99% no touch freight

hoppy919

Expert Expediter
I see most expediting co's advertise 99% no touch freight. Is that a realistic figure if driving a cargo van? Thanks in advance for any responses.

Ron

TryHoursRcrtr

Expert Expediter
I know that we have 99% no touch freight. If drivers are asked to load something we ask that they call in, and let us know before they do it, so we can get more for them. Yes it is totally possible in a Cargo Van. My guys take the time and make sure that the load is strapped down, and they are on their way.
Christine

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
FedEx Custom Critical vans are typically no-touch: however, more often than not we help handle non-palletized cartons from/to a loading dock. That is called "fingerprinting" and those occasions are not included in the 99% figure the companies mention.

We have never been asked to handle anything uncomfortably bulky or heavy. On rare occasions, we get a load that specifies inside delivery where more money is paid for that extra service. The weights on that freight are no more than a delivery person would normally carry.

I believe all of the nationally known carriers' policies concerning freight handling are the same as ours

Straight trucks with pallet jacks, dollies and lift gates are in a different category.

BigBuzd1

Expert Expediter
I have been in this business for 4 months now and i have had to hand load 1 shipment. i am dual certified to drive straight truck and van and my boss likes to switch me between the two...oh yea let me get back to the hand load...it was a 5lbs box...think u can handle that?