22' or 24'

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
When thing is a straight truck can't be over 40 feet in length. Sometimes that two foot would put them over.

silverist

Expert Expediter
thanks for ur info.

40' in length.. Is that for all states ? or..
and what if i want 24' with sleeper, what siza of sleeper do i need?

thanks for taking care of newbie guys.. lol

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The overall length can't be more than 40' in the U.S. The size sleeper and cargo box depends on the chassis being used. You can fit a lot more box/sleeper on a class 7 than you can on a class 8 long hood Pete. You just have to stay within the 40' limit with whatever it is.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
This might be a good time to ask. Those of you who have a 24' box, how often do you actually use all 24 feet? I know people talk about maximizing their opportunities by choosing a 24' box over 22', but in the real world, how often does 24 feet actually come into play, and just how did it do so?

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I've had several loads that I was called on because I had 24', and the 22'er ahead of me wasn't enough. I think it matters who you run for (how important it is to them that you are loaded) and what kind of freight they haul. If you run for an unspecialized company where you're just a number, they tend to rarely take things into consideration such as the extra 2', liftgate, or the fact that you can haul some semi freight. So, IMO, every little bit that helps put freight on my truck, I'm all for it... as long as the benefit outweighs the cost.

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
I've got a 26' box, but the price for the box is a 51" sleeper on my Class 8 truck.
You have to decide what your freight capacity vs. creature comfort priorities are.

Rex

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Yeah, I've got an old long nose FLD w/ a 22 ft box and a 70" integrated sleeper. I'm working on a liftgate for it, and with that 10 in plate on the back, it will put me at 39'4".