AZ scales and under 10,001 lb gvwr.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Some states have the word "commercial" on their plates; woe unto you if your plate doesn't, and you park in NYC.*

PA used to have separate plates for commercial and personal trucks; that changed in the 70's. Now, all trucks get a truck plate, commercial or not. My son pays $204.50 for his F350, even though that truck is a big toy. I pay $158.50, and my van is 98% commercial use. Difference is gvw.

*They "might" be reasonable if the plate is obviously commercial, ie "weighted" NC plates. But that's ONLY if your truck is lettered exactly to their specifications.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
SD is 8,000 GVW BUT they don't want us vanners....its just for the combination pick ups and trailers...3 cows can easlily top 6,000 lbs in a 5,000 lb rated trailer....
my plate is commercial....with a 5T sticker..meaning I paid for 10,000lbs....a 4T is available....BUT if I were to get puled in and weighed and I maxed out at my 8550 lbs...I would be legally overweight by only having the 4T sticker regardless what it says on the door...state law supercedes all...the funny thing there is no extra cost between a 4T or 5T sticker....it is just what you declare...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I just pulled up Az dot web site and here is what it says in FAQ. Click and rest 1b

Commercial Vehicles
That doesn't really say anything about who has to stop at ports of entry weigh stations and obtain weight and trip permits, though. Plus, if you go strictly by the partial answer in the FAQ, a placarded cargo van isn't even considered a CMV in Arizona. Section 1(b) is the relevant part to us vanners, but to get the full definitions you need to click the link in the FAQ.

As far as who is supposed to stop at the ports of entry, you have to look deeper (despite there being an Arizona state law requiring the state legislature by 2009 to create clear and concise and easily obtainable information about exactly who is supposed to stop - they have yet to do so).

First, some important defintions...
In the Arizona statutes, "Foreign vehicle" means a motor vehicle, trailer or semitrailer that is brought into this state other than in the ordinary course of business by or through a manufacturer or dealer and that has not been registered in this state. ("foreign" is a holdover from the days of yore when individual states still had their own domestic sovereignty <snort>)

In addition, "Commercial Vehicle" as opposed to "Commercial Motor Vehicle" is defined as "vehicles based in another state, a bus, truck or truck tractor that has a gross weight of six thousand pounds or more and that is operated in more than one jurisdiction" (more than one state). For vehicles licensed in Arizona, the definition is simply, " a bus, truck or truck tractor, trailer or semitrailer."

And "Truck" means a motor vehicle designed or used primarily for the carrying of property other than the effects of the driver or passengers and includes a motor vehicle to which has been added a box, a platform or other equipment for such carrying.

Basically, if you are exempt from from payment of gross weight fees under section 28-5432 if the motor vehicle were owned by a resident of the state, then you don't have to pay the fees if you are from out of state.

As it applies to cargo vans, if you live in the state (or, thus, are from out of state), you must pay the Gross Weight Fees if (Section 28-5432 A-2) if your vehicle is "A motor vehicle or vehicle combination if the motor vehicle or vehicle combination is designed, used or maintained primarily for the transportation of passengers for compensation or for the transportation of property." or (Section 28-5432 A-4) is "a commercial motor vehicle as defined in section 28-5201" (which covers the placarded HAZMAT).

So, if you vehicle is used, designed or maintained primarily for the hauling of property, or if you are placarded, then you gotta pay the fees.

However, as B1 of the same section above states, you are exempt (in and out of state) if you vehicle is a station wagon, or a three-quarter ton pickup or cargo van, if and only if, the exempted vehicle is operated and maintained for 1000 hours or less during the year for the transportation of property in the furtherance of a commercial enterprise. Most Sprinters are 3/4 ton vehicles, but it's the "maintained" part that makes the exemption not apply. There are certainly plenty of cargo van drivers these days who are hard pressed to get in 1000 hours (20 hours a week) of transporting freight, but if it's still sitting there and outfitted for cargo, then even that doesn't get you off the hook.

So now that all the exemptions and definitions are out of the way, we're at the heart of the matter with regard to less-than 10,001 pound cargo vans with Section 28-2321, which states, in summary, that every foreign motor vehicle owned by a nonresident and operated in this state shall be registered and licensed (the weight fees) if the motor vehicle is operated in this state for the transportation of passengers or property for compensation.

So, to take on the role of the Arizona State Legislature, here it is, clearly and concisely: If you drive a cargo van in expediting and you weigh more than 6,000 pounds, then you gotta stop at a Port of Entry and obtain a registration trip permit. The Permit Table shows what it costs. The trip permits are good for 96 hours, or upon exit of the state, whichever occurs first.

