AZ scales and under 10,001 lb gvwr.

akkshole

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
I have a question, have made some phone calls (OOIDA, AZ DOT, others) but noone available on Sundays.

A Sprinter for my company was cited for not entering a scale in AZ. They have prepass/ez pass combo like most of our vehicles (mine is listed as over 7,000 lbs but under 10,001 lbs and 2 axles). From what I have gathered so far his red light came on and he still bypassed the scale as I would also. (I only have had the light come on while traveling North on I-75 at Georgetown, KY scale north of Lexington) and it does so EVERY time.

My understanding is under 10k lbs, we are not "technically" commercial motor vehicles.

But, AZ DOT website states that any vehicle for hire over 6000 lbs must purchase a trip permit.

Being a bit of a guard house lawyer, if AZ does not require you to enter the scales under 10,001 lbs, how are can we be cited for not entering a scale.

Tomorrow I will be making phone calls to multiple sources once they are in their offices, but appreciate any feedback.

Attachments

• 1463958630247.jpg
    1463958630247.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 56

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a question, have made some phone calls (OOIDA, AZ DOT, others) but noone available on Sundays.

A Sprinter for my company was cited for not entering a scale in AZ. They have prepass/ez pass combo like most of our vehicles (mine is listed as over 7,000 lbs but under 10,001 lbs and 2 axles). From what I have gathered so far his red light came on and he still bypassed the scale as I would also. (I only have had the light come on while traveling North on I-75 at Georgetown, KY scale north of Lexington) and it does so EVERY time.

My understanding is under 10k lbs, we are not "technically" commercial motor vehicles.

But, AZ DOT website states that any vehicle for hire over 6000 lbs must purchase a trip permit.

Being a bit of a guard house lawyer, if AZ does not require you to enter the scales under 10,001 lbs, how are can we be cited for not entering a scale.

Tomorrow I will be making phone calls to multiple sources once they are in their offices, but appreciate any feedback.
I always go in if they are open and get a trip permit. The trip permit is valid for 30 days. Now if they are closed just remember what time you went by because if you get pulled over for any reason they will ask for your trip permit (ask me how I know) if you don't have one they will ask if you entered the port of entry and of course you will tell them they were closed when you went by, hence you tell him it was (the actual time you passed the scale) because they will verify if scale was closed. If it checks out he will let you off if not guess what you set cited. I also believe they can confiscate your vehicle if they wanted to without one.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Says it applies if your a foreign-based interstate carrier. What does that mean? Canada, Mexico??? Strange wording.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
I went through AZ a few times and I never stopped. Maybe I was just lucky.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Number one why do you have prepass, we don't stop at scales, that is unless your have a placards on the side of the van.

Two, I've never stopped at the Az scale in over 5 years.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Because your vehicle has prepass and got a red light, that is why he was stopped. If no prepass no stop.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Can the Pre-Pass be disabled without having an effect on the EZ-Pass?

I never stopped at weigh stations in Canada because I never found a scale in the U.S. to weigh my van that gave the weight in kilograms.

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That's no longer necessary. (FYI)
In Canada? I didn't do it for long time... every time when I was crossing their scales, they looked bored, or more, they weren't paying attention to me, so one day I said enough is enough. They never came after me, so... :cool:

Reactions: brokcanadian

akkshole

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
We have prepass/ez pass combo...not going to run w/o because I pay a flat weekly fee and they cover the tolls.
And, it was one of our other drivers that had this happen and weekend ops person asked me about it. I have asked them multiple times if we had to get permits or anything in AZ or NM and have been told I should be ok. Now since someone else got hit with this I decided to get to the truth before I had a problem. I would be thinking with our ops people saying we should be fine that I would be covered the first time I was stopped unless we are notified differently.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
We have prepass/ez pass combo...not going to run w/o because I pay a flat weekly fee and they cover the tolls.
And, it was one of our other drivers that had this happen and weekend ops person asked me about it. I have asked them multiple times if we had to get permits or anything in AZ or NM and have been told I should be ok. Now since someone else got hit with this I decided to get to the truth before I had a problem. I would be thinking with our ops people saying we should be fine that I would be covered the first time I was stopped unless we are notified differently.
get it in writing....unfortunately knowing the different laws of the different states comes down to driver responsibility...
at least in writing you may stand a chance to get reimbursed if this should pop up in your future...

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Arizona does not recognize commercial registrations from other states on vehicles over 6000 lbs gvw. Would be like not having any plates according to them. Ever wondered why Penske and uhaul have apportioned plates on all of their vehicles, all the way down to their pick ups? Now you know.

There have been people who posted pics of their vehicles and are running with non commercial plates, you might be able to get away with as long as the windows are covered up and they can't see what's inside.

If your vehicle is plated in a state that does not use different plates for commercial (like Florida) then they would have to run the plate or see you registration to know if it's commercial or not.

States like Ohio are real easy to see commercial plates, they say truck on them and they all begin with the letter "P".

akkshole

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Just spoke with Tom in Compliance at OOIDA and he is going to look into all of this and I will update what he comes up with...a) under 10,001 lbs being cited for bypassing a scale, and b) over 6,000 lb gvwr vehicles required to have trip permits etc.