2014 Dodge ProMaster 3500 3.0 I-4 Diesel vs 2015 Ford Transit 350 I-5 3.2 Diesel

TheOGExpediterGuy

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I get 21 miles per gallon with my Promaster. How are those fuel savings calculated?

Lol come on now estimated fuel mileage in a high top extended gas is 13 city/18 hwy these are numbers by TruckTrend???

- Engine: 3.6L Pentastar V 6 DOHC and variable valve timing
- E85 / unleaded fuel
- Fuel economy: Gasoline 13 MPG city, 18 MPG highway, 15 MPG combined and 360 mi. range
- Multi-point fuel injection
- 24.0gallon fuel tank
- Power (SAE): 280 hp @ 6,400 rpm; 258 ft lb of torque @ 4,175 rpm

Read more: http://www.trucktrend.com/2014/99/r...159-wb-extended-cargo-van/3693/#ixzz3880O58u6

TheOGExpediterGuy

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So if you're getting 6 mpg better than tested vehicles you should write Dodge and tell them your truck is the best they've ever made!!!

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
So if you're getting 6 mpg better than tested vehicles you should write Dodge and tell them your truck is the best they've ever made!!!
Even Ford acknowledged the Promaster gets 20 miles per gallon, I am only making one more than that.

I'm sure that it's great fun to try to squeal the tires at every stop sign and stop light but I choose to save fuel

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Todd ,,,I 've never met Westy...but I have actually seen the V6 promaster at 68 mph average 20.4. & 19.8 mpg...on loads of 900 lbs. & 1400 lbs...all miles in

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 5020W using EO Forums mobile app

TheOGExpediterGuy

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
West I'm just saying that's great but why wouldn't they advertise better fuel economy?! Weird I mean that's a huge selling point IMO ya know...I'm open minded but over last 18 hours I'm leaning towards Ford

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Lol and yet all 3 are European imports in their original design.... Not 1 original American designe in the bunch

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
One in a million, eh ?

"I already have broken parts on order that Ram can't get so I figure right away I'm dead in the water. They had 20 of them in the main warehouse in Atlanta Ga. Great I'll be on the road in 24 hours. So I'm talking to the service manager and it turns out they have the flex plate for it because it's the SAME flex plate they use in the Town and Country mini van! Really! A mini van! They change the flex plates on the mini van on a fairly regular basis. "
So I copy your exact post to my Chrysler RAM dealer, and he sends it on to his guy at Chrysler. Apparently it takes a little time to get a response back but my guy says the Chrysler wants to talk to your guy. So if you would just be kind enough to provide the dealer and the person that gave you all this information I'm sure that after it gets forwarded to Chrysler, they will want to contact him and thank him for reporting all of these critical premature failures of the flexplate and that they just dont have any for replacement.

Now no BS. Just the name of the dealership and the guy who told you all this please.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
West I'm just saying that's great but why wouldn't they advertise better fuel economy?! Weird I mean that's a huge selling point IMO ya know...I'm open minded but over last 18 hours I'm leaning towards Ford
I believe there is a lot of witchcraft involved with factory mile per gallon claims. I can't tell you why or why not someone else doesn't do something but all I can report is what my actual results in the real world are.

After I finish the Promaster in my shop and get a driver in it, I plan to create the first real world 30 miles per gallon expeditor. It will be based on a Promaster cutaway chassis with aluminum box. Of course I will hav the proof with wherever that truck goes... Whatever the results are

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Another variable to consider is FWD vs RWD. FWD allows for a lower center of gravity on the Promaster but I don't like the fact that about 80% of the total weight is in the first six feet of the van. Also what's the deal with air ride seats! Do they ride that rough?

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Another variable to consider is FWD vs RWD. FWD allows for a lower center of gravity on the Promaster but I don't like the fact that about 80% of the total weight is in the first six feet of the van. Also what's the deal with air ride seats! Do they ride that rough?
When the Promaster is empty I think its about 70% on the front but of course when it has cargo in the weight distribution changes to what you might consider "normal". Then again, I'll bet most Promasters never get stuck in the winter! I can't tell you how many times my $printer got stuck!

