156,000 miles per year (MPG)

rrockfordd

Seasoned Expediter
I read that a kenworth class 6 is the same as a class 8, except the engine, transmission and rear end. when you say, "a class 8 will work out a lot better than a 6 or 7. A class 6 is not made for this work and as the miles add up, so does the chance of major problems", do you mean the engine and transmission will give me problems? I was thinking of a kenworth with a cummins engine. somewhere around 260-300 hp. maybe like a 4.11 rear or a 3.70? I am still reading, but as of now I know nothing about what type of transmission to get. So far, i know, Allison transmissions are fuel hogs. Of course i am looking for the best mpg while being able to climb the mountains in vermont (max weight would only be about 4,000 lbs, but more like 1,000lbs). I really dont care if i am climbing the mountain at 40 mph.

here is some cool research done on saving fuel:

Container Platform for Aerodynamic Road Transport

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I read that a kenworth class 6 is the same as a class 8, except the engine, transmission and rear end. when you say, "a class 8 will work out a lot better than a 6 or 7. A class 6 is not made for this work and as the miles add up, so does the chance of major problems", do you mean the engine and transmission will give me problems?

Yes, the kenworth thing is not something that will make a difference in longevity or dependability of the drive train. It is the drivetrain that matters, if it is in a Frieghtliner or a Thomas, it is the key.

I don't know of any KW class 6 equal to their class 8. Two different designs and two different applications of trucks and one has strrict limitations on what it does.

I was thinking of a kenworth with a cummins engine. somewhere around 260-300 hp. maybe like a 4.11 rear or a 3.70?

Good for you, did you run those numbers by someone who can tell you if they are right?

I have a Cummins in my truck and a 3.23 rear end. I would never want a 4.11 or even a 3.73 in the rear - especially with under 4k on it.

I am still reading, but as of now I know nothing about what type of transmission to get. So far, i know, Allison transmissions are fuel hogs.

Well sorry but that's BS, the Allison has been used in a lot of trucks in the last five years and it returns good mileage to many who have them.

Of course i am looking for the best mpg while being able to climb the mountains in vermont (max weight would only be about 4,000 lbs, but more like 1,000lbs). I really dont care if i am climbing the mountain at 40 mph.

Like I said, get a class 8.

Doing 40 up the hills is exactly what I'm talking about with your logs.

Is this all for real or are we being setup?

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I really dont care if i am climbing the mountain at 40 mph

Then a Hino would be a perfect truck for you (just kidding):eek:
Also if you buy a class 6 Kenworth, you aren't getting the class 8 engine, tranny, or rear end, your getting the class 6 drive train. Now I have heard that these trucks are built with stronger components, but I don't have firsthand knowledge of this

Last edited:

rrockfordd

Seasoned Expediter
"Is this all for real or are we being setup"? yes, this is for real. i am only bring up 2-3 pallets to vermont, but the contract says i need a 26 ft truck. The pallet count may go up to 12 pallets in the future and each pallet only weights about 350 lbs. it is 250 miles to vermont and 250 miles back. It is an 8 hour ride (total. in one day). I have no waiting time at both locations and there is no serious traffic at the times i leave. It really does take only 5 minutes to load and usually 10 minutes average to unload. Its only 2-3 pallets.

much more can go wrong with a truck than just the drive train.

greg, it isn't that i dont want to get a cdl, its that i dont have the time for a cdl. big difference. of course i would get a cdl if a class 8 truck will turn out more profits. i cant time time off from this gig, i just got it. and i dont want to have someone fill in for me either. it wont look good so soon.

greg, i didnt run those number by anyone, but i read that kenworth will crunch the numbers so i will give them a call and figure out what will suit me best. they will even crunch the numbers for your particular route.

Dakota, thanks for you input. every bit of information helps. i am a newborn baby to the world of long distance trucking. i have been renting for years as i delivered appliances for the previous gig.

greg, here is a posting from ATeam, "Our experience with an Allison transmission was negative, from a fuel economy standpoint. If you are considering a standard transmission and not the automatic (auto-shift, or whatever the proper name is for it...two pedals on the floor), this may not apply.

When driving fleet owner trucks, we once drove a Freightliner Century Class with a Detroit 500 engine, tandem drive axles and ten-speed Eaton auto-shift. We averaged 9.5 mpg with it. Later, we moved into a similarly spec'ed Freightliner Century Class truck, only with an Allison six speed transmission. We averaged 6.5 mpg in that one.

Though, we have never before or since driven a truck that was as quick off a red light as that one. But we prefer fuel economy to low-end speed and were glad to get out of that truck.

