A BIG THANK YOU!

jaxtrucker

Seasoned Expediter
First off, I would like to thank Rich M for talking with me and giving me some great info, it is really hard to find people that will help you get ahead in the trucking industry. I have found more information, more people willing to help, and just a more friendly atmosphere since making my decision to get into Expediting. You guys rock! I am not new to trucking, but I have decided to lose a few wheels and by all acounts so far, I have made a sound choice coming here. I have been an O/O, small fleet owner and road scholar, but never in a strait truck. If you can handle my questions from time to time, I will be grateful.

Thanks again for the warm welcome,

Ken
OOIDA MBR

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I can't think of someone better to give you accurate and realistic information about the industry.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

jaxtrucker

Seasoned Expediter
Davekc

Thanks, I was given his number from the great couple I am getting my truck from. In all my years of "big Trucks" I have never been treated like an equal when it comes to honest info, this is a cut throat business. For you old hands to be willing to share the "real" deal, and welcome a person with just dreams and no actual experience says a lot about the community I have chosen to associate myself with. I am trying to gain the knowledge that will save my bacon, and you guys are so free to offer a "newbie" like me a chance.

Thanks again,

Ken

jaxtrucker

Seasoned Expediter
I am beginning to believe that! What I like most is the attitude that we are in the best place, doing our best and that will shine through for others. I am sure this will be a culture shock at first but I can adapt to anything given the right tools and support that I know I will get from you people. Thanks.

Ken

jaxtrucker

Seasoned Expediter
Just a few things about me, I have been pre-qualified with Landstar Express America, I am going to be solo out there, I have read many post on the pro's and con's, but if anyone can steer me in the right direction as to where I need to aim myself to stay busy, I would appreciate any input. I am single, kids are grown and gone, I do have a house (at least for now, ha ha), so what I am saying is, there is not too much holding me back. I do not want to stay out there forever, but will do what I have to do. What can I realistically expect as far as time away from the home 20? In my plan, I based everything off of 42 weeks running a year, is that too much, too little? I know Florida does not have a lot of freight moving out, that I will have to DH into Georgia etc. Any ideas, or feedback will help remove the cobwebs, thanks.

Ken

cowboyz

Expert Expediter
First let me say welcome aboard, I can really relate to the cobwebs.
I have only been doing this since JAN. And let me say I learn something new every day. I started JAN, In a tractor running solo, and for that time of year I thought I was doing pretty good. I was one of the "Produce" haulers prior to the expediting busniess. I really enjoy expediting, A new breed, completly diffrent than what im use to. Since starting I have since purchased a DR unit and running a team. So far so good. If anything I can say about solo is, Make sure you can get out of a area after getting unloaded without having to sit for days. Or you get enough money for the load to make up the difference for having to deadhead to a better location. But anyway have fun good luck and drive safe.

Doug & Keith
DR4363
FEDEX CC

THE FINDING IS IN THE SEEKING!

jaxtrucker

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks so much, seems like you made the right move. If all goes well, i should have my truck in a few days, Lord willing!

Ken

jaxtrucker

Seasoned Expediter
Did I say something wrong????? (like Landstar, lol) Seems like a lot of you are from Fedexcc. If anyone can, without predjudice, tell me the pro's and con's, likes and dislikes, of these two companies I am open to anything. You have to start somewhere, right?????:)

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You won't find guys any more knowledgeable than RichM and Davekc. I wish I knew half of what they know. Keep asking questions and pay special attention to their responses. Good luck to you.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

jaxtrucker

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks Leo,

I really enjoyed my phone conversation, Rich is a hoot and as you say, VERY knowledgeable. Trust me, I am paying attention to all of you and I feel very comfortable getting into this line of work. Bumping a dock has been very good for me, and I was good at it, now is the time to try something new and with eveyone's help, I know I can make you all proud! Thanks again for the reassurances.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Jax: welcome! If Linder is correct, & I believe she is, in saying "expediters are the cream of the crop", then you're already learning that RichM & DaveKC are the creme de la creme, for real! Of course, we're not perfect here, we sometimes have sour cream posters, and whipped cream posters, too, but hey - you take the bad with the good, & do what you can with it, and youll be just fine.;)

jaxtrucker

Seasoned Expediter
Cheri,

The good, bad and ugly is welcome, I want to learn it all! I have learned a lot already just reading back and will continue to learn. I will have my truck on Tuesday, be in Rockford on the 13th then.........Looking forward to meeting some of you out there real soon, maybe share a few trade secrets?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Ken, you will find on the Layover Lounge Forum, a long list of fellow expediters who have made it easy to recognize them if you are ever parked nearby. But the absolute best way to meet the drivers you will get to know here, is to attend an EO event, and have fun while you pick up those "trade secrets", lol. :)

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Thanks Cherri..........you are too kind.

Stuck with my spelling:7

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Rich M, total dictonary of this industry. Also a great cheerleader, between him and Terry two of the best people to bounce ideas off of.

My thanks to both of them for some great advice and also Dave, although I never talk to him Rich and Terry I can call almost anytime.