$1000 pizza

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
$500 for what?
A 250ml (about 1 cup) of Pedroni balsamic vinegar that's 75 years old, that's what. :D

I hope you got the ultra gold labeled 100ml hand blown Murano Millefiori bottle with the accompanying solid silver bottle holder.
The bottle and the dropper is hand-blown, but no silver bottle holder. It's comes with a miniature oak barrel as the holder. It's kewl. It's gold label, grand reserve, and the 75 and 100 year vinegars aren't even sold on the open market anymore. You can still get their 50 year old bottles, tho. It's priced at about what I paid for mine, except it's now in 100ml bottles instead of 250ml bottles.

Kobe Style (we don't have Kobe beef here) beef is ok but I would rather have the real thing, Tajima from Japan but again most people are not used to good meat. No one can under stand the reason for a Matsusaka steak at $60/100g, but again no one would beleive the process used to produce it, all for a peice of meat - YUM
A few restaurants will have Kobe flown in daily, but those are usually on the west coast. The ban on the import of Wagyu beef from Japan ended in 2005.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobe_beef#cite_note-13 I had a Kobe ribeye at a restaurant in Toronto about a year and a half ago. I don't know what it cost, tho, as there were no prices on the menu and it was my birthday. :)

Kobe, of course, is a brand name for a region in Japan (much like Parmigiano-Reggiano and other cheeses and wines in Italy), but it's all Wagyu beef, which is actually several different breeds of cattle.

Hhhmmm.... A Kobe ribeye, with a desert of a hunk of Parmigiano-Reggiano drizzled with thick, rich, Acedo Balsamico di Modena. That's good eats.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
:) Heck yeah it was :)

Probably got away rather cheaply than compared to todays exchange. But you still remember that first bite. Knowing instantly it was nothing like you'd ever tasted and a texture you'll not forget. The funny thing about the beef is that little of it is actually consumed in the counntry. Exports probably take >80% out.Since I was in a kitchen every day I became a street food expert. I brought home and extra 35 pounds and 4 inches as proof.

It is not only the flavor and texture is was the presentation. It was a real Japanese restaraunt, not one of the fake ones you find in this country. A total life experience. One would be remiss if one did not try that once in ones life!!

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Try as we might, several of my fellow GI's and I could not drink our favorite bar out of rice beer. We decided to stop at one of the local restaurants to get some food before we would try again. I ordered either ( picture Foster Brooks ) pagogee or kagogee can't really remember which. (but it was the wrong one) After chewing each bite for what seemed to be five minutes in my shall we say, drunken stupor. I realized that the rather chewy, meat was one of the local pooches. Nope didn't taste like chicken, nor did it taste like the beef I thought I had ordered.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
I realized that the rather chewy, meat was one of the local pooches. Nope didn't taste like chicken, nor did it taste like the beef I thought I had ordered.
But was it good ? .... enquiring minds wanna know :D

Might shed new light on the term "man's best friend" .....

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
The taste, well I will have to admit that I don't remember that part of the culinary experience. :confused: What was most memorable was the sinewy texture.(not a pleasant thing) Kinda like sticking a bungee cord in your mouth.

About my second or third week in Korea I was walking down to the Village (about 1000 residents) and I heard one very pi$$ed off dog in one of the alleys. Since I could get where I was going (to the local beer establishment) by going down the alley I decided to see what the ruckus was all about. As I neared the place where the barking was going on, the dog changed from mad to hurt. Yep you guessed it, when I finally got there he was or it was being prepared to hang on the rope with his friends. Thats when I learned that correct pronunciation of Korean was very important.

Dog fighting was popular in Korea, (not with me) from what I was told the looser of the fight often times ended up on a plate the next day. You might be able to guess why cats are rather scarce in that country. :eek: