A. Blair Enterprises

goingbroke2

Seasoned Expediter
I see A. Blair Enterprises is now advertising for O/Os here on EO - anyone know about them? My wife and I have CDL-A but have been going broke teaming in a straight truck for tran-stewart then panther ii and are just tired of all the bs. Neither paid the rate they advertised. Are these guys at A. Blair Enterprises the straight shooters they say they are?
don't want to start fights with anyone here, just going broke and gotta find another place to go quick.

pantherii

Expert Expediter
ive seen there ad too, was going to give them a call monday they say teams average 1400 mile plus runs and 4-5 thousand miles a week, if thats true and the pay is right that might be the place, anyone on here work for blair

raceman

Veteran Expediter
I suggest you contact them. They are Louisville, Ky and talk with Tom or Steve. I will not be going into any more detail than that on here. I will simply say I know both of the folks I listed and it could be worth while speaking to them.

Raceman
OTR O/O

darryn

Seasoned Expediter
tran stewart glad to see im not the only one that made that mistake falling for jerrys bull crap

chetjester

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Most of you probably know I drove for A. Blair until I got a co-driver who couldn't qualify for their insurance requirements. I never made so much money driving solo as I did driving for them using their equipment. I had to work my butt off, but my bank account reflected the good decision I made to work for them.

I've talked with both Steve and Tom. It seems they are changing their way of doing business. It's sort of funny, because they really don't know why anybody would want to be an O/O when a company is willing to provide a driver with great equipment, great miles, and, great pay.

I would go to work for A. Blair in a New York minute, except my current job keeps me out of the snow and more than provides me with an income I'm comfortable with. I enjoy driving the big rigs now, and I'm moving into a brandy new Peterbilt 387 next week.

I was never "screwed" by Tom. He was honest with me. My biggest problem was not wondering when I would get my next run but when I would get my next opportunity to sleep. lol

I think they have some fleet owners looking for drivers. I think they are beginning to focus more on the "E" units.

There are three people in this business who I would consider the best to work for: Tom and Steve at A. Blair and Dave Corfman.

I'm so excited to be posting something again!!!!!

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
In all my time with Panther I've never been paid less than the stated rate per mile unless it was offered and accepted at a reduced rate. I did have one time where the fsc was offered at an acceptable level and then paid at about half what was offered. I wasn't then and still am not happy about that. That's one fsc out of how many hundred jobs though? I'd have been much happier if Panther would have paid the offered rate and written it off to morale/goodwill but since the customer only paid half that they only paid half. Actual rates paid have always been the rate quoted so I don't know where saying they don't pay the advertised rate comes from.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5507, 5508, 5509
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

raceman

Veteran Expediter
Hawk I was thinking the same thing. Speaking of the right thread, what is up with the Hawks. I missed the end what in the world happend. The score got close.

Raceman
OTR O/O

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yes, responding to the first post in the thread about not getting paid the advertised rate.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5507, 5508, 5509
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

blacktiger

Expert Expediter
Don't know the Blairs company. The Dave Corfman guy is the same guy as Davekc on here. I was amased the guy spent hours trying to help us out and I don;t even drive for him. Not many owners do stuff like that. Guy knows the business without a attitude

George

chetjester

Veteran Expediter
Driver
When Brenda and I drove for Davekc, he and his wife Grace were the nicest kindest owners. It didn't matter what time it was, we could call and Dave would guide us to success. He was there for us. He understood that his drivers were what made the company a success, and he supported us appropriately.

I miss working for him, but, as I explained, I like my new gig.

Tom Robertson

Veteran Expediter
I can tell you quite a bit about our company, but this is not the place.
What seems fair to say is that we are a small company with a 22 year history in the industry. We don't claim to have all the answers, but we will treat you with fairly, honestly and with respect.
Our best advertising comes from our drivers, past and present. If you read this thread, you've heard from a driver who is no longer with us.
Here's a quote from a team presently working with us...this comes from a thread concerning ex-Conway Now drivers...

Off this thread a bit, I have stated in the past the amount of miles we get a week, this week we have done almost 5,000 miles!
I want to thank the staff at A. Blair for bring us on. They make us feal like family and hate to see us set as much as we do. I wish I had a tractor/trailer to sign on with them......

