19mpg in a van

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Big deal. Getting 19 mpg in a van. Happens all the time right? Oh, did I mention this is a gasoline van not a diesel? I am surprised by it as I really expected to maybe get 17mpg in best mileage operating mode. The results of about 400 miles of optimum mpg driving resulted in 19mpg though, so it's a truly pleasant surprise. The van is a 2009 Chevy 3500 with the 6.0L engine and 3.73 axle ratio.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Big deal. Getting 19 mpg in a van. Happens all the time right? Oh, did I mention this is a gasoline van not a diesel? I am surprised by it as I really expected to maybe get 17mpg in best mileage operating mode. The results of about 400 miles of optimum mpg driving resulted in 19mpg though, so it's a truly pleasant surprise. The van is a 2009 Chevy 3500 with the 6.0L engine and 3.73 axle ratio.

Terry put airtabs on his van and increased his mpgs by 1/2 -3/4 mpg...

Kmossphotos

Expert Expediter
If your getting 19 mpg. Try putting the Tornado in the intake hose and you will get like 1 to 2 more mpg. Them things really work. You can get one @ Auto zone for about $50 and takes about 10 minutes to put on with a screw driver.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yes, I plan to add airtabls to it as well as synthetic fluids. I'm also considering going up to 80psi in the front tires. I might crack 20 if I do all that. I'm just surprised to do that well with gasoline and the big engine.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes, I plan to add airtabls to it as well as synthetic fluids. I'm also considering going up to 80psi in the front tires. I might crack 20 if I do all that. I'm just surprised to do that well with gasoline and the big engine.

80 psi might be abit too aggressive Leo....the front end maybe to stiff and jumpy and you could lose or sacrifice some control and comfort then the benefits gained....I run at about 70...backed it off from 75psi

Dakota

Veteran Expediter

80 lbs:eek: you might crack a few ribs from the rough ride take it down a little

The Enemy

Veteran Expediter
Just like Ken said, I run 70 up front and 80 in the rears. Had it at 80 up front for a while and the ride war really horrible, really rough.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

My 2003 GMC 2500,get 21mpg, with a 5.3 and Synthetic Fluids in the Engine,Trans and rear end. I also run 70-75 psi in the front tires 80-85 in the rear have no idea what the rear gear ratio is.

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
Synthetic oil makes a difference for sure. I have a 2000 E-250 & got over 18 on a trip down to Knoxville & back. I drive at 68-69 on the speedometer, but it's a bit off, actual speed is about 65-66.

I recall a thread on synthetic oils 2-3 years ago. I don't remember exact milage difference but it seems that a lot of people got 1-2MPG more by using that.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Well, based on the various prior results reported I think I'll try going up to around 65 in the front tires and will go to synthetic oil at 3k when I do the first oil change. I won't be doing them every 3k, just the first one at 3k.

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
I'm not sure if I understood ya, but I read it as you'll get the first oil change w/ synthetic & then doing oil changes at 3k, but not using synthetic for it.

If I understand that correctly, I'd say ya actually don't need to change your oil every 3k using synthetic.

For that matter, you don't need to change oil every 3k using regular oil either. There's been articles in various publications stating this very thing & my mechanic confirmed it. Todays vehicles can go a lot longer between oil changes.

You will need to add oil during that time, but you won't need to change it.

Here's a link about the oil change intervals. If you want more just google "Oil Change Intervals" & you'll get a lot of articles similar to this one.

http://skepticblog.org/2009/02/22/oilchange-rant/

So with even regular oils/modern engines allowing for more time between intervals & I use synthetic on top of it, I tend to go 8-10,000 miles between oil changes. There's even a Mobile 1 synthetic that advertises you can go 15K between changes. That might be pushing it, but it's what they advertise.

Again, you will need to add oil during this time. Ya just don't have to change it as often.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The way I read Leo is he is going with syn oil and at 3k doing a quickie change in effect flushing the system of the old oil...which is a good idea...

Leo, sounds like ya are gettin your ducks all lined up!

Nothing like a plan...:D

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Danny,
He said he will do his first change at 3k.

Then he will use synthetic (which one is the question)

But the next and following oil changes won't be at 3k.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
How fast are you driving Leo?? I think most vans are capable of better mileage but some insist on driving 70 mph+.

kg

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Owner/Operator
Don't worry, the decision as to what oil to use at the first change will be the subject of a poll.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I got the 19mpg with the cruise set on 61mph. I usually run about 60-62 if I have the choice of what speed to run. That also was based on about 97-98% highway driving.

What I thought I was saying was I plan to get the first oil change at 3k miles and at that time to switch over to synthetic engine oil. From that point on I plan to let the van decide when it's time to change the oil with the "engine oil life remaining" system built into it that shows me in the dash how much life remains. Based on what I see so far that will be 5-5.5k miles. Since they say synthetic is good for double the mileage I figure it will be about 10k per change with synthetic.