Fold Out, Wall Mount Bed

vanspek

Active Expediter
Where can I buy a wall mounted, fold out bed for my van? I have only found 1 site that carries them.
Located in Ontario, Canada.

Thanks,
Vanspek

Reactions: neilblack

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Where can I buy a wall mounted, fold out bed for my van? I have only found 1 site that carries them.
Located in Ontario, Canada.

Thanks,
Vanspek
Try RV surplus stores ... excess from new camper productions ... seen some hinged ones in Elkhart ,In. around a year ago ... thinking $90. to $100. ... just an idea..

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Something like this perhaps?

20141201_191222-M.jpg

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Just remember. Mount or construct it to save every single inch of freight space you can. If you're 5'10" and sleep best on your side, make it 5'5". If possible, mount it from one side to the other right behind your seat. Trust me, if you can haul two skids and take a bunk-nap WITH two skids it will pay off.
BIG PLUS!!!!

jjtdrv4u

Expert Expediter
Just remember. Mount or construct it to save every single inch of freight space you can. If you're 5'10" and sleep best on your side, make it 5'5". If possible, mount it from one side to the other right behind your seat. Trust me, if you can haul two skids and take a bunk-nap WITH two skids it will pay off.
BIG PLUS!!!!
ain't nuthin like sleepin with ur freight! lol

Reactions: vandriver2

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
BIG PLUS!!!!
Screw that lol, if your 5'10 have a matress made that's 6'4" you'll love the extra space in the long run. The amount of time you gotta nap with freight on board is minimal in the big picture. That sleeping bent is for young folks. Get the right vehicle and put some thought into it and you should be able to stretch out with two skids on board.

Size matters!

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If I were to start again I might have 2 beds, one minimal behind the seats that can work with 2 skids if it can't be helped and another queen size or so off the side for no freight. I agree that maximum comfort is the priority.

Last edited:
Reactions: don111 and RoadTime

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The amount of time you gotta nap with freight on board is minimal in the big picture. That sleeping bent is for young folks.
One trip from Chicago to San Francisco turns minimal into a pretty big deal if you have no place to get some quality sleep for a few hours.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yea maybe but when you sit in California for a week you'll like the space, lol. Hey don't you have a fixed bunk?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yes, I do. One reason is, the second load I ever had in expediting was in a 2-skid Ford van carrying 2 skids and no place to sleep on a run from Chicago to San Francisco. I ended up getting a motel room twice to sleep. I learned rather quickly that wouldn't work long term. Most of the time it didn't matter, as I'd pick up a load, deliver it, and then have plenty of room for the airbed. Over the next several months, however, I found myself turning down longer runs where I knew I would need to get some sleep along the way, and that wouldn't work long term, either.

But the kicker was when I had a load from Davenport, IA to Burlington, IA, picked up Friday afternoon and couldn't deliver until Monday, so no place to sleep for 3 nights. And it was only one skid, so no room to inflate the airbed. I tried curling up on the cargo deck but would wake up every half hour aching from the hard deck. I went and got a foam mat to lay down to sleep on, didn't work. Ended up getting a motel room for the other two nights. That's when I decided that no matter what, I was going to have a permanent place to sleep, loaded or empty. I haven't regretted it once.