3000HS Allison Mode Switch

Hyperdrive

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Does anyone know what the Mode switch is for on the Allison transmission. I have the six speed 3000HS.

Thanks
Mike:confused:

Hyperdrive

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
The allison transmission can have 2 shift sequences, one for power and one for economy. These different shift patterns are available by depressing the mode switch. You must go to an allison dealer to find out if your transmission has the two and which sequence is the default pattern.

After three years of driving I just found out that I have an economy setting. DUH My default setting is power mode.

Hope this helps others who have not been told.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Yes. If I recall, though, yours shows each gear it's in as it moves through them. Ours doesn't. No idea why that is.

Tons of info on RV forums about this transmission.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
if the mode light comes on when depressed then both modes are there. somewhere safe, get on the throttle hard and watch the tach for the shift points then press mode to turn on the light and repeat. which ever sequence has the lower shift points is the economy mode the other power or normal which ever you want to call it. simple test straight from allison. also these hs series 3000/4000 are thinking transmissions. they learn your driving habits. if you play around with the way you drive them you will notice a difference in the shift patterns and stiffness of the shifts. if the batteries are unhooked this will reset this also. and it will start learning all over. most normal driving will produce the nice shift patterns we are use to but if you do alot of hard throttling you will get more abrupt shifts. i have tried both modes and never seen any difference in mpg only shift points.