady income to make any industry change in this climate. If it ain't broke, then don't fix it. There are always large expenditures with starting a new biz. There also is a steep learning curve that only the "on the job training" brings. Too many people are looking for jobs that do not contain work. For whatever reason, this industry seems to be plagued with them.

2. Yes, I have made some changes in the way I do business. If business was at a high, I would probably be making changes as well.

Last edited:

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
If your in business and it shows a profit,thats success.It's as simple as that.Whether your flipping burgers at your back yard BBQ, or building houses,operate in the black,your a success.
Game plan,sure.First figure your house hold bills,then what it will take to keep your truck afloat.Add these all together,and then,and only then should you start in this business.If you think you can make it on a minumum pay check,great your ahead of the game.
Myself,I run team,why cause I'm spoiled with the big paydays,weeks you won't get running solo.Those that know what I'm talking about will agree.If you run solo,and you feel a $4000 paycheck is great,yes you can do that,not everyweek,but it can be done,even in this slow economy,you just have to remember,and this is for the teams too,be in the right place at the right time,thats the key.Whats the right place?This is expedite,that place changes every week.You made big dollars last week,so you try to repeat from the same area,oops didn't work.
For you going to run solo,you have one big challenge,the 14 hour clock.Most expedite loads start in late afternoon,but you delivered that morning.If you aren't able to get 10 off,or at least 8 to stop the clock,your week will will be short at least 1 run every other day.Now that I have bored you
If you must run solo,good luck

Last edited:

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
Phil,
I know you won't read this because you have me on your ignore list

Gee Greg, I think I'm seeing a pattern here.LOL
Instead of (at my request) Phil apoligizing to my wife after being rude to her a few months back, he instead chose to put us on his ignore list to! Guess thats how you're supposed to handle things.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Phil posted some time ago that he never reads my posts, so I didn't respond to his question, either.
I still have some reservations about the EN editor being an active member of the posting community anyhow - I always feel the questions are aimed at getting material for an article. [When Jeff Jensen wanted my input, he always called to ask] I have no problem with ulterior motives, if one is honest about them, but just don't like feeling manipulated, I guess.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
i have been driving sents 92 , have been thru some hard times in past but not like this, i'm ceva doesn't have all there egg's in one basket

now's not the time to come in to this business as it take's time to learn the system of what ever company you may work for

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Cheri, You make a good point, but beyond the point the point being made, you as a successful solo driver can offer those reading this post alot of insight into what it takes to be a success.

I have driven this CV for 9 months, i am by no means an expert in expediting, but i am looking to finish out the year in the van, then either get a 10,000 lb gvw cube chassis and add a box or move up to a 33,000 gvw straight truck. I'll run whichever as a solo, I just don't play well with other over the long haul to team with anyone other then my wife and that would be 4 yrs at a minimum away.

So yea your point is well taken, but, your success makes your opinion a very welcome asset.......

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Instead of (at my request) Phil apoligizing to my wife after being rude to her a few months back, he instead chose to put us on his ignore list to! Guess thats how you're supposed to handle things.

Oh so I am not the only one.

Makes sense.... ignore your detractors regardless what good they bring to the community and control the content that you want to see.

That is unprofessional ---- there I said it.

I guess it is like linking things in posts in your blog, it is not done to inform the reader, snippets do that more effectivly, but it is done to promote the site you are linking to. When I moderated sites, I stripped all of those links and told the people who wrote the "articles" for that site to use snippets, not to drive up hit counters.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Can't say it isn't predictable.
But of course, you know he is reading. He just doesn't log on.

Last edited:

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
Its amazing how some choose to hide behind their "ignore" feature rather than admit they were wrong in their actions! Oh I forgot, some people are always right! My bad. LOL

I for one was taught that a man is always to be respectful and courteous towards a female. Sadly there are others that have not.

Last edited: