07 sprinter engine seized???

dean07

Seasoned Expediter
i have a 07 sprinter and my engine seized up on me, anyone recommend what to do, the dealership where its at says they cant do a rebuild, and does not know anyone who can, they recommended a new engine, there is no way i am going to fork out that kinda money with 200k miles on it... and if anyone knows a cheap ma n pa towing outfit, that has reasonable rates, i can use that info as well, the sprinter is in knoxville tenn, would like to get it to detroit area, all your help will be appreciated...

zorry

Veteran Expediter
You may do better having a car carrier haul it as an in-op.
Probably .60 per mile. Plus something to winch on and off.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
You can find a carrier by talking around any major auto auction.
One more going to Detroit should be an easy sell.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
You should take a good look at how much getting the engine replaced will cost versus a rebuild. There will be down time with either choice but less with just getting it replaced. You will have a pretty serious tow bill to get it up to MI which you may find it hard to get someone to go that far. I would think with everything added up it will be cheaper to just get it replaced where it is now. How much do they want to replace it?

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums mobile app

seekerman

Expert Expediter
Very sorry to hear. I'm from Knoxville and use a couple of mechanics for my sprinter work. The one I recommend you call for this is Dave's Transmission on Maryville Pike. The reson for my recommendation is twofold: First, Dave is very knowledgeable on all vehicles and is well versed in sprinters; Secondly, I happened to stop by his shop one day and they were in the process of rebuilding a sprinter engine, so I know they can do a rebuild. I was told that the rebuild that they were doing was due to a bad injector that was ignored and the rebuild was $6,000. If your problem was due to a lack of oil it may be a different story. Their number is 865 247-5808 and ask for Dave. Tell him that John Harb sent you. Obviously, you will want to have a lengthy discussion with Dave as to your options. I hope this helps you and good luck.

guido4475

Not a Member
well i still owe 17 k for it, otherwise i would....

Ouch. I feel for ya. I really do. Back in the 90's, many faced the same problem with the 3126 cat engine, replacing them at or around every 250 thousand. They ended up owing more on the truck than it was worth. Sad thing.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
You have a tough choice to make, hopefully the other mechanic has some better news for you.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums mobile app

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Sorry to hear that your engine went south. Go to the bank, get a line of credit for 12,000 to cover downtime, mental anguish,kicking the dog, and of course, loss of income. 200k miles on that engine? Someone in here is gonna ask you,,,,,did you go by the list of lubes recommended for Sprinters, just ask Turtle, he is big on the book for Sprinters.