I don't know what kind of latitude you may have, if any, in spec'ing an automatic transmission. I believe this model was designed more for in-city vehciles like garbage trucks and city buses. It was not a good choice for an expediter truck that sees mostly highway miles.

The transmission itself worked fine but no matter how light we were with the right foot, that truck ran a whole lot of fuel money down the drain".

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I've had a Sterling with C9 and Allison 6sp and I've had a Sterling with MBE4000 and Eaton 10sp. The Allison is automatic and the Eaton is autoshift. The gearing, tires etc. were identical. The C9 was an 8mpg truck and the MBE was a 10mpg truck. I blame both the C9 and the Allison although I can't say how much each hurt the mpg. Both were class 8 chassis. I will never have another Allison equipped truck nor a Cat engined truck.

Deville

Not a Member
It seems possible to run those miles, but the margin of error is silm. Right now you are all gung ho about getting the work & doing it 6 days a week your self, which is fine & good in the begining. I don't care who you are, You will tire of those 6 day a week quickly.

If it was me I would hire someone run to run it 3 days a week, break it it up a little bit & look for other work as well.

As far as the truck goes, You could go with the class 6, the cummins engines are great motors. You have to kep up with the basic maintence which is oil & filter changes every 7500 to 10,000 miles MAX & keep the chasis nice & greased up.

One issue I see already is that you will be running 6 days a week & may cut the hours of service very close when are you going to have time to get the truck serviced. A truck stop on a busy day could have you stuck there for 5 or 6 hours for a PM. You could do what I do & go in the middle of the night & get lucky & be in & out in 2 hours, but than you won't be running legal.

If you do get a class 6 or 7 truck, have a secondary oil filter installed on the truck, they are worth it.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
"Is this all for real or are we being setup"? yes, this is for real. i am only bring up 2-3 pallets to vermont, but the contract says i need a 26 ft truck. The pallet count may go up to 12 pallets in the future and each pallet only weights about 350 lbs. it is 250 miles to vermont and 250 miles back. It is an 8 hour ride (total. in one day). I have no waiting time at both locations and there is no serious traffic at the times i leave. It really does take only 5 minutes to load and usually 10 minutes average to unload. Its only 2-3 pallets.

Got that. it looks like an easy money run. But load times are just on of many factors to consider.

How do you figure it is an eight hour ride?

If you do hills at 40, that is under your average. You will push the truck and yourself had to maintain a 62.5 mph average during the week.

It is not I am trying to bash you on this, but many of us know what it is like to do this work - it looks easy but it isn't in the long run.

much more can go wrong with a truck than just the drive train.

Yes there are a lot of things can go wrong and it doesn't matter if it is a KW or if it is a Cherry motor truck. One flat will cost you, an electrical problem without a good mechanic will be time consuming and so on.

greg, it isn't that i dont want to get a cdl, its that i dont have the time for a cdl. big difference. of course i would get a cdl if a class 8 truck will turn out more profits. i cant time time off from this gig, i just got it. and i dont want to have someone fill in for me either. it wont look good so soon.

Why not take the time, when you rush it means you have your mind made up and may not see the problems. What's the hurry? Money? Money can be made anywhere. Ever put some thought into Insurance?

greg, i didnt run those number by anyone, but i read that kenworth will crunch the numbers so i will give them a call and figure out what will suit me best. they will even crunch the numbers for your particular route.

Well I got to tell you that if you are planning on buying new, don't. I would get your financial advisor on this and let them help you make a decision. Oh yea you're in a hurry.

Dakota, thanks for you input. every bit of information helps. i am a newborn baby to the world of long distance trucking. i have been renting for years as i delivered appliances for the previous gig.

greg, here is a posting from ATeam

Phil (ateam) has used his limited exerience driving other people's trucks as an indicator of what is good and what isn't and talked about it. As much as he is helpful, that is one of his less helpful comments. The Allison, even one built ten years ago has been a good transmission if it is taken care of. The same goes for Auto-shifts, which seem to be beaten up because the yahoo owning it doesn't get it serviced right.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I am not sure if the eaton autoshift in the Penske rental trucks is the same tranny everyone is talking about, but I've experience good mileage with them.(this one has trhe pushbutton or shifter just like a real automatic, no extra pedal)
They do seem a little slower off the line and jerk you around a little more then a real automatic, both things I could put up with for a 1 to 2 mpg gain though:)
My truck has the Allison and a few other trucks I've driven have had the Allison, those trannies have never let me down. I just wish top gear wasn't turning the engine at 2300 at 65, but for a low horsepower engine that is probably to be expected. I will look into my option on the next truck I lease.

Also if this contract pays you enough why not work 4 days and hire a driver for 2 days, this way you won't get burnt out.

Last edited: