Baltimore Rioting, Looting OK According to Mayor

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It's not like they're trying to throw a national election per Candy Crowley of CNN at a presidential debate.
It's not like Candy Crowley moderating a political debate has anything to do with responsible journalism and accurate reporting, but okayeeee.

Reactions: RLENT

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
just this morning as I am scanning through the TV channels, I stop to listen to uber-liberal Bill Press, formerly a host of CNN's "Crossfire" derail the media coverage of the Baltimore riots. Bill Press singles out CNN's coverage as the most outrageous, with particular mention of CNN reporter Miguel Marquez's performance on air as "incendiary." Bill Press went on to lament how CNN sends reporters into the riots without any filter for the inflammatory rhetoric spewing from reporters which could incite a mob to even greater violence.

CNN should stop throwing matches on the tinderbox of social unrest. In their desperate search for increased viewership, CNN inserts itself as a bad actor. The Cable News Network won't skirt culpability much longer.
Your right about CNN and Miguel Marquez. Breitbart has compiled a few examples. Check it out. Miguel is number five on the list. Some still think CNN doesn't have an agenda. Laughable.
Breitbart >>
HATE NETWORK: FIVE TIMES CNN WHIPPED UP VIOLENCE IN BALTIMORE
As was the case with the Trayvon Martin and Mike Brownstories, in Baltimore last week, CNN distinguished itself as a Hate Network more than any other. Like most of the media, in order to keep the Jim Crow of The Welfare State in place, CNN treated the proven-failed leaders of Baltimore like they were heroes who will save the city. The left-wing Hate Network also went further in using their network to whip up more violence in Baltimore, especially against the police.

Baltimore was just more proof that Jeff Zucker has turned CNN into a 24/7 left-wing reality-show that is always looking for a villain, someone to demonize as a way to whip up the mob. And the demonized are almost always Christians, conservatives, police officers — anyone on the Right.

Zucker doesn’t care that CNN’s primetime ratings have collapsed -9%, or that his profits have fallen -5%. Along with President Obama, he is ona Cloward-Piven political crusade to stir hate and anarchy. If a few cops die, so be it. If 200 black businesses burn, so be it. All that matters is that the oppressive, controlling Welfare State that breeds dependence on Democrats, and by extension The State, remains in place.

Here are five times, solely for cynical and partisan political reasons, CNN openly attempted to whip up more violence in the poor, predominantly black neighborhood of Baltimore.

The fact that most of this incitement occurred just as the violence began to settle down should not be considered a coincidence:

1. The Police Force Is Populated with Unstable War Veterans
In front of the still smoldering city of Baltimore and the whole world, afternoon CNN anchor Brooke Baldwin used her show to float the monstrous idea that the Baltimore police departmentmight be handing unstable veterans badges and guns.

It would take CNN and Baldwin until the next morning to retract this incendiary charge (and outright smear of our veterans), and even then Baldwin never revealed exactly what it was she was retracting.

Over the years, I’ve seen some sick and twisted Narrative trial balloons. This one takes the cake.

1. CNN Anchor Warns Baltimore Protester About Cops: “You Know How They Are”
Wednesday night, less than 48 hours after 200 black-owned businesses had been burnt out, and live on the air during primetime, CNN anchor Chris Cuomo warned a young, black Baltimore protester against the police, “Just be careful, cuz you know how they are …If you seem like you’re being provocative towards them, you know how things can go.”

Cuomo was not only intentionally sowing further seeds of distrust between the community and the police, he was lying. If anything, the restraint the police showed during the rioting went too far in the direction of inaction.

Cuomo’s behavior was so inexcusable that he had hide his true words and misquote himself in a Facebook defense to his fans.

