6.0 Chevy Engine

hacpro

Expert Expediter
This post is a question for Teacel if you find time to respond.

I recently purchased a new Chevy extended Cargo Van, the van has the
6.0 engine. According to the dealer this engine has only been out a few years. I was wondering what your opinion on this engine.

Made a trip from memphis to dallas last week, the wan was loaded
with 2900 lbs. It seemed to have all the power needed for that amount of weight. Didn't check fuel mileage but I think it was not that great. If you or anyone on the forum have any comments-they would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Hacpro

Tinman

Expert Expediter
TINMAN

I have the same vehicle. My best mpg has been l5.6. Are you based in Memphis? I am considering relocating there in the future.

hacpro

Expert Expediter
Tinman

I am not based in memphis per se-actually am about 35 miles
northeast of menphis. Haul a lot of freight out of Ripley, Dyersburg
and Jackson-however haul a lot from memphis also.
Thanks Hacpro

D Green

Expert Expediter
We do hot-shot work here (no vans) but I have a driver uses a 2001 Chevy p/u with the 6.0 gas engine, 4L80E auto trans, 3.73 rear. Pulls a 26' gooseneck, loads to 12k# frequently. We run 27 states. Loaded heavy, 10 mpg, pulling empty trailer, 12.5 mpg, truck only 16 mpg.

The truck engine does much better than I thought it would. Replaced the engine @ 215k miles (still ran well, but had a wrist-pin? sounding knock)At Chevy dealer, drive out cost for new engine was $4600, included new starter & alternator. No transmission work yet, p/u is near 270k now.

This driver is very particular about service, oil changes @ 5k, trans oil changes @ 30k. It has been very reliable, & cost runout has been better than the Dodge cummins.

I would expect this engine to give superb service in the van application, with light loads. I do believe good maintenance extends the life of any engine.

FWIW