Rikk Sullenberger
O/O A. Blair Enterprises

For the record... I have been away from the office for several months and have not had the pleasure of meeting Rikk

Tom Robertson
owner
A. Blair Enterprises, Inc.
22 years

blacktiger

Expert Expediter
5000 miles is good if they are the paid ones. Looks like it might make sense to say what your rate is for a straight truck or a semi.
If you run way cheap, the 5000 miles don't mean much. All your money would go for fuel and repairs

George

NoProblem

Expert Expediter
Blacktiger,

They weren't all paid miles, there was 8% dead head this week for them.

Do they sound like they are only making enough for fuel and repairs?

Hey Chet! Glad all is going well for you - be sure to post a few pics of that new Pete when you can!

Shawn, nice to see you're still going strong!

Be safe out there!

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Thanks Chet and George for the kind words. same situation that was mentioned, our current and past drivers are our best form of advertising if we need drivers.
Chet
We as well would hire you back in a minute, but the expedite solo situation with HOS doesn't work for either one of us.
Of course if you and Brenda ever saddle up together again, the door is always open.
We are so glad you found a great gig that works well for you.

With regards to ABlair, we know both Tom,Gay, and Steve personally and they are great folks. I know little of their new owner operator program but they likely would be on my short list of companies that I would consider.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

Rikk

Expert Expediter
My wife and I are O/O team drivers for A. Blair. They are a small company that will #1 Not lie to you, #2 Keep you busy as the industry will allow, and very personable.

Our shortest run with them was a little over 500 miles, BUT this was our choice as we needed to get to the office to pick up a package and our plates. Our shortest run has been around 1200 miles. We have been to the west cost more times than I can count and each time we have been reloaded and back on the road in 24 hours or less (With the acceptation of Oregon, we too time off to camp at a KOA) Steve will tell you, we are here to work for you. I can tell you this is true. One thing about Steve, I think he hates us sitting more than we do :). Just about every one in the office has been a driver, and has been with blair for X years not weeks or months. Steve, used to drive Tractor/trailer, and drove a streight truck for Blair in the early days.

I have been with Con-Way who I do miss, and P2 who I feel had many issues due to the buyout of Con-Way, I would have left Con-way to go to Blair, as this is what I feal expediting is about. They enjoy when we call in and tell them a joke or 2, send pics of our travels, etc. We look at them like our family as that is the way the treat us.

We had some financial problems when we came on and they worked with us beyond the call, not to keep us but to actually help out. We have an older truck and are in the proces of fixing things the previous owner had over looked, not cheap but we are still making a good living with them and are proud to represent them.

As for anyone that would even think of bashing this company, you haven't been here, you don't know how they do things, unlike P2 I know the dispatchers by name, they call to check up NOT just on the load but to see how things are going with us. They actually listen and use constructive criticism, and are not offended by it.

My personal opinion, they are what expediting should be to the O/O

We are there for the long run. No stress (Other than the normal get it there stress) no games, and no BS.

Rikk Sullenberger
Truck 81406

Rikk

Expert Expediter
Read my other post. I will not get into the pay structure as it is not my say. If you have questions call and talk to Steve or Tom. Trust me, As I stated I have an older truck, and am still doing very well.

Rikk Sullenberger
O/O A. Blair
Truck 81406

Rikk

Expert Expediter
Some one asked me for A. Blairs phone number. Sorry, I you can't reply to a private message from the forum. If you will send me your email addy I will send it over to you.

Rikk

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
A.Blair's contact information, as well as all our sponsers, can be found by clicking on the tab "FIND JOBS" at the top of this page. :)

Thanks,

Dreamer
Forums Administrator

--------------

"To respond is positive, to react is negative."
--Zig Ziglar

chetjester

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I know you would take me back, Dave. I also know driving solo with the HOS restrictions can't work for me or you.

Brenda has gotten her dream job. She works as an assistant to the Dean of the Dedman School of Law at Southern Methodist University (SMU) and has just returned from a trip to Chicago, Washinton, DC, and New York with a delegation of judges from the Supreme Court of Pakistan. She met Kay Baily Hutchinson, Judge Roberts, the U. S. Attorney General, Alberto Gonzales, Harriet Meiers and numerous other distiguished people. I'm so proud of her. She had meetings at the UN and visited Ground Zero in New York. I doubt I'll get her back in a truck with me.

I will send pics of my new truck when I move into it. I have been delayed another week.

I just got back from Colorado Springs and Denver and I'm headed to Mooresville, NC tomorrow with another HazMat load from Pepsi.