1. CNN During Monday’s Riot: ‘There Shouldn’t Be Calm … Uprising … Police Terrorism’
In real-time, as a poor, predominantly black city was besieged by savages intent on rioting, looting, and burning out 200 mostly black-owned businesses., a paid CNN commentator used his time on CNN to send this message: [emphasis added]

No, there shouldn’t be calm tonight. Black people are dying in the streets. They’ve been dying in the streets for months, years, decades, centuries. I think there can be resistance to oppression and when resistance occurs, you can’t circumscribe resistance. You can’t schedule a planned resistance. …

We also have to be very careful about the language we use to talk about this.I’m not calling these people rioters. I’m calling these uprisings and I think it’s an important distinction to make. This is not a riot. There have been uprisings in major cities and smaller cities around this country for the last year because of the violence against black female and male bodies forever and I think that’s what important here. …

What I’m saying is we can’t pathologize people who, after decades and centuries of police terrorism, have decided to respond in this way and when we use the language of thugs, when we use the language of riots, we make it seem as if it’s this pathological, dysfunctional, counter-productive[.]

Full transcript here.

The CNN employee quoted above is Marc Lamont Hill. To prove that cheering on the destruction of a poor, predominantly black neighborhood is encouraged on CNN, Hill was invited back during primetime just two days later….

1. The Police are ‘An Occupying Force In the Hood’
As the rioting slowed, so did CNN’s ratings. What better time to hand the pro-riot Marc Lamont Hill the microphone:

I play basketball with them. I might drink with them, but it’s something about the job itself and the structure of law enforcement in America itself that becomes an occupying force and – they’re an occupying force in the hood. That’s my issue.

1. CNN Reporter Intentionally Provokes Confrontation with Baltimore Cop: ‘Are We Under Martial Law’
CNN reporter Miguel Marquez was in the streets of Baltimore Friday night treating those violating the city’s curfew as heroes, and obviously hoping to manufacture and ignite a confrontation with the Baltimore police.

After a “frenetic melee” broke out in front of a CNN satellite truck (naturally), the police asked Marquez to move away. CNN was plenty close to film everything, even in close-up..

As things continued to heat up, a Baltimore cop very politely asked Marquez to move. Rather than act like a journalist and stay out of the story, heattempted to provoke the police officer:

Marquez asked “why’s that?” The officer responded, “because they asked you to, sir. Please comply.” Marquez asked “are we under martial law?” The officer continued to ask Marquez to move and said that there was a curfew, Marquez stated “the media has a right to work” in response.

Don Lemon could be heard off camera saying, “Miguel, it isn’t worth it. An indignant Marquez finally huffed off.

Also of note: The protestors blamed the police for the curfew, not the black Democrat mayor who put it in place, and of course no one at CNN ever corrected the record, including Don Lemon, who was anchoring from the studio

Jeff Zucker is a Bond villain come to life. And whether it is Ferguson or Baltimore or Oakland, his intended victims are always poor black people.

As Chris Cuomo himself points out, it wasn’t The Media that came to Baltimore to stoke the fire — it was CNN.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-journa...e-times-cnn-whipped-up-violence-in-baltimore/

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That's not really true. Blacks are certainly arrested and charged at a much higher rate than are non-blacks, but that doesn't mean they disproportionately commit more crimes.
Actually, they do - the crime rate among black is significantly higher than other racial groups, especially crime among young black males.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2011/crime-in-the-u.s.-2011/tables/table-43
BRICKS? OMG! I didn't know she was talking about BRICKS! Yeah, I mean, of course, if you throw bricks, you need to be shot, obviously. That almost goes without saying. Duh. What's all the outrage over her statements about?
Maybe I'm missing something, but surely you aren't claiming bricks couldn't be considered deadly weapons. I don't know what many of us drivers - current and former - would do if attacked by a gang of young thugs throwing bricks, but maybe a recollection of what happened to Reginald Denny during the LA riots in 1992 would be helpful. Keep in mind that if Mr Denny had been carrying a weapon the outcome for him would have been a lot better.

"On April 29, 1992, at 5:39 PM, Denny loaded his red dump truck with 27 tons of sand and began driving to a plant in Inglewood, where the sand was due. He left the Santa Monica Freeway and took a familiar shortcut across Florence Avenue to get to his destination. His truck had no radio, so he did not realize that he was driving into a riot. At 6:46 p.m., after entering the intersection at Normandie, rioters threw rocks at his windows, and he heard people shouting for him to stop. Overhead, a news helicopter with journalists Bob Tur and his wife aboard captured the events that followed.