I have taken many loads into and through Arizona, and I have never stopped at a Port of Entry to obtain a trip permit.

Reactions: NorthernBill

akkshole

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
I talked with OOIDA and the only way they get to do this is because we can opt in to IRP and if we don't, AZ still wants a cut...basically money grab. Look at link below...

IRP FAQ's - International Registration Plan, Inc.

As Tom Crowley from OOIDA's Compliance Dept states to me...this is a very slippery slope.

As for who has to enter scales...I just passed thru on I-40 West early Memorial day and they were closed/bypass was on and my prepass did not show any light etc.I had planned to go in to get permit and ask questions.

I still would fight the ticket that our driver got for bypassing scales as there is no clear statement that cargo vans and similar are required to enter scales and AZ statutes as listed say over 10,001 lbs is a cmv.

A big difference between many of you and my company (XPO), we have permanent door signs and branding all the way around so we are more conspicuous than plain white sprinters with no numbers or signs.

Last edited:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A big difference between many of you and my company (XPO), we have permanent door signs and branding all the way around so we are more conspicuous than plain white sprinters with no numbers or signs.
Many of us still run for carriers that require signage. I believe it is probably the PrePass that makes you more conspicuous despite what Mr. Jacobs says.

akkshole

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Many of us still run for carriers that require signage. I believe it is probably the PrePass that makes you more conspicuous despite what Mr. Jacobs says.
I was referring to those that run with no signs at all or magnetic that they only use when absolutely necessary. Not that this is the time or place to open that can of worms but personally I think all should have door signs, DOT#, company etc...doesn't have to be all around like our but door signs minimum.

jcochristoph

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I personally far prefer not to have my beautiful $46,000 van used as free advertising for any company. I use it for personal and family as well. I wouldn't be able to camp and drive on the "parkways" in many places, drive the Blue Ridge or through some National Parks.
I've also experienced damage and vandalism by other drivers from my competitors when I was "logo's up" in the past!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was referring to those that run with no signs at all or magnetic that they only use when absolutely necessary. Not that this is the time or place to open that can of worms but personally I think all should have door signs, DOT#, company etc...doesn't have to be all around like our but door signs minimum.
There are customers that ask for unmarked vans...like when we do blind shipments.. We are specifically instructed to say we are picking up for XPO

Reactions: jcochristoph

akkshole

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Yeah, so that way xpo freight doesn't have to go on an xpo truck...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Because blind shipments are of course mainly about hiding the carrier and not the shipper or receiver. :rolleyes:

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Yeah, so that way xpo freight doesn't have to go on an xpo truck...
That's so many carriers can farm loads out to cheaper carriers and make more $$$ while their drivers sit, which costs the carrier nothing. Just Sayin' and not accusing all.

jcochristoph

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
That may be the case in some scenarios but not always. Carriers catch flak when another a different company van shows up at the shipper when the shipper thought they were shipping on so and so... Their driver may have had an issue preventing them from making the pick up.... Or the company won the bid and wants to cover the load under their name... Nothing wrong with that in a free market enterprise system.
O/O 's can always switch companies if they suspect that company is under cutting their own drivers... But it doesn't make good business sense for a carrier to do that...for a variety of reasons.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
XPO Dispatcher once ask me if I wanted the load or not. I can make more money by selling it. I told her to sell it, keep my stocks up.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was referring to those that run with no signs at all or magnetic that they only use when absolutely necessary.
I realize that. Even if you didn't have signage you are a marked van with the PrePass when approaching scales.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Because blind shipments are of course mainly about hiding the carrier and not the shipper or receiver. :rolleyes:
I find that most of the blind shipments I do are to hide the shipper.
Please note the rolling of the eyes to indicate sharp sarcasm. My comment was in response to OVM's comment about customers asking for unmarked vans, such as when his carrier does blind shipments.

Blind shipments are about hiding the shipper or receiver, or both. Not about hiding the carrier. The only time someone wants to hide the carrier is when somebody somewhere is trying to pull a fast one.

acvox24

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Please note the rolling of the eyes to indicate sharp sarcasm. My comment was in response to OVM's comment about customers asking for unmarked vans, such as when his carrier does blind shipments.

Blind shipments are about hiding the shipper or receiver, or both. Not about hiding the carrier. The only time someone wants to hide the carrier is when somebody somewhere is trying to pull a fast one.

Just trying to beat Ragman to the punchImageUploadedByEO Forums1464886234.841249.jpg

Reactions: Ragman