May Flowers

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Maine makes my 47th state in 13 months
My unicorn (mythical creature that can't be caught) was Rhode Island. I needed to have both a delivery and a pickup in a state before I would "x" it off. I banged the other 47 out pretty wispy, within my first year. But Rhode Island, man, it was more than 6 years before I had either a pickup or a delivery there, and I managed to get both the same day.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ponds have frogs. I hate frogs. They freak me out. If I see one I go the other way.

Strange- last night I got myself woken by a scream coming from the kitchen. My wife was standing by the back door pointing towards the kitchen. Frog, frog was all she said. I put the gun down and spent the next 10 minutes chasing a nice Bull Frog. We keep the back door open all day for the dog to come and go. He was sleeping the whole time during the frog hunt.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Had the regular run to WV...was treated to an air show on the way there...someone in a stunt plane was pulling out all the stops over the QEW, loops rolls the whole bit...did a stall right over the highway and hung there for a few seconds, then buzzed low enough I could almost make him (her?) out in the cockpit...

On the way back the sky filled up with tendrils of light from one side to the other...around mile 100 in PA on I79... saw it for 5 minutes until thru the hills I saw these large multicolored things that kinda looked like obelisks, chrysalis maybe..laser light show, in the blink of an eye there was green lines stretching out miles in every direction, sometimes moving...somebody tell me what it was about, it was awesome

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Not that anyone cares, but the difference between a lake and a pond, insofar as nomenclature is concerned, is whatever you want to call it. If you want to call it a lake, it's a lake. Call it a pond, it's a pond. Same thing with river and creek. It's whatever someone called it and named it. Some state agencies claim lakes are bodies of water larger than 2 acres. In Montana, the minimum water surface area of a lake is 20 acres. But even in Montana, if you own a 25 acre lake and want to call it a pond, it's a pond.

But from an ecological and geological perspective, if the water is deep enough that light does not penetrate to the bottom, and photosynthesis is limited to the top layer, the body of water is considered a lake. A pond is a body of water shallow enough to support rooted plants.

The depth that light will penetrate depends on turbidity (how clear the water is), angle of the sun (latitudes closer to the Equator receive light from the Sun at shallower angles), and other factors, of course. The rather turbid Lake Pontchartrain in Louisiana is huge, 630 square miles (403,200 acres). But outside of the shipping channels which are dredged deeper, the maximum depth of the lake is 15 feet, and is usually between 12-14 feet deep.

In Lake Pontchartrain, photosynthesis takes place all the way to the bottom (except the shipping channels, of course), making it technically a pond. :fishing:

Lake Baikal in Siberia is the world's oldest, largest, and deepest freshwater lake. Nearly a mile deep and holding over 23,000 cubic kilometers water, it would require the total volume of all the Great Lakes to fill it up if it were ever drained.

Reactions: FlyingVan

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not that anyone cares, but the difference between a lake and a pond, insofar as nomenclature is concerned, is whatever you want to call it. If you want to call it a lake, it's a lake. Call it a pond, it's a pond. Same thing with river and creek. It's whatever someone called it and named it. Some state agencies claim lakes are bodies of water larger than 2 acres. In Montana, the minimum water surface area of a lake is 20 acres. But even in Montana, if you own a 25 acre lake and want to call it a pond, it's a pond.

But from an ecological and geological perspective, if the water is deep enough that light does not penetrate to the bottom, and photosynthesis is limited to the top layer, the body of water is considered a lake. A pond is a body of water shallow enough to support rooted plants.

The depth that light will penetrate depends on turbidity (how clear the water is), angle of the sun (longitudes closer to the Equator receive light from the Sun at shallower angles), and other factors, of course. The rather turbid Lake Pontchartrain in Louisiana is huge, 630 square miles (403,200 acres). But outside of the shipping channels which are dredged deeper, the maximum depth of the lake is 15 feet, and is usually between 12-14 feet deep.

In Lake Pontchartrain, photosynthesis takes place all the way to the bottom (except the shipping channels, of course), making it technically a pond. :fishing:

Lake Baikal in Siberia is the world's oldest, largest, and deepest freshwater lake. Nearly a mile deep and holding over 23,000 cubic kilometers water, it would require the total volume of all the Great Lakes to fill it up if it were ever drained.
Somebody started drinking early :D

Informative read though, I'm stuck home today

Edit: 23,000 cubic kilometers would be a lot of beer

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
On the way back the sky filled up with tendrils of light from one side to the other...around mile 100 in PA on I79... saw it for 5 minutes until thru the hills I saw these large multicolored things that kinda looked like obelisks, chrysalis maybe..laser light show, in the blink of an eye there was green lines stretching out miles in every direction, sometimes moving...somebody tell me what it was about, it was awesome

Multiple sources photographed the sighting....

ufo.jpg

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
.....maybe a dried spicy tarantula
canned-tarantula-spider-525x700.jpg

Reactions: brokcanadian