The chaos forced Denny to stop in the middle of the street. Antoine Miller opened the truck door, giving others the chance to pull Denny out. Another man, Henry Keith Watson, then held Denny's head down with his foot. Denny was kicked in the abdomen by an unidentified man. Two other unidentified men, who had led a liquor store break-in earlier that day, hurled a five-pound piece of medical equipment at Denny's head and hit him three times with a claw hammer. Damian Williams then threw a slab of concrete at Denny's head and knocked him unconscious.

Williams then did a victory dance over Denny and flashed gang signs at news helicopters, which were televising the events live; he also pointed and laughed at Denny. Anthony Brown then spat on Denny and left with Williams. Several bystanders took pictures of Denny but did not attempt to help him. LAPD officers in the vicinity did not assist Denny, either.[citation needed]

After the beating, various men threw beer bottles at the unconscious Denny. Gary Williams approached Denny and rifled through his pockets. Lance Parker stopped near Denny and attempted to shoot the fuel tank of Denny's truck but missed.

Bobby Green, Titus Murphy and Terri Barnett (boyfriend and girlfriend), and Lei Yuille (a dietitian), who had been watching the events on TV, came to Denny's aid. Denny eventually regained consciousness and dragged himself back into the cab, driving away from the scene slowly and erratically;.[8] Green (himself a truck driver), boarded Denny's truck and took over at the wheel, driving him to the hospital. At the time Green took over, Denny was on the brink of losing consciousness again, and he suffered a seizure shortly thereafter.

Paramedics who attended to Denny said he came very close to death. His skull was fractured in 91 places and pushed into the brain. His left eye was so badly dislocated that it would have fallen into his sinus cavity had the surgeons not replaced the crushed bone with a piece of plastic. A permanent crater remains in his head despite efforts to correct it. Denny had to undergo years of rehabilitative therapy, and his speech and ability to walk were permanently damaged."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attack_on_Reginald_Denny
Her exact quote, in all of its glorious completeness:

"So I am watching the news in Baltimore and see large swarms of people throwing bricks etc at police who are fleeing from their assaults… 15 in the hospital already. Solution. Simple. Shoot em. Period. End of discussion. I don’t care what causes the protestors to turn violent… what the ‘they did it because’ reason is… no way is this acceptable. Flipping disgusting."

Washington Times - Teana Walsh Resigns After 'Shoot 'em' Facebook Post

Bottom line is bricks are deadly weapons when used as an attack weapon, and Ms Walsh's assessment is entirely correct although politically incorrect. Personally, if someone tries to attack me with a brick they're gonna get shot. Period. End of discussion, end of problem. And like Ms Walsh, I don't give a d*mn about their home life or their living conditions or their personal problems, none of which gives them a reason or excuse to endanger other people's lives and property.

Reactions: muttly

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
For some who were saying they ambushed and provoked, they sure discovered a lot bricks to throw mighty quickly .

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I've seen spin before, but that was pulled out of a centrifuge.

Exactly what does "that" refer to?
I did a quick look at the articles cited, and I have to say that Breitbart complaining about the "left wing media whipping up hatred" is just too funny for words.
"All that matters is that the oppressive, controlling Welfare State [sic] that breeds dependence on Democrats and by extension, the State, remains."
Does he have any idea, I wonder, just how loony tunes he sounds?

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Speaking of throwing bricks, I found this story very interesting. Particularly the mention of "Police announced shortly before noon that they had a credible threat" [about gangs intending to hurt people]. They don't say which gangs, but there's a photo out there showing a Crip with his arm around a Blood, saying "We don't want nobody [sic] gettin hurt". I think the officials ought to have to share their "credible" source, myself.
Read this:

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2015/04/how-baltimore-riots-began-mondawmin-purge

ImageUploadedByEO Forums1430875879.656078.jpg

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Maybe I'm missing something, but surely you aren't claiming bricks couldn't be considered deadly weapons. I don't know what many of us drivers - current and former - would do if attacked by a gang of young thugs throwing bricks, but maybe a recollection of what happened to Reginald Denny during the LA riots in 1992 would be helpful. Keep in mind that if Mr Denny had been carrying a weapon the outcome for him would have been a lot better.

