NEW Cargo Van O/O, Do not want to be taken advantage of!!

Thanshaw1

Active Expediter
I have just purchased my new cargo van and have been applying to a few different companies. 2 are indy expediting and express-1. They both seem to even out once you account for everything. What other "hidden traps" do I need to be watching out for? Ive been researching forums and hear that Indy expediting has quite a bit of dead head time with no pay. Express-1 pays .15 a mile after 100 miles of deadheading. Just any help would be great! The traveling and away time from home is no problem as i was in the military and my wifes used to me beeing away from home for work.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Welcome to the forums and good luck to you! One of the "van guys" will likely answer you soon. I am not sure I would have bought a van until you had all of those questions answered first. Hope it all works out for you.

Thanshaw1

Active Expediter
haha yea thats what my wife said. But in a weird way im of a van guy. I would of bought one anyway if I used it for expediting or not. theres just so much you can do with one!!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Well, just wait around, sooner or later one of the 'van guys' will answer you. I drive a S/T so I can help you with the van stuff.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Keep researching and try to figure out which carrier is the best fit for you. If you want specific answers, ask specific questions. E.O. members can give you good information about different carriers if you ask the right questions. Can you share some info about the van you bought?

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
But in a weird way im of a van guy. I would of bought one anyway if I used it for expediting or not. theres just so much you can do with one!!

hanna+montana+shuttle.jpg

Sorry, I just couldn't help myself.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Welcome.

1) Insurance buy your own so the insurance is in YOUR favor. Most of us recomend CIS good outfit, and they specialize in expediting.

2) Always vett a company and hammer the recruiter with hard questions. Allot of recruiters will make all kinds of promises and cannot deliver if it dosent pass the gut test moove on.

3) Dont work for break even or at a loss. Trust me, you would rather loose an oppertunity than work for free or less. The only exception is if you are in a dead spot and even then make sure you cover the cost of moving your vehical.
First know how much it costs you in fuel, maintenance, insurance, misc and living expenses, and your salary you should pay yourself at least .40 per mile.
add it all together and you have rate per mile. multiply by TOTAL MILES loaded and deadhead, do the numbers wind up in your favor.

With any job

Good luck
Bob Wolf.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
To my knowledge indy expedite would be a lot of deadhead. Not really one you ever see.much.of out.on the road.

E1 can be ok but my personal feeling is they panther and the fed all cater to teams. Might give bolt a call they.seem to be moving decent and most diamond drivers i speak with are content.

That being said what works for one doesn't always work for the next. Personal fit has a lot to do with it.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC123 via EO Forums

Thanshaw1

Active Expediter
Thanks for the great info. I bought a 2012 1500 Chevy express and added heavier springs from the factory so it's rated up to one ton to save on fuel. The large amount of dead head throws a flag up for me as I feel I could really be burning a lot of my own fuel without getting paid

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
The big thing for you to figure out right now will be which carriers are even taking Cargo Vans on..alot aren't...Then as was said, ask the hard questions of the recruiters and figure out which company fits your wants and needs...

Premimum in Toledo is a good Carrier , http://www.ptlllc.com/

And to learn the business from scratch, you can't go wrong with Bolt also in Toledo..Talk to Anne there, she is as honest as the day is long...
Home || Bolt Express

Last edited:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I bought a 2012 1500 Chevy express and added heavier springs from the factory so it's rated up to one ton to save on fuel.

Compared to the 3500, both axles on the 1500 have a much lower weight rating. The front rotors are smaller and the tires are smaller, P225/75R-16 compared to 10 ply LT245/75R-16E on the 3500. There is more to a 3500 than just heavier springs.

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
Thanks for the great info. I bought a 2012 1500 Chevy express and added heavier springs from the factory so it's rated up to one ton to save on fuel.

It is officially re-certified to be a 3500, door sticker and all?

There's a lot more to making a 1/2 ton into a 1 ton than just adding 'heavier springs', and I'd be quite leery of hauling loads meant for a 1 ton in your 1500.

The frames are boxed in a 1 ton, the braking systems are much heavier in the 1 ton, different engines are offered, etc.

You could get yourself into a mess if you get into an accident and it's determined you have been negligent in hauling the appropriate amount of weight.

No offense intended, but there is a 2,600 lb difference in what a 2012 Express 1500 (GVWR 7300) and an Express 3500 (GVWR 9900) are rated, and just adding heavier springs ain't going to make up the difference.

Thanshaw1

Active Expediter
Well I'm not going to get anywhere by people lying to me so I really appreciate the info. What's odd is both companies said a half ton would be fine to run. Are they just tryin to get me signed on and don't care what happens once I leave the lot?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well I'm not going to get anywhere by people lying to me so I really appreciate the info. What's odd is both companies said a half ton would be fine to run. Are they just tryin to get me signed on and don't care what happens once I leave the lot?

You just need to set a weight limit on what you will carry and stick to it.

One thing that is a common theme among those in expedite is to maximize your load possibilitys. That is done in many ways. Length, height, weight among other options. The more varied types of loads you can haul the more likely you are to be rolling.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC123 via EO Forums

guido4475

Not a Member
Thanks for the great info. I bought a 2012 1500 Chevy express and added heavier springs from the factory so it's rated up to one ton to save on fuel. The large amount of dead head throws a flag up for me as I feel I could really be burning a lot of my own fuel without getting paid

A 1500? For expediting? Just my opinion, but I would of bought a vehicle that is at least a one ton, and capable of hauling at least 3 skids.It does make a difference.

guido4475

Not a Member
It is officially re-certified to be a 3500, door sticker and all?

There's a lot more to making a 1/2 ton into a 1 ton than just adding 'heavier springs', and I'd be quite leery of hauling loads meant for a 1 ton in your 1500.

The frames are boxed in a 1 ton, the braking systems are much heavier in the 1 ton, different engines are offered, etc.

You could get yourself into a mess if you get into an accident and it's determined you have been negligent in hauling the appropriate amount of weight.

No offense intended, but there is a 2,600 lb difference in what a 2012 Express 1500 (GVWR 7300) and an Express 3500 (GVWR 9900) are rated, and just adding heavier springs ain't going to make up the difference.

Bingo.Exactly.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Do you know what the van weighs now? Weigh the van and then subtract that from the gvwr on the door sticker. The difference is what you can safely and legally haul (remember that personal items add to the weight lb for lb exactly the same as freight on a skid). Once you have that number, call the same carriers and tell them the max weight you'll be willing to carry...their response will tell you what your dealing with.

You really should have purchased a 3500. Not sure what your options are with the 1500. Is trading vans an option?

guido4475

Not a Member

Can you explain to me how heavier leaf springs save fuel??? lol...

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Can you explain to me how heavier leaf springs save fuel??? lol...

I think what he meant was that by adding the extra leaf springs and buying the 1500 he got the standard 4.3 V-6 instead of one of the V8s and increased his load capacity slightly. When I bought my 2004, only the 3500 came with the heavy duty transmission as standard. It was an option on the 2500, but not on the 1500. Do the newer 1500 come with the 6 speed?