Actually, I think the Promaster rides nicely whether it's empty or full. However, if you don't know the long term value of an air ride seat, you just haven't been on the road long enough yet!

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
However, if you don't know the long term value of an air ride seat, you just haven't been on the road long enough yet!

I probably haven't been on the road as long as you. Maybe you could explain the long term value of an air ride seat in a van for me.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
I probably haven't been on the road as long as you. Maybe you could explain the long term value of an air ride seat in a van for me.
No matter the vehicle, an air ride seat softens probably 80 to 85 percent of whatever shocks that you would normally absorb through your seat and up through your spinal column. Over time that's going to make a great difference what your discs in your back look like, and all that structure that keeps you able to walk around. You probably will not understand until your back starts giving you trouble and you wonder why.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Lol come on now estimated fuel mileage in a high top extended gas is 13 city/18 hwy these are numbers by TruckTrend???

- Engine: 3.6L Pentastar V 6 DOHC and variable valve timing
- E85 / unleaded fuel
- Fuel economy: Gasoline 13 MPG city, 18 MPG highway, 15 MPG combined and 360 mi. range
- Multi-point fuel injection
- 24.0gallon fuel tank
- Power (SAE): 280 hp @ 6,400 rpm; 258 ft lb of torque @ 4,175 rpm

Read more: http://www.trucktrend.com/2014/99/r...159-wb-extended-cargo-van/3693/#ixzz3880O58u6
This is Expediters Online which means we discuss with the way Expeditors drive, which I am sure it is not the way Truck Trend tests trucks. Think about it. HARD acceleration - FULL braking - HARD turning testing the handling! Okay what's the miles per gallon? Come on! Be serious! The only way to get an accurate reading for miles per gallon Expeditors need is have Expeditors test them all of them at the same time on the same course otherwise we simply we'll have to wait for real-world results.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
No matter the vehicle, an air ride seat softens probably 80 to 85 percent of whatever shocks that you would normally absorb through your seat and up through your spinal column.
I have a long wheelbase Chevy. Any shocks or vibrations that are transferred through the vehicle seat to my seat are almost nil. 80% to 85 % of almost nil equates to almost nil +\- .00012%. Absolutely no reason comfort-wise to add an air ride seat to my van. If you need one for your Promaster, go for it!

Someone recently mentioned ordering an air ride seat for their Promaster. There must be reason it is offered as an option. Maybe it comes standard with the air brake, big rig upgrade package.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You probably will not understand until your back starts giving you trouble and you wonder why.
My back gave me trouble long before I started driving a smooth riding van. One of the reasons I'm doing the van thing is because of my back.

Pro3500

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
So I copy your exact post to my Chrysler RAM dealer, and he sends it on to his guy at Chrysler. Apparently it takes a little time to get a response back but my guy says the Chrysler wants to talk to your guy. So if you would just be kind enough to provide the dealer and the person that gave you all this information I'm sure that after it gets forwarded to Chrysler, they will want to contact him and thank him for reporting all of these critical premature failures of the flexplate and that they just dont have any for replacement.

Now no BS. Just the name of the dealership and the guy who told you all this please.

First I never said the flex plate wasn't available. I said the spare tire stow away was not available. The flex plate as stated in the post was in Atlanta. Your guy at Chrysler can talk to me if he wants to talk to someone. That flex plate going at such low miles is BS. I know of many many vehicles that have never had a flex plate brake. I'm 56 owned a couple cars trucks in my day had some muscle cars like most guys my age and this is first one I have broke. I'd love to talk to YOUR guy have a few things I could talk to him about. However throwing the service guy that helped me out under the bus ain't going to happen backing over a Chrysler rep may.

Pro3500

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I get 17.6 in my 3500 extended high roof. That's what's on the fuel average reading on the dash. Pictures if you want them. I have a conversion in the front for bunking so I added about 500 lbs to the gross.