2002 International's

jwmeyer

Expert Expediter
Anyone else having any major electrical problems, or brake problems? Also, what about excessive oil in the air tank? And, what kind of responses are you getting from your dealership?

streetsweeper

Expert Expediter
>Anyone else having any major electrical problems, or brake
>problems? Also, what about excessive oil in the air tank?
>And, what kind of responses are you getting from your
>dealership?

JW, you didnt say what your electrical problem is, so i'll wing it and guess that your having dashlight and or starting problems?

One of two sources of trouble on Navistar in the past has been the grounding post mount on the firewall.
Another is the soleniod, mounted high to the right on the firewall on the drivers side. Yet another, the juction box inside the cab, possibly behind the drivers seat. (Again, I am guessing)

You didnt say what your brake symptom's are? Losing adjustment? Pulling left or right ? Brake block noise? Air brake or hydraulic?
(Yes people, you can have an air system for air suspension, yet have hydraulic brakes on some models of Navistar)Class 7 & 8 trucks are airbrakes i do believe

You mentioned 'oil' in the air tank. If its grey sludge, your experiencing head or head gasket problems on the compressor itself.

The other problem could be, your airdryer is in need of service and needs a new decadant filter or regular maintenance performed. A constant bleeding off or *pshhht* noise.

Do not run alcohol through it to clean this up, get it repaired properly. (The air dryer will collect & dump the alcohol, if you have one)

If its dumping black or engine oil, you may have a bad compressor crankshaft seal, broken piston rings or other internal failure. A good indicator would be the build up time of air system pressure or lack there of.

Again, you didnt specify an engine make but usually most sludge problems are internal to the compressor.

Let me know if this helps or not