A&E shipping wars LOL

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've read about it here, and heard about it from a friend who watched the show. I've never seen it myself so all I have is second hand information. One thing my friend said got my attention fast though, and that is the ridiculously low rates these guys are bidding down to. How do you pay for gasoline at some of those rates? Or, if it's a diesel truck how do you pay for the diesel?

He told me of a guy who bid a run from the East Coast to San Diego down to 800 dollars. I got curious and looked it up online, the towns mentioned are 2750 miles from each other by the fastest way. At 800 dollars, this is less than 30 cents a mile. Further, he's towing a trailer so you know his fuel mileage is crap. Further, according to what my friend told me the guy had to drive several hundred miles just to get to the pickup. So, by my reckoning the guy already lost money before he ever set eyes on the freight he was to pick up.

OK, next question: Again, I didn't see the show myself so much of what I'm going on is either hearsay or what I was able to find on the show on the 'Net, so-- Bright Boy is in San Diego. Did he manage to snag a load coming back, or going somewhere he could make a buck, or-- did he have to deadhead for nothing, several hundred miles back home? Forget for the moment that he was illegal and seems to possess an IQ closer to that of a doorknob than to genius, the question is-- did he manage to find something to save his bacon?

M

morhay

as a hauler from Uship I am very saddened by the image that is portrayed in shipping wars...first off the bidding process is nothing like the show leads you to believe, we ask many questions about the items we are capable and interested in hauling....customer service is very important to us...the truth about the "expenses" of hauling are not revealed on the show, as the hauler most often pays approximately 20% of the winning bid amount to uship...I take great pride in doing a job correctly, proper equipment, routing, safety and pricing that is competitive and profitable while being within reason for the customer. I recently started working with another company called ShipAlmostAnything.com. The operate the same as these other websites with a couple of major advatages. They are currently 100% free. No Commissions, No Contracts, Open Communication. For those reasons alone, I would recommend my new friends on this blog site give em a try. Here is a link to thier site:

Nationwide Auto Transport, Car Shipping, Household Moving and Freight Quotes from ShipAlmostAnything.com

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
I have a sneaking suspicion that there's at least one EO member on that show. :D

as a hauler from Uship

You sir.. Are correct.

I have to in the past. I used it more than once for a back haul when running for panther. The problem with them was uship loads where hard to connect with the shipper, you asked your question, and waited for them to get around to replying. many times they would reply days later when I had already found something else to get out of town with.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a sneaking suspicion there is a lot of stuff on that show that's not exactly on the level. Remember that it's a made-for-TV "Reality show". I've seen enough of those to know there's a fair amount of "reality" that's strictly for the camera--- translated, it's staged. Problem is, there's enough "reality" to make trouble for the rest of us. People, both the DOT and the general public, get it into their heads that we all operate that way, and it gets hard to get an idea like that out of their heads.

hedgehog

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So much of these "reality" shows are staged by the producers. For instance, the water problem on the past show might have been avoided using an alternative route.

BUT . . . if the producers usually can compensate these entertaining drivers to make a problem suddenly appear then it's a win win for the drivers, viewers and the producers themselves in higher ratings.

Also, don't believe the drivers on this show are actually driving for these incredibly low rates. Just another "problem scenario" for the drivers to overcome and for us to actually believe the producers are not making up the monetary difference.

No doubt the "shippers" are also compensated for using their likeness and following an actual script provided by the show owners.

Fun to watch, but not much credibility.

Like "professional" wrestling.

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
Also, don't believe the drivers on this show are actually driving for these incredibly low rates. Just another "problem scenario" for the drivers to overcome and for us to actually believe the producers are not making up the monetary difference.

Trust me. There are drivers on uship that have no cameras or production crews following them around that haul just as cheap if not cheaper than these guys.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I guess I am watching a different show than the rest of you. What I see is some independent minded people trying to make a buck. Isn't that the American way?

