Potential Friends

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We have found that out here on the road we get to meet some really amazing and interesting people. We where lucky enough this past weekend to meet a really nice couple just into their first week of expediting. After talking with them and listening they really impressed us with their attitude. They do not have trucking back grounds and everything out here is brand new. They have had a rough first week that would have been rough for someone with experience and we would probably have complained loudly but they dealt with the problems and just moved on. They have a lot to learn but are sure willing to ask a lot of questions and figure out how to apply what you offer to how they run their truck. They reminded us again how much we enjoy meeting new people our here. What a great business where you can first meet someone and have so much in common with them that you can spend hours talking. Once again we are reminded of what a great job we have.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We try to steer all people to EO!! Best way to learn and the easiest way to ask questions and receive lots of advice.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
EO is the first website listed on my business cards. Others include truckerbuddy.org and dieselboss.com plus some for my truck dealer and components I like. Nobody needs my address etc. unless it's somebody I know better than a one time meeting at a truck stop so I use all those extra lines for EO and other sites I consider useful.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5507, 5508, 5509
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I recognized a driver that I met a year ago or more from a recent post. I sent him a p.m. and he replied. Sure enough it was him. He is only the second E.O. member that I have met in person.

2millionplus

Expert Expediter
Hopefully, you count me as the other one. hehehe

2millionplus
Independant Recruiter
30 Years 'On-The-Road'

"The Old Man"

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I stand corrected. The count should be at 3. Sorry about that Mike!

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Putting faces with screen names is part of the fun of going to the Expo and also Louisville.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
As Diane and I spend time on the road, we find ourselves losing touch with our old friends back home and staying in touch with new friends we make on the road. That is not for lack of communication. It's because our at-home friends have a difficult time relating to our life and work on the road. We stay in touch with the ones we care most about but the conversations have grown repeatative.

"How's things?" we'll ask. "Good." they'll reply. "Are you still trucking?" "Yes." We'll say.

After catching up on news of who gave birth, died, got married or divorced, and changed jobs; and after some laughs over adventures or projects we and our friends shared, it ends on a "Glad you're happy" or "Take care" note and we're on our way.

They can't even begin to imagine what life is like for us on the road and they have a hard time relating to our life and work. While we can easily relate to their life and work, because we once lived it ourselves, it is no longer as interesting as it once was to us. Talk about the new lawn tractor just purchased or who in our circle of friends is contemplating a run for public office is far less interesting to us than things our new expediter friends talk about.

It makes sense, I suppose, that news of a new truck gadget or recommended parking place apppeals. Those are the things that affect us most today; while sleeping in the best Wal-Mart parking lots is not something our older friends ever sought to do.

We left some really great friends behind when we took up life on the road. If we had the chance to sit down with them and visit in depth, the bonds would warm again. But being on the road all the time keeps that from happening.

With a new career comes new friends, and the more distant our previous careers become, so too the friends we had back then.