A. Blair

Status
Not open for further replies.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Xiggi had a Sprinter with Panther for a few yrs and left them to go with ABlair...seen him in Dallas, he said they were keeping him busy.....

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I heard they pay a flat 65 cents per mile for cargo vans, but most of their trips are pretty long mileage. Do the math...

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You know what that adds up to. Wear your vehicle out without a whole lot to show for it.

It isn't that simple. Compared to the cat my paid miles have doubled and my deadhead miles are down by 70%. I set empty less, have paid for no showers out of pocket, and been able to give several to othet drivers, I have even spent less on drinks from earning free ones. Deductions from the company are lower too.

Just because a company pays more per loaded mile does not mean your net will be higher.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Hey xiggi ! Good to see you in Dallas , and yea thanks for the shower! And i am thinking you bought that new laptop!!:D

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
It isn't that simple. Compared to the cat my paid miles have doubled and my deadhead miles are down by 70%. I set empty less, have paid for no showers out of pocket, and been able to give several to othet drivers, I have even spent less on drinks from earning free ones. Deductions from the company are lower too.

Just because a company pays more per loaded mile does not mean your net will be higher.

I forgot about all those deductions. I guess getting rid of all those makes a big difference.

oncedrove

Expert Expediter

Nothing in the posting which spell out what he does get paid?

Oilerman1957

Expert Expediter
And the search goes on for the perfect company, either not enough miles, to much deadhead, low pay, sitting to long between loads, Come on companies. someone step up to the plate, hahahahaha

greg334

Veteran Expediter
The only perfect company is your own.

There isn't a carrier out there that can satisfy everyone as there is no one TV show that everyone likes.

rodeehos

Seasoned Expediter
I had one of there o/o call me this morning and said all there getting for a s/t is a $1.00/mile and no fsc. Said they are getting descent miles right now, but by the time they pay the driver, fuel, ins, truck payment, and maintenence, there is nothing left. I've said it before on here and i will say again; you can't run consistantly in a s/t for a buck a mile and in a c/v for $.65/mile. There is no profit in those #'s! If you don't believe me, go buy 5 or 6 trucks and try to run them at those per mile rates. You find out real fast.

guido4475

Not a Member
I forgot about all those deductions. I guess getting rid of all those makes a big difference.

Those deductions will suck the life out of the pay per mile. The only way I can see where it is better to go with a big co. with all those deductions is in volume of freight. But then there are more trucks/vans to compete with.Although I do love the people I am leased to, our deductions are next to nothing, which I think translates into a higher pay per mile.But we do not have close to the volume of freight that others have, so where am I better off?And,as you all know, I have not been running that much at all.Found out through the grapevine in the office was that the reason was because of a load offer refused 3 months ago while I was out of service.. from the head dispatcher.go figure.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Those deductions will suck the life out of the pay per mile. The only way I can see where it is better to go with a big co. with all those deductions is in volume of freight. But then there are more trucks/vans to compete with.Although I do love the people I am leased to, our deductions are next to nothing, which I think translates into a higher pay per mile.But we do not have close to the volume of freight that others have, so where am I better off?And,as you all know, I have not been running that much at all.Found out through the grapevine in the office was that the reason was because of a load offer refused 3 months ago while I was out of service.. from the head dispatcher.go figure.
3 months is a long time to hold a grudge from a one time event...most dispatchers have a problem with what day of the week it is....*LOL*

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
using round numbers for your deductions suppose $100 a week and you are getting only 1000 miles a week...thats .10 a mile so that makes the .70 a mile now .60....you are better off at Blair for .65...:D

guido4475

Not a Member
3 months is a long time to hold a grudge from a one time event...most dispatchers have a problem with what day of the week it is....*LOL*

Yes, that is true..the sad part is this person is a great dispatcher, can find loads out of the desert.The other ones do fine, though.

volunteer 1

Expert Expediter
One of two things happening here. One, if you haul at these rates you are helping drive down rates for all other companies out there, that are too low already. The other, the company is charging their customers a reasonable rate and giving you a royal scr__ing.
So which is it.

Volunteer

bludragon13

Seasoned Expediter
I had one of there o/o call me this morning and said all there getting for a s/t is a $1.00/mile and no fsc. Said they are getting descent miles right now, but by the time they pay the driver, fuel, ins, truck payment, and maintenence, there is nothing left. I've said it before on here and i will say again; you can't run consistantly in a s/t for a buck a mile and in a c/v for $.65/mile. There is no profit in those #'s! If you don't believe me, go buy 5 or 6 trucks and try to run them at those per mile rates. You find out real fast.

we drove for A.Blair a few years back. At that time 1.05 + .10 fsc. for s/t. We were told it was lower then previous rates but we would be doubling up on loads and making more because of it. The actual fact was loads paid around .70 and doubling up brought it up to the contract rate plus stop off pay ,not double the rate offer.So in fact we made less,with lower fsc. The miles were long but all at were NLM.a lot of waiting between loads so weekly average miles were about equal to Conway now and Panther. Also ran into hassels at del. because we would be carrying toyota/ford /gm at the same time and the cons did not like it one bit. The A. Blair people are very friendly and have a nice office? I also had problems with the main dipatcher(Dave?). We had an offer from Laredo to Avon Lake,on way to p/u were called to double up.I asked why if only getting 25 stopoff? He told me because your only getting .70 for first load(my mistake for not asking,as in the past an offer was always at contract,) and I needed 2nd load to make rate. I felt that he had been a little dishonest in not being up front about the rate and I told him so ,but I did not ask.) later found found out that he is married to the owners daughter so once your on his bad side your screwed.This is the problem with small companies, alot of relatives working and grudges are held and remembered.
As to the deductions issue, you must carry your own bobtail(not offered thru the company)a good thing, cargo ins was deducted from settlements(I have the settelment sheets to prove it.),advances cost 10 each(Steve does not like doing it was the reason he gave) and after the incident with head dispatcher, the load offers plummeted . If you can make money at the rates offered, our dh was much higher then stated by others, and can afford to run as low as .60 p/mile on some loads in a s/t, then go for it. I left after six months for these and other reasons under good terms and have talked with Steve a couple times since leaving. I am not bad mouthing A Blair just stating the way it was for us and I wish them the best,just was not enough profit for me .

Status
Not open for further replies.