1 Week Off Limit

whitey1

Seasoned Expediter
Is this the new unannounced policy with Panther?
I took two weeks off over Christmas, when I ran my first load, there was no load advance.
I called dispatch, they asked me if I took two weeks off, I said yes, and was referred to Safety to restore my load advance.
More so,
MY PAY WAS HELD!
Because I wanted to take more than one week over Christmas?
I remember reading about a year old post where the team complained about they're pay being held for a three week vacation...
So now it's down to a week?
We hold your pay and cut off any load advances if you want to take more than one week off?
Have they been getting burned so bad by the turnover or whatever?

heel4you

Expert Expediter
yep...
this has happend to us too. It's not in the handbook (that we could find). Guess it was one of the rules they change as they play the game.
Be careful when they reinstate the load advance for the 1st time. They took ours out on our next check! Which was incorrect!
This is a wierd business practices in my book!!!

romoore245

Expert Expediter
This is the same as panther has done to us a number of times, but we learned to call safety before we make our first del after time off. Just tell safety you need to speak to a supervisor and if you are under load they will take you off check hold. If you were out longer than two weeks and the load you are on will not cover the fees then they will hold any loads you ran before your time off, but just enough to cover fees. At the same time no one will tell you why, they will just tell you to talk to your team leader. We once spent three hours fighting with everyone all the way up to Jeff until we were told only the team leader is to tell the drivers why pay is held.

If you don't call saftey before your first del then yes they will screw it up and hold it out of your pay the next week. It may not be in the manual but it is a closely followed practiced. Sometimes you can get the money advanced so that it will be held out of the proper weeks pay but it may take a lot of phone time.
Good luck.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you can't run your business any better other then a cash advance and the service charges incurred then you need to get out of this profession...
Put it on a charge card and pay it off within 30 days NO interest!
Comdata, Tchek are all scams on the working poor....You shoulda been better prepared for this business.

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The way it works is, if you are out of service for two consecutive Mondays, and/or do not otherwise run a load within the week between those two Mondays, whether you are in-service or out-of-service, you are automatically placed on Check Hold.

For example, Christmas Eve I was in-service but I did not get a load. Remained in-service until a few days after Christmas when I got sick and then went out-of-service and stayed out of service until after the New Year. So, the entire time between Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve I did not run any loads. That's two consecutive Mondays without running any loads in between.

They don't know why you're out of service for that length of time, nor when you plan on coming back. Automatically being placed on check hold makes sense, because that's really the only way to ensure there is enough money around for the weekly deductions, like QC, insurance, etc.

However, what doesn't make sense in the rude, inconsiderate and thoroughly unprofessional manner in which it it implemented.

The considerate thing to do, the professional thing to do, is to make a phone call informing you that you have been placed on Check Hold. Not only does that inform you of the fact, but it also will give them the opportunity to find out why you are out of service and when you plan on coming back.

Plus, in order to be removed from Check Hold you have to call Safety and tell them you are back in-service and ask to be removed from the Check Hold, but because they failed to inform you that you were on Check Hold in the first place, you don't know to call Safety and ask about it. Thaaaat's retarded.

If being placed on Check Hold is automatic, then at least one of two other things must be just as automatic. One is, the phone call to inform you of the status change. The other is, when you accept the next load, and are therefore quite obviously back in-service, you should automatically be removed from Check Hold regardless of whether or not you called Safety. If it's automatic on the front end, it should be just as automatic on the back end.

Someone came up with this automatic policy, but failed to implement it so that what should also be just as automatic on the back end was put into place. No one at Panther will admit to being the one to come up with this brilliantly incompetent policy. The truly astounding part of all this is, those at Panther who have to deal with it, and have the power to change it, know they policy is flawed, but can not, or will not, change the policy so that it is implemented in a professional manner. It's something that can be changed right now, today, this very minute, but it remains flawed and in place. Astounding. Truly.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
If you can't run your business any better other then a cash advance and the service charges incurred then you need to get out of this profession...

You misunderstand. While on Check Hold your POD advance is held up, true enough, but the problem is so are your settlements. Cash advance notwithstanding, it's hard to run a business when you get paid nothing whatsoever, not even your settlements.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
It seems that policy IS flawed, and kinda one sided. However, ya gotta have the pipeline full to get something out of the spigot. IF, ya can't wait to get the line full again, then don't do the time, OFF. Pretty simple.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
But, doesn't Panther have escrow money? If the worry is that the driver is gonna just disappear without warning, that money would cover deductions. This is absolutely a policy that should be explained during orientation.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It seems that policy IS flawed, and kinda one sided. However, ya gotta have the pipeline full to get something out of the spigot. IF, ya can't wait to get the line full again, then don't do the time, OFF. Pretty simple.

Yes, very simple, if we were dealing with stuff that passed through pipelines and that required the pipelines to be full at all times. Unfortunately, we're not.

If a settlement is due to be paid out on a particular Friday, it's to be paid out regardless of whether or not the pipeline is full. If I complete a job on time and in full, I expect to be paid on time and in full. If there is a need to withhold some or all of that settlement, then at the very least someone should have the common courtesy to pick up the phone and let me know what is going on.

Being put on Check Hold and having the settlement withheld or delayed doesn't bother me nearly as much, not even close, as them doing so unilaterally, and silently. And no one, NO ONE, will take responsibility for it. I've never seen a place where so many people can be so utterly unaccountable for so much.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
Put it on a charge card and pay it off within 30 days NO interest!
Comdata, Tchek are all scams on the working poor....You shoulda been better prepared for this business.

Wow Ken, too much caffeine or not enough prune juice??? :p:p

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
DD It gets old fast....same ole questions and its questions they shoulda had the answer to BEFORE they went expeditin!!!

How come I can't make money
Is it slow?
Wheres the frieght lanes?
How much money can I make?

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The problem here is that it's kept secret, and that's just plain wrong. It wouldn't even occur to me to ask if a policy like that exists as I've never worked somewhere that did that.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
DD It gets old fast....same ole questions and its questions they shoulda had the answer to BEFORE they went expeditin!!!

How come I can't make money
Is it slow?
Wheres the frieght lanes?
How much money can I make?

Ken you know we loves ya but maybe it's past time for this winter's hibernation?? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter

Like Highway Star said, it's kept secret. And what's more, it's a rule that they changed along the way. I don't mind playing by the rules, I just want to know what they are, and I don't want them changed on me while I'm playing the game.

I don't need my POD money on a daily basis. I run on my debit card. My POD advances get loaded onto my Comdata card and the money just sits there until settlement time and then gets moved over to the bank along with the settlement. If I'm on a Check Hold without knowing it and I don't get a POD advance, it's not exactly a Greek tragedy. I can wait until the settlement pays out in two weeks.

Just the same, when my settlement doesn't get paid out when it is supposed to because I'm on a Check Hold that I don't know about, that's another story. I can still live without it for another week, but it's the principle of the thing at that point - they're playing fast and lose with my money and won't man-up and tell me about it. I do my job, and I do it well, and I expect to be paid for it at the time that they had already agreed to pay it.

When it happened to me this past week, I talked with them on Friday and they were going to load the settlement money onto the card at that time, but I told them not to do it if they could only do it as an "advance" that would then be taken out of the actual settlement the following week. If they couldn't process and pay the settlement in the proper way and on that day (with additions and deductions itemized on the settlement sheet), I told them I didn't want it until they could do so, which is next week. Advances done like that just mess up my accounting. So I can absolutely live without it for another week, but what I can't handle is them playing with my money like that without informing me about it.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
PII did the same thing to us a few years ago, problem for us was the fact that the check had a 850 mile load and back to back coast to coast runs on it. PII acts like it is no big deal, after all the people in the office get their check every week no matter what.
I don't see a problem withholding some money back, but to hold an entire check or two, without notice is a crock of milk duds. PII only follows the contract when it suits them, and will interpet it only to suit thier needs.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Unfortunately, tho, what OVM states is too common an occurrence in expediting. Running week to week is the norm for most. And a little screw up on the carrier's part could mean the difference between the truck moving/not moving and the driver eating/not eating. Not the best way to do business, but I've been guilty of it too, at times.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
OVM said: "If you can't run your business any better other then a cash advance and the service charges incurred then you need to get out of this profession...
Put it on a charge card and pay it off within 30 days NO interest! "

Let me get this right OVM method is to borrow the money for thirty days, and the other method is to pay as you go. So are you leaving this industry?