30-day wait for verification is non-sense

fortwayne

Not a Member
While I understand carriers have much more profitable things to do then to verify past contractor and driver employment, I do believe it is idiotic that by law a former employer can take up to 30-days to return any information about your employment to any prospective employeer or carrier you want to run for.

To think I could actually get my own authority just as quick as what a former employer gets to take to verify your employment.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
While I understand carriers have much more profitable things to do then to verify past contractor and driver employment, I do believe it is idiotic that by law a former employer can take up to 30-days to return any information about your employment to any prospective employeer or carrier you want to run for.

To think I could actually get my own authority just as quick as what a former employer gets to take to verify your employment.

Prolly not about profit. I'd suggest if a past Carrier takes that long to respond, I imagine they are jes trying to postpone the new Carriers heartburn. Rather than being able to splain what kinda douche bag the driver actually is, guess it'd be more "profitable" to wait a while, than defending an adverse report.

Can't imagine a lengthy verification if the driver kept their nose clean.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Never heard of it taking that long. Must be too much effort to pick up the phone. One can make the call with a follow up in writing.

GUNSLINGER

Expert Expediter
Unfortunately very few companies will actualy do telephonic verifications so just about everything is by fax(with a signed release) or on specialized web sites. Most companies have dedicated people doing nothing but verifications. I can generally do an application with 15 or more employers in less than 5 days and after that I am on the phone "encouraging" them to return the verification. I only need 24 0f 36 months verified to bring someone in for orientation. If it takes a company 30 days to get everything verified they are asleep at the wheel!

fortwayne

Not a Member
gunslinger - that is my point...its not that it can not be done better its the point that maybe the carrier has people that don't keep their desk in check, its a mess, and they make themselves more busy because they just simply don't have a solid business or game plan for verifying work history, etc etc.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Unfortunately very few companies will actualy do telephonic verifications so just about everything is by fax(with a signed release) or on specialized web sites. Most companies have dedicated people doing nothing but verifications. I can generally do an application with 15 or more employers in less than 5 days and after that I am on the phone "encouraging" them to return the verification. I only need 24 0f 36 months verified to bring someone in for orientation. If it takes a company 30 days to get everything verified they are asleep at the wheel!

Fax would be the next best thing if a phone call can't be done. It usually doesn't take that long.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Never heard of that law, here I have to give info on whether or not someone was employed and do it in a timely manner but I don't have to say anything beyond "yep he worked here".

dletheridge

Seasoned Expediter
Researching
There are such laws. From what I've seen though it's not a federal law, but rather state laws. I think the federal requirement is more general.

The time restriction is to keep companies from "forgetting" to send information to either employers or state agencies.

Just keep in mind, it's the maximum time allowed for the response.

fortwayne

Not a Member
Well, one of the carriers I applied to has already got back to me and approved me to come on board.
Now, it may have helped that I had already drove for them in the past and they knew my performance when I was there, I am not sure, but at least I know I am in at that carrier.
It will be interesting to see how long the other carrier really does take to get me approved.
The one I am waiting on I would be driving solo while the one I will be returning to will have me as part of a team, something I did before and hated, but maybe this time will be different with a guy more my age etc.........or maybe I can luck out and the o/o will let me just drive solo.....now that would be sweet......
Every o/o I have drove for driving solo told me I made them a profit compared to other drivers - acceptance and knowing when and where to move to and out of is a huge key to making it as a solo....IMO that is......

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
To think you could probably lose your own authority just as quickly.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
The last time I looked there is no federal requirement, as of this morning the info I got is that there isn't any law that requires an employer to give you any reference but it is some court case that was decided on a long time ago that has been used.