Redundant questions of an expediter

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
How much experience do you have and why dont you just take a solo driving job. You will make roughly the same amount as splitting it with a co driver !!!!!!

Twiggy

Rookie Expediter
Gratuitous use of exclamations, you are passionate. Lol
I have absolutely zero experience in expedite. I do although have ten years experience driving boom and dump trucks, mostly combined.
My reasoning behind team driving was that it seemed a wise decision while getting feet wet. Having another's insight can be a very valuable business prospective. Just hoping this person is business savvy.
Unfortunately I still haven't been matched up. There were a couple attempts but I turned down the partner because they had no endorsements. My specific request was to be matched up with a driver with the same endorsements but it seems it's fallen upon deaf ears.
I have Hazmat/Tanker/ and pass card is coming in mail as we speak, is this not common to have? i settled yesterday with the recruiter to just be matched up with a hazmat driver without pass card and tanker because I was advised it doesn't really make you any more money and it's hard to find in your area. Does this sound legitimate? I didn't think so because it's contrary to all other advise I've received either from this forum or other recruiters and company owners.

Twiggy

Rookie Expediter
Well they just told me that I offended a driver by not agreeing to drive with him because he didn't have the endorsements that I have and that they won't stand for it. Also stated that I am too picky.
Complete lies and I am completely confused by this situation. I was completely professional and polite with this young man.
Thanks for having me wait four weeks and then tell me off.
In fact the guy I talked to seemed to be disinterested in the whole idea of driving and I talked to my wife about how I was surprised this guy even applied. Also, expediters said he lived in Atlanta when in fact he lives in Pensacola.
What a joke

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Wow! Sorry it didn't work out :(
I really don't see why you can't get a solo gig elsewhere right away. Good Luck.

kastmgmt

Not a Member
Twiggy, honestly can't say that I DIDN'T see that coming. No offense or nothing personal, but if I were ES I would've told you too take a hike a long time ago.

kastmgmt

Not a Member
Well, for 1: ES is a fleet where alot of expedite newbies start their careers, alot of these folks are super green and don't know what these endorsements are (or even needed.)

2: A tanker endorsement is a awsome endorsement that I would recommend any driver have AS A BACK UP PLAN (not a requirement.) It doesn't do a whole lot in a ST. I say have it as a backup plan because so many drivers say they are struggling, but you really hear tanker rig drivers with the same gripe.

3: Knowing that ES is a starter company I think it would make more sense to give a co-driver a shot and see if they are willing to obtain the same endorsements (I mean actually drive in the truck with the person.) Find out if your endorsements actually effect the loads/pay that you haul.

Fact of the matter is you're not going to be able to have say over a truck that you don't own (sometimes even if you do own it.) Despite what you might have read what a veteran expediter has posted on EO. I understand completely that you want to make as much money as possible (we all do) even ES.
From your posts ES has tried to accommodate your request and they were unsuccessful, either cut them some slack or make your own way.

Reactions: jjtdrv4u

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
2: A tanker endorsement is a awsome endorsement that I would recommend any driver have AS A BACK UP PLAN (not a requirement.) It doesn't do a whole lot in a ST. I say have it as a backup plan because so many drivers say they are struggling, but you really hear tanker rig drivers with the same gripe.
If you want to haul those liquid totes (IBC - Intermediate Bulk Containers) in a straight truck, you'll probably need a tank endorsement. If the totes have a capacity of more than 119 gallons, and the total capacity of the the totes hauled is 1000 gallons or more, then you need the endorsement. Those 48x48x48 totes are 250 gallons. If you have 4 of those on board, there ya go, even if there's only 20 gallons in each one.

393.5 Definitions - Tank vehicle means any commercial motor vehicle that is designed to transport any liquid or gaseous materials within a tank or tanks having an individual rated capacity of more than 119 gallons and an aggregate rated capacity of 1,000 gallons or more that is either permanently or temporarily attached to the vehicle or the chassis.

In the interpretations to 393.5 there are two related questions:
Question 13: Does the new definition include loaded intermediate bulk containers (IBCs) or other tanks temporarily attached to a CMV?
Guidance: Yes. The new definition is intended to cover (1) a vehicle transporting an IBC or other tank used for any liquid or gaseous materials, with an individual rated capacity of 1,000 gallons or more that is either permanently or temporarily attached to the vehicle or chassis; or (2) a vehicle used to transport multiple IBCs or other tanks having an individual rated capacity of more than 119 gallons and an aggregate rated capacity of 1,000 gallons or more that are permanently or temporarily attached to the vehicle or the chassis.

Question 14: On May 9, 2011, FMCSA revised the definition of "tank vehicle." Does the new definition cover the transportation of empty intermediate bulk containers (IBCs) or other tanks, or empty storage tanks?
Guidance: No. The definition of "tank vehicle" does not cover the transportation of empty IBCs or other tanks when these containers are manifested as either empty or as residue on a bill of lading.

kastmgmt

Not a Member
Okay, how many tanker loads does ES haul of this nature? How many ES drivers have tanker endorsements? If ES hauls hazardous material, why are they having the darnest time finding a hazmat driver, when a fleet owner (with ES) said he doesn't have enough trucks to keep up with drivers.
If you want to haul those liquid totes (IBC - Intermediate Bulk Containers) in a straight truck, you'll probably need a tank endorsement. If the totes have a capacity of more than 119 gallons, and the total capacity of the the totes hauled is 1000 gallons or more, then you need the endorsement. Those 48x48x48 totes are 250 gallons. If you have 4 of those on board, there ya go, even if there's only 20 gallons in each one.

In the interpretations to 393.5 there are two related questions:

Last edited:

kastmgmt

Not a Member
Twiggy, Turtle provided a great regulation, BUT, you have to understand trucking is a highly regulated industry. Just because there is a rule in place doesn't necessarily mean there is an abundance of that type of work for a ST. Alot of these totes are being opened up and put in a tanker straight truck. Just like alot of loads that were considered expedite loads are getting put on a trailer as LTL.

The point of me coming outta the woodwork is not to tell you your endorsements are unnecessary, I'm just saying the next guy might not feel it's necessary to have.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Okay, how many tanker loads does ES haul of this nature? How many ES drivers have tanker endorsements?
I have no idea, and, I have no idea. I would think if people at ES thought the tanker endorsement is merely a backup plan and doesn't do a whole lot in a straight truck, the answers to both of those would be a really, really low number, though.
If ES hauls hazardous material, why are they having the darnest time finding a hazmat driver, when a fleet owner (with ES) said he doesn't have enough trucks to keep up with drivers.
That feels like a bonus question.

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
Okay, how many tanker loads does ES haul of this nature? How many ES drivers have tanker endorsements? If ES hauls hazardous material, why are they having the darnest time finding a hazmat driver, when a fleet owner (with ES) said he doesn't have enough trucks to keep up with drivers.

That's not a real fair comparison. Look at the scale. Es has hundreds of trucks. I have less than a dozen. Big difference. Also, we haul a lot of tanker required loads at the fed. Can't speak for panther although I assume they do as well. I don't require it for my teams but I do highly encourage it and most have it. We haul a lot of paint/ink/chemical that requires tanker with hazmat.

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
Twiggy, Turtle provided a great regulation, BUT, you have to understand trucking is a highly regulated industry. Just because there is a rule in place doesn't necessarily mean there is an abundance of that type of work for a ST. Alot of these totes are being opened up and put in a tanker straight truck. Just like alot of loads that were considered expedite loads are getting put on a trailer as LTL.

The point of me coming outta the woodwork is not to tell you your endorsements are unnecessary, I'm just saying the next guy might not feel it's necessary to have.

Twiggy, the endorsement costs $10-$15 in most states. If you get 1 load ever off it you've made back your investment. Like I said, we haul quite a few loads like that.

kastmgmt

Not a Member
Twiggy, the endorsement costs $10-$15 in most states. If you get 1 load ever off it you've made back your investment. Like I said, we haul quite a few loads like that.
Then why don't you set ES up with a driver trying to get on your fleet that has a tanker endorsement?

Twiggy

Rookie Expediter
Well I only was matched up with two drivers, the first one I called had his phone service cancelle, so I never got to speak with him. The second one which was given to me only a few days ago was in Pensacola Florida which is way too far away for me. Five and a half hours south without traffic to be exact. They did have a partner the first day I talked to the recruiter but he wanted me to catch a bus literally immediately. Obviously that wasn't going to happen. So, only one person that I spoke to and to be honest the way he was talking about driving it seemed like he didn't even want to do it, that was a big factor into why I didn't choose to drive with him as well as no hazmat and being 5 1/2 hours south.
The particular recruiter I had a basically had a falling out with was not very professional anyhow. She was annoyed by my questions about the business and wasn't shy about sharing her feelings about me to the other recruiters around her stating to them " ugh, he just keeps talking."
I did tell them that I would drive with a hazmat driver without any other endorsements only for the reason that I was excited to get on the ball to haul D.O.D. Loads of they were offered. Anything I can do to open opportunities. I figured that a hazmat endorsement would weed out any riff raff that may have a record. So basically I had a game plan.
In the end I think that my particular recruiter was new to recruiting and wasn't very good at it. Always snooty, always messing up information, arrogant, liked to bring up her bad marriage a lot, and in the end being told that I " hurt his feelings" because I didn't accept him and the they " don't stand for that" stating that I made him feel " inadequate".
Idk, I think I got the short end of the stick and by the luck of the draw may have gotten a recruiter with personal issues and wasn't really focused on the task at hand. She even told me that this guy lived in Atlanta close to me. Pensacola and Atlanta are quite the distance apart. I never requested anyone exactly in Atlanta, in fact we talked about a radius as far as Columbia South Carolina being okay. I really found it hard to believe that in all the city of atlanta that there wasn't one other hazmat driver that was to be recruited by them in four weeks.
Regardless, the situation is what it is. I called ES and requested another recruiter but I was told that it's against their policy to do so. So that is that.
Going to start over this process and try again.

Last edited:

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
Then why don't you set ES up with a driver trying to get on your fleet that has a tanker endorsement?

You see my ads all over EO and on craigslist and truck paper? No, I didn't think so. I am not in the business of spending money trying to recruit drivers when I have no spots available and because of that I have no drivers talking to me. I have a few teams that have mentioned a desire to come work with us but I have no truck for them. When I do get a random call or private message on here I pass them on the info of 4 or 5 fleet owners that do have trucks available based on what the person is looking to do. In this persons case ES would be the best fit of the people I work with.

I do appreciate your insight in how to run my business though. I will take what you say into consideration and see if it fits into the business model we have decided to use.

kastmgmt

Not a Member
Well I only was matched up with two drivers, the first one I called had his phone service cancelle, so I never got to speak with him. The second one which was given to me only a few days ago was in Pensacola Florida which is way too far away for me. Five and a half hours south without traffic to be exact. They did have a partner the first day I talked to the recruiter but he wanted me to catch a bus literally immediately. Obviously that wasn't going to happen. So, only one person that I spoke to and to be honest the way he was talking about driving it seemed like he didn't even want to do it, that was a big factor into why I didn't choose to drive with him as well as no hazmat and being 5 1/2 hours south.
The particular recruiter I had a basically had a falling out with was not very professional anyhow. She was annoyed by my questions about the business and wasn't shy about sharing her feelings about me to the other recruiters around her stating to them " ugh, he just keeps talking."
I did tell them that I would drive with a hazmat driver without any other endorsements only for the reason that I was excited to get on the ball to haul D.O.D. Loads of they were offered. Anything I can do to open opportunities. I figured that a hazmat endorsement would weed out any riff raff that may have a record. So basically I had a game plan.
In the end I think that my particular recruiter was new to recruiting and wasn't very good at it. Always snooty, always messing up information, arrogant, liked to bring up her bad marriage a lot, and in the end being told that I " hurt his feelings" because I didn't accept him and the they " don't stand for that" stating that I made him feel " inadequate".
Idk, I think I got the short end of the stick and by the luck of the draw may have gotten a recruiter with personal issues and wasn't really focused on the task at hand. She even told me that this guy lived in Atlanta close to me. Pensacola and Atlanta are quite the distance apart. I never requested anyone exactly in Atlanta, in fact we talked about a radius as far as Columbia South Carolina being okay. I really found it hard to believe that in all the city of atlanta that there wasn't one other hazmat driver that was to be recruited by them in four weeks.
Regardless, the situation is what it is. I called ES and requested another recruiter but I was told that it's against their policy to do so. So that is that.
Going to start over this process and try again.
I count 4 now, remember the young girl?

kastmgmt

Not a Member
You see my ads all over EO and on craigslist and truck paper? No, I didn't think so. I am not in the business of spending money trying to recruit drivers when I have no spots available and because of that I have no drivers talking to me. I have a few teams that have mentioned a desire to come work with us but I have no truck for them. When I do get a random call or private message on here I pass them on the info of 4 or 5 fleet owners that do have trucks available based on what the person is looking to do. In this persons case ES would be the best fit of the people I work with.

I do appreciate your insight in how to run my business though. I will take what you say into consideration and see if it fits into the business model we have decided to use.
I don't troll websites looking for your add, you stated you didn't have enough trucks for drivers, I'm going off the posts in this thread.

Twiggy

Rookie Expediter
The girl was the first one. I was only given able to reach one driver to speak to. So three if you include the girl and the guy with no phone number. Maybe I didn't explain clearly up above.
With the first one being the girl, I was simply inquiring about the job at first so packing my bags overnight seemed to be just a bit hasty.

kastmgmt

Not a Member
Alot of the drivers (tanker/hazmat) that you are searching for are driving for tanker outfits. Alot of the newer drivers that go to ES don't have a tanker endorsement IF it is not a requirement. Alot of tanker drivers make as much or more money putting their endorsements too use, and they don't have to ride with someone they don't know.

I don't see where I gave anybody "Insight on running their business." Whatever I post on here don't charge it to the heart or take it personally AT ALL. I'm simply pointing out that as a new driver without that year OTR you're restricted to what YOU REQUIRE. ES hanging up on Twiggy makes my point.

Last edited:
Reactions: jjtdrv4u