A Day in the Life of a Fleet Owner

MorganW

Expert Expediter
As this group is the best source of authoritative information (along with some unfortunate static) about our industry, I'd like to ask you fleet owners out there to describe your "average day"....yes, I know every day holds a new set of challenges and opportunities, but I think you know what I mean.

To get you started: how much time do you spend talking to your drivers each day? How about recruiting new drivers? Do you wind up communicating with the companies your trucks are leased to on a daily basis? How often are you trying to coordinate maintenance on your fleet? How different is it running 1 truck as opposed to 3 or 5 or 10?

I encourage you to go beyond the questions above, as you are the experts, and it's your insight I'm looking for. I have searched these forums extensively and already learned quite a bit. I don't mean to ask for proprietary information. To give you some background, I was an owner/operator of a D unit for one of the major expedite companies last year. I had a fortunate opportunity to get back into my previous industry of aviation, and came off the road. I still own the truck, and am looking at the possibility of putting it back on the road with a driver/contractor.

For those of you who choose to respond, I thank you in advance for your thought and your time.

Morgan

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
To get you started: how much time do you spend talking to your drivers each day? How about recruiting new drivers? Do you wind up communicating with the companies your trucks are leased to on a daily basis? How often are you trying to coordinate maintenance on your fleet? How different is it running 1 truck as opposed to 3 or 5 or 10?

You opening statement is correct. No day is really the same. Some days are busier than others depending on truck locations or a breakdown. You could easily spend the better part of a day on the latter. That would include road service, possible tow to the final repair locations.
If for example your truck is in a slow location it may require looking for freight to move them from that area. That can be time intensive depending on the location.
In my personal case, I don't talk to them everyday. It just depends again on their location and needs.
As for talking with the company it just depends. You may have in a given week a settlement issue or a issue with a particular load and then you might not need to call for a long period of time.
As you add trucks, it would require more time but not with every item. Some accounting would be the same for example, just more entries.
I don't do alot of recruiting so not much there.
There are other places such as equipment purchases, seeing your drivers when they are in town ect.

I am sure there are many others stories but the above is kinda how my week work outs.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator