I can tell you why rates are so low. Its not fuel.

GuyUpNorth

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Brokers and carriers think most of us are high functioning retards at best often times. They do not realize that many of us simply do not want to work in physical proximity to people like them.

Well said.....

Reactions: APMECHANIC

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Using the word "retard" has to be some kind of violation on here I would think.
That's why you're not a Moderator. If there was something inherently wrong with the word "retard" then it would have been dealt with in Post #18 when it was first used in this thread.

6Wheels

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
Everything I've read on this post is pure speculation, if it was fact and provable, there would be names and numbers. It is a shell game with multiple players and levels of occurrences all come together for the perfect storm if you will.
1 Business has always been about profit ! (Yours is too!) product or labor at as minimal cost as possible. Sell at as high a profit as possible.
2 Cost of operating a business have gone way up. Insurance, maintenance, other expenses.
3 Cost of providing for your household have gone way up.
(Have to go to work, be back later)

Windsor

Veteran Expediter
That's why you're not a Moderator. If there was something inherently wrong with the word "retard" then it would have been dealt with in Post #18 when it was first used in this thread.
There's nothing inherently wrong with the word "b!tch" either but I bet I can't call ppl that on here. That's why you ARE the "moderator"

Reactions: ntimevan

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
There's nothing inherently wrong with the word "b!tch" either but I bet I can't call ppl that on here. That's why you ARE the "moderator"
Nobody called anyone on here a retard.

You've just come off a lengthy suspension and you're right back at it. Maybe you didn't have enough time to think about your actions here. It won't take much at all for the suspension to be reinstated, and for a considerably longer time frame. Up to you.

MikeDamone

Not a Member
Researching
(Yours is too!) product or labor at as minimal cost as possible.

Yea, but your labor is done by human beings, not machines. How about treating someone like a person and paying them a decent wage and treating them with respect instead of like a disposable commodity? My current employer does exactly that. A) its the right thing to do, and B) its better for business. Less turnover and happier employees. Happier employees are more productive employees. Also less likely to steal from you.

bfields115

Seasoned Expediter
Everything I've read on this post is pure speculation, if it was fact and provable, there would be names and numbers. It is a shell game with multiple players and levels of occurrences all come together for the perfect storm if you will.
1 Business has always been about profit ! (Yours is too!) product or labor at as minimal cost as possible. Sell at as high a profit as possible.
2 Cost of operating a business have gone way up. Insurance, maintenance, other expenses.
3 Cost of providing for your household have gone way up.
(Have to go to work, be back later)
It is not "pure speculation". There are also carriers that do not give drivers a lower rate but know that other carriers do, while keeping their rate at the "industry standard". There is a universal medium we need to be at out here, and many drivers are simply going home and getting local jobs because it is not worth it anymore. This could be good or bad for the rest of us. It decreases competition among us, but it can also cause shippers to modify the way they ship with less availability of expediters. This will affect carriers revenue as well as our own. It kind of reminds me of how mortgage brokers back before 2008 started pushing through loans to get the quick commissions and ended up crashing the market in many places.

Reactions: davekc

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
In a perfect world there should be all but a handful of expedite Loads... Primarily our business exists because someone or something broke down most of our business is built on stupidity someone forgot to order parts , someone didn't do their preventative on their machinery.
The better shippers do their job the better inventory control gets the less we have to do

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Now you were starting to see expedite only carrier is starting to diversify see them with truckload division ..specialized division expedite alone is not paying the bills for them as well

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I was told yesterday on a job I bid that they wouldn't bid it for me because the broker who had posted it of Mexican origin and the payment of it was questionable....... This coming from a very broken English speaking pimp!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was told yesterday on a job I bid that they wouldn't bid it for me because the broker who had posted it of Mexican origin and the payment of it was questionable....... This coming from a very broken English speaking pimp!
Whom is the pot and whom is the kettle? :p

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Unless something drastic, like regulation (and thats not even a guarantee example straight rates) comes along the CV portion of this biz is for part timers, semi retarded and maybe a 2nd to 3rd income....
I'm semi retarded and found my vocational niche driving a cargo van. I welcome other unemployable types to buy a cargo van and embark on a great adventure. Yo ho, yo ho, an expediter's life for me.

Tim Xpedites

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sad thing is, for every driver refusing to run those low rates & getting rammed into quitting/failed business because they cant compete, theres 10 other stinky flip-flop wearin bums waiting in line to take his/her place at a cheaper rate that drove him/her out of business in the first place.

So, how does "ONE" make an impact w/out the majority following him/her? I tried staying home & saying "NO" every time my dispatch said 80 or lower & ya know what, I sat for a week w/ no income til I finally took an offer of 75. I "ALONE" cant make an impact on the market, its gonna take (we have all heard this worn out record) "ALL" of us banding together for anything to EVER have an impact on these greedy people behind those computer screens.

I cant run for the price I NEED to make a GREAT living out here, but I can run to keep my head above water & thats the mentality the suits applaud & expect from us. I dont want to take 75 or lower, but what am I or any of us to do? Do we hang it up, do we tuck tail & accept failure, do we remain on that corporate leash they have us on or do we ever accomplish anything w/ all this TALK that happens on a website forum......? The truckers had it rite once when they closed down the country basically, but it seems the heart, soul & determination of what we & the truckers once stood for has taken a side seat, question is, why?

You have a hand full that would damn sure lock down an interstate & then the rest of em' are afraid & some for good reason, they have families, so they're scared as hell to stop for the cause cuz they wanna atleast support their folks back home. If they're not moving, lights at home go out, there in lies the struggle. How are you heard w/out a voice loud enough to reach the final destination...???

bfields115

Seasoned Expediter
Sad thing is, for every driver refusing to run those low rates & getting rammed into quitting/failed business because they cant compete, theres 10 other stinky flip-flop wearin bums waiting in line to take his/her place at a cheaper rate that drove him/her out of business in the first place.

So, how does "ONE" make an impact w/out the majority following him/her? I tried staying home & saying "NO" every time my dispatch said 80 or lower & ya know what, I sat for a week w/ no income til I finally took an offer of 75. I "ALONE" cant make an impact on the market, its gonna take (we have all heard this worn out record) "ALL" of us banding together for anything to EVER have an impact on these greedy people behind those computer screens.

I cant run for the price I NEED to make a GREAT living out here, but I can run to keep my head above water & thats the mentality the suits applaud & expect from us. I dont want to take 75 or lower, but what am I or any of us to do? Do we hang it up, do we tuck tail & accept failure, do we remain on that corporate leash they have us on or do we ever accomplish anything w/ all this TALK that happens on a website forum......? The truckers had it rite once when they closed down the country basically, but it seems the heart, soul & determination of what we & the truckers once stood for has taken a side seat, question is, why?

You have a hand full that would damn sure lock down an interstate & then the rest of em' are afraid & some for good reason, they have families, so they're scared as hell to stop for the cause cuz they wanna atleast support their folks back home. If they're not moving, lights at home go out, there in lies the struggle. How are you heard w/out a voice loud enough to reach the final destination...???
Great post, and thanks for taking the the time to do it. Do not ever think as an individual you cannot make a difference. I do the same thing your saying with regards to rates. We do need to and have to work together. And it can happen. This industry needs to be "regulated" more as much as I do not like to say that. However, when foreigners can come here so easily and expedite and leave at their leisure doing this, along with former class a drivers that cant pass the new physical standards, they jump in a van, and we get lower rates. In the end, drivers dictate the rates.

Reactions: Tim Xpedites

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

yeah man...surprising how many Americans are wearing flip flops out there......too many Nascar loving, moonshine swilling Bubbas out there working cheap....gonna git me a van and go expeditin and make me some biggin money!

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The only thing regulation would do is make it hard to survive as a solo Van Driver while at the same time adding to costs.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
just 1 of the many problems out there.....when your rent is due or mortgage...momma is screaming at you to get some money, the kids need new shoes, the fridge is empty.......$1,100 or whatever for that load to Laredo and the $1,000 back to make in 1 week is just to hard to pass up in some ole CV....they are not thinking of the future, just the 1st of the month....