I'd say you're missing something: none of us drivers enjoy the level of personal protective gear [military grade] that LEOs currently deploy.
To suggest those officers should shoot people [especially the non adults] for throwing bricks is overkill, quite literally.
Did you read the article I cited? About how those whom you call " a gang of young thugs" were schoolchildren, in the area solely because those same officers did not allow them to board their buses for home?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Actually, they do - the crime rate among black is significantly higher than other racial groups, especially crime among young black males.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2011/crime-in-the-u.s.-2011/tables/table-43
Well, the tables show the arrest rates and the charges. It doesn't indicate at all how many whites are given a pass for certain crimes. Blacks commit more crimes in general, because blacks live in situations where more crime is going to be committed regardless of race. The notion that blacks commit more crimes because they are black was largely debunked more than 100 years ago (and was perfectly illustrated in the movie Trading Places) and was conclusively debunked in the 1980s when the relationship between race and crime became a recognized field of specialized study in criminology. There are several schools of thought as to cause, some more valid than others, but all of them fall into two main categories, one being that factors external to the groups in question (socioeconomic conditions) tend to be linked to the cause, and the other is that internal cultural and behavioral factors are the cause. The scientific evidence gathered more strongly supports the former, while conservatives have a death grip on the latter.

Maybe I'm missing something, but surely you aren't claiming bricks couldn't be considered deadly weapons.
Yeah, you're missing the sarcasm part.

I don't know what many of us drivers - current and former - would do if attacked by a gang of young thugs throwing bricks, but maybe a recollection of what happened to Reginald Denny during the LA riots in 1992 would be helpful. Keep in mind that if Mr Denny had been carrying a weapon the outcome for him would have been a lot better.
I had no idea that Reginald Denny had a systemic history of oppression of those who were attacking him, so I can see why you would equate him with a small army of militarized police in riot gear. <note the sarcasm>

Bottom line is bricks are deadly weapons when used as an attack weapon, and Ms Walsh's assessment is entirely correct although politically incorrect.
The discussion was that Muttly went all bat-crap crazy because the context of her quote (that being bricks being the focus) was not included in the story about her comments on what police should do to rioters when they assault police officers. Militarized police officers wearing protective gear and carrying shields are nowhere nearly as at risk as someone not as prepared for a riot. Any idea how many people are killed annually by a thrown brick? How many are killed by bricks during a riot?

Personally, if someone tries to attack me with a brick they're gonna get shot. Period. End of discussion, end of problem.
Good for you.

And like Ms Walsh, I don't give a d*mn about their home life or their living conditions or their personal problems, none of which gives them a reason or excuse to endanger other people's lives and property.
It's quite evident that you don't.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Are bricks a weapon? The simple answer. If you are fine with someone using them on you then no, they aren't a weapon. If you don't want someone using them on you then yes, they are a weapon. Bricks and anything else.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Proof of another article cited that you either didn't read, or misunderstood. Unless you think the teachers, parents, and students on the spot are all lying?
More parroting insults by you. Blaming the officers who have every right to show up and protect life and property, claiming they're partly to blame. It's their job to keep order and prevent mayhem. The same parents would be claiming the officers were derelict in their duty by not acting on the threat if one of their kids was injured or worse by an errant piece of concrete. Whatever the inconvenience some of them had doesn't condone getting in a dodge ball fight with cinder blocks. Some need to quit making excuses. They were entirely at fault.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
More parroting insults by you. Blaming the officers who have every right to show up and protect life and property, claiming they're partly to blame. It's their job to keep order and prevent mayhem. The same parents would be claiming the officers were derelict in their duty by not acting on the threat if one of their kids was injured or worse by an errant piece of concrete. Whatever the inconvenience some of them had doesn't condone getting in a dodge ball fight with cinder blocks. Some need to quit making excuses. They were entirely at fault.

Perhaps you could explain how preventing schoolkids from boarding their buses to go home, and detaining them in an area where trouble is anticipated is "protecting life and property" - but I doubt it.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I thought they were all just trying to go home from school and the police interfered.:rolleyes:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I thought they were all just trying to go home from school and the police interfered.:rolleyes:
If that's true, then the police directly caused the rioting by their interference. So your use of "entirely" isn't merely playing fast and loose, but rather is entirely incorrect.