$1500 a Month??

MISSBUDDY

Seasoned Expediter
Hi, I'm new here:eek:....My Husband (Buddy on here) and I are really thinking of going into driving a Straight truck....We know it's slow right now and have read tons of forums and find them super interesting.....We don't need to make a ton of money, we aren't used to living with alot of money but would just like to make a little more......My question is, even if it's slow could we make a couple thousand a month? and we would be driving for an owner 40/60....How much $ would we need to just go ahead a start, our only real bill is our Ram truck payment and Ins.....which comes to about $400 a month......Thanks so much, You people are awesome :D.............We both have a B License with air brakes.......oh ya, and a loving doggie

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Yes, you probably can make $2,000 a month (gross, that is before your expenses and taxes) on a 40/60 split in a fleet owner's truck. The truck would only have to gross $5,000 a month for that to happen. That is a low number for a team-driven truck, even in these times.

The low-number part may be a problem for you. Fleet owners want hard working teams in their trucks who are motivated to make a lot of money. In these slow times, you might be able to find a truck go get into, but if you are not willing to run hard when there is hard running to do, your fleet owner will want to replace you as soon as a more money-hungry team applies.

The other thing to consider, if a fleet owner has a truck grossing only $5,000 a month, he or she may not be in the business long. You might be comfortable and happy in the truck only to find it snatched out from under you when it is repossessed or sold to someone else.

Last edited:

themagicoen

Expert Expediter
If you're going to team I would really reconsider the 40/60 and go 60/40 + 100% FSC.
For example sake -
The truck gets $1/mile
For 1,000 Miles it got an AVG .30/mile FSC
The truck AVG'ed 8 mpg
Fuel price $2.00/gallon

40/60
The truck makes $1.300 (1k x $1 + 1k x .3)
You get 40% of the $1,000 mile pay
You made $400
Owner made $650

60/40 + 100% FSC
The truck still makes $1,300
You get 60% of the mileage pay - $600
You get 100% of the FSC - $300
You pay out $250 in fuel
You make $650
Owner makes the $400

I'd rather have the $650 vs $450 but that's me.

MISSBUDDY

Seasoned Expediter
Yes, you probably can make $2,000 a month (gross, that is before your expenses and taxes) on a 40/60 split in a fleet owner's truck. The truck would only have to gross $5,000 a month for that to happen. That is a low number for a team-driven truck, even in these times.

The low-number part may be a problem for you. Fleet owners want hard working teams in their trucks who are motivated to make a lot of money. In these slow times, you might be able to find a truck go get into, but if you are not willing to run hard when there is hard running to do, your fleet owner will want to replace you as soon as a more money-hungry team applies.

The other thing to consider, if a fleet owner has a truck grossing only $5,000 a month, he or she may not be in the business long. You might be comfortable and happy in the truck only to find it snatched out from under you when it is repossessed or sold to someone else.
Thanks for your replys....I meant could we make at least a couple thousand a month, With our current job that would sound good to us, Yes we are willing to stay out, work hard and Drive hard, I was just trying to get an idea in the slow times if this is possible, We are willing to make alot of money for the owner and for us.........
Another question......Our children are all gone from home now and all we have is our 6 1/2 year old LOVING Dog, does owners ever let you take your pet with you?
Thanks again, we are just trying to learn and see how things are going out there......

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
Some do,some don't,some carriers it's OK others it's a big no-no, and here are some places that will not let pet on property so one of you will have to wait at the front gate with the pet Carrier.

It's always -5 and takes an hour to load when you find one of these places.

If the dog is a deal breaker then that should be one of your first question if the answer is no thank them for there time and call the next on the list

Tempest

Seasoned Expediter
I have my furry sons with me and have no objection to drivers having them provided both drivers approve and you understand that any damage will be subtracted from your pay. My brothers has dogs at home and believes that is where they belong so NO DOGS ALLOWED. I recomend as suggested above that the first question you ask be about your furry children.
We have very very few issues with shippers as long as you have a way to contain them inside the truck (apparently the doors of the truck cant do this?). We have a child gate that we put accross the front of the bed to keep my two 10 pound terrors on the bed.
Another thing you wanna be sure of is up-to-date shots and not just for the legal reasons. Some drivers barely care for themselves and the pets even less. Remember, your kiddies have to do their business where others have and this exposes them to lots of nasty things where a not so well cared for pooch has been as well.