Sure they might do some crazy thing, some might not be up to snuff on the laws but I have seen so called professional expediters drive junkier vehicles and do dumber things. We all know some out here will bid cheap even some of the so called big companies. People on here are quick to scream about how bad dot rules are but let these people not know about them and all of the sudden EO people are holier than though. :rolleyes:

Sometimes the best way to learn something is to jump in with both feet and take your lumps along the way. I for one and maybe the only one from the looks of posts applaud these people for having the gumption to get out there and give it a go!

BigCat

Expert Expediter
I guess I am watching a different show than the rest of you. What I see is some independent minded people trying to make a buck. Isn't that the American way?

Sure they might do some crazy thing, some might not be up to snuff on the laws but I have seen so called professional expediters drive junkier vehicles and do dumber things. We all know some out here will bid cheap even some of the so called big companies. People on here are quick to scream about how bad dot rules are but let these people not know about them and all of the sudden EO people are holier than though. :rolleyes:

Sometimes the best way to learn something is to jump in with both feet and take your lumps along the way. I for one and maybe the only one from the looks of posts applaud these people for having the gumption to get out there and give it a go!

Amen xiggi!

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=41.616673,-90.779292

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter

I agree, however I do think they are selling themselves cheap. Equipment wise I have not seen anything that would make me cringe other than the plateless trailer. The oldest truck I have seen is the dude with the cargo van. Can't be newer than 02. But still a decent looking truck.

The chick hauling the bulls looked to have a new truck and trailer. The boat guys have a rather new Ford. The cat guy has a early 2000's Chev.

I run older stuff than they do. It's not the age of the truck. it's the condition that I worry about. How's it's mechanicals.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

Thats exactly what I said at the beginning of this thread...
People doing what they have to do to make a living....and NOT collecting a welfare check hopefully...hard working Americans....Like the guy collecting aluminum cans off the roads....Recyclers paid out over $$$800 MILLION dollars last year to recyclers and we think he is a bum on the shoulder...:rolleyes:

Come to think of it that guy collecting cans is probably making more per mile then we are.....LOL

Last edited:

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
Thats exactly what I said at the beginning of this thread...
People doing what they have to do to make a living....and NOT collecting a welfare check hopefully...hard working Americans....Like the guy collecting aluminum cans off the roads....Recyclers paid out over $$$800 MILLION dollars last year to recyclers and we think he is a bum on the shoulder...:rolleyes:

Come to think of it that guy collecting cans is probably making more per mile then we are.....LOL

My other gig is getting paid to fix electronic trash cans..

Seriously. I get paid to fix these.

100503-pepsi-t.jpg

pays much better than feeding them. however, as part of the repair, I have to feed it 6 cans.. My Soda intake has gone up.

Last edited:

jansiemoo

Seasoned Expediter

We turn in every can and bottle. Even in non-deposit states it makes us a nice chunk of change for something we throw away anyway.
At home, waiting for scrap prices to peak, we made at least a few hundred a year. :)

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
As with most TV Reality shows License is being taken with these so called drivers, its a joke to me to see Haulers on Laptops all making comments back and forth, like Storage wars, etc etc...Typical TV Show, Garbage...Hyped up Drama, Alligator feeding rude dudes who brake for turtles...LOL....Problem is the public watched it and BELIEVES.....RECALCULATING !!!!!:eek:

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm trying to watch it for the first time tonight. Precious little progress. Dear God, didn't he think to measure that caboose BEFORE it was lifted onto his truck??? That's so basic I can't believe it.

Note: My van stands at 6'10''. Yes, I measured. I won't even attempt any clearance less than 7 feet. In my old Sprinter, no clearance less than 9 feet would be attempted. Presently, no cargo higher than 4 feet will fit- I measure and if it's close, I know about it.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have some stuff to move too, but double-doggone if I let those guys touch it. I'll probably do most of it myself and maybe have a friend help me with the bigger items.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Im not really expecting to get a deal done. I dont have a lot of available help where Im at. I need the muscle power more than anything....got the truck. We'll see. First offer was $3,300 something...the 2nd was $450 by a guy with "0" feedback...which incidently is exactly how much I have....lol

BigCat

Expert Expediter
I tried to get them to transport my car and still haven't heard from them. Been 3 weeks now hmmm guess they are to busy with their show. Oh well.