MentalGiant

Seasoned Expediter
Our owner requires us to make at least $2,700 a week gross truck revenue, thats not including the fsc. If I think I'm not even going to be close to that by wednesday, I call my owner and let him about so he can call our carrier and jump their @ss. He has a lot of trucks on with our carrier, so they listen. lol $2,700 a week is actually easy to do though, but I'm money hungrey and want a lot more. hehe

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
A good idea to practice if you are going to have a pet in your truck is to clean up after the pet. Keep baggies or if needed plastic bags near the passernger seat so they are easy to get to when taking your dog for a walk. Goes a lot for the image of a pet owner when they will clean up after their pets.

Last edited:

MentalGiant

Seasoned Expediter
Some owners, not all, will require a deposit for keeping a dog in there truck. Some will say you will not get the deposit back, and some will say if there is damage or clean up from the dog. So, choose wisely and ask the owner how he/she handles the situation after you decide to leave their truck. Make sure its in the contract you sign also.

MISSBUDDY

Seasoned Expediter
Some owners, not all, will require a deposit for keeping a dog in there truck. Some will say you will not get the deposit back, and some will say if there is damage or clean up from the dog. So, choose wisely and ask the owner how he/she handles the situation after you decide to leave their truck. Make sure its in the contract you sign also.
Thanks.....The more i read, I'm thinking i should find a new home for my doggie

MentalGiant

Seasoned Expediter
Don't give up on the Dog yet.

What type of dog do you have?

Ya, don't give up on your long life loving dog. If I gave you the meaning in saying that, thats not the case. I just wanted you to make sure you ask the right questions before signing on with a owner. Plenty of owners out there that will allow you to have a dog, just some have certain stipulation than others, that is why I said that.

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
Thanks.....The more i read, I'm thinking i should find a new home for my doggie

Bad misconception really you should enact the same due diligence to all aspects of a contract.if you think that making sure the dog thing is a hassle your not covering other important things that need covered

guido4475

Not a Member
If you're going to team I would really reconsider the 40/60 and go 60/40 + 100% FSC.
For example sake -
The truck gets $1/mile
For 1,000 Miles it got an AVG .30/mile FSC
The truck AVG'ed 8 mpg
Fuel price $2.00/gallon

40/60
The truck makes $1.300 (1k x $1 + 1k x .3)
You get 40% of the $1,000 mile pay
You made $400
Owner made $650

60/40 + 100% FSC
The truck still makes $1,300
You get 60% of the mileage pay - $600
You get 100% of the FSC - $300
You pay out $250 in fuel
You make $650
Owner makes the $400

I'd rather have the $650 vs $450 but that's me.
But one thing that is forgotten here.If the truck you are driving does not have an apu, and you are paying for the fuel, it can put you in the red real quick while idling the truck to stay warm and/or cool.And there is always the question of the fuel being used for relocating,deadheading, etc.I would think it would be in a drivers best interest to go the 40%,with the owner paying for the fuel.

MentalGiant

Seasoned Expediter
But one thing that is forgotten here.If the truck you are driving does not have an apu, and you are paying for the fuel, it can put you in the red real quick while idling the truck to stay warm and/or cool.And there is always the question of the fuel being used for relocating,deadheading, etc.I would think it would be in a drivers best interest to go the 40%,with the owner paying for the fuel.

Yes, I agree, we found this out the hard way. We did the 60/40 split for a short period of time. It really depends on the truck also. We drive a Hino and going thru the mountains eats a lot of fuel. I remember one week, we were going back and forth from Michigan to South Carolina. We were paying for the fuel. If the owner was paying for the fuel, we would of made an extra $350 for that week. But, since we were paying for it, we ate the cost for going over the mountains.

This is our experience in a Hino though. It may be different in other trucks.

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter

even back when fuel was nearing $5 a gallons i was making more paying fuel then if i was just getting 40% The FSC just covered more when it was that high.

MISSBUDDY

Seasoned Expediter
Don't give up on the Dog yet.

What type of dog do you have?
Hi, Thanks for the info.....We have a Golden Retreaver, He's our baby, But not sure if we could take a 70 lb dog....He's such a good dog and we have had him since he was baby.....But ya gotta do what ya gotta do.......Thanks everyone

greg334

Veteran Expediter
70lbs isn't bad, it isn't like he will rip up the place like my beagles would.

I have seen bigger dogs in trucks, even a couple of great danes.

I would say the dog thing is doable, especially with a friendly happy dog. The only problem I do see is dog hair but again that is a lot of work for anyone.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
How about a pair of great danes in a cargo van? I once saw a h/w team in an E350 at the Detroiter with 2 danes. This van was totally decked out. Reciever hitches front and rear for generator and a storage box. Roof a/c, satellite dish. I wish I could have seen if they could actually haul freight, but I had to go.