Overall length regulations.

G

I found this on ooida last night. I was just wandering if anyone has seen this. It shows to be effective feb. 29, 2002.

http://www.ooida.com/regulatory/trk_lgth_width_final_rule.html

This is a very lengthy article. It is mainly written for the trailer industry, but there are comments about straight trucks. In one area of the document, it looks as though the straiht trucks regulations were left to the states to decide.

**edited..I found this in the article:

Single unit vehicles are not STAA vehicles, and are not
covered by these rules. States have complete discretion whether to
include or exclude such devices from the length of straight trucks.

This appears to exclude straight trucks from this ruling. Does anyone know where to find info. regarding the regulations for straight trucks? From what I see, it looks as though you would have to research each states regulations.

The reason this caught my attention is that this regulation appears to exclude lift gates and turn signal/safety devices from the overal length limitiations. The lift gates are allowed to extend 24" while the turn signals, etc. are allowed 3".

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
If you have a Motor Carriers Atlas, individual state length limits
are listed toward the front of the atlas along with axle limits, etc.
as I remember there are only 2 or 3 states that limit to 40 foot.
North carolina being the most memorable, as they where handing out
frequent heartburn at the scales a couple years past. They must have gotten over their need to measure straight trucks as of recent because, I have not heard any bitchin about it lately. I'd suggest if you are going to put something together that might be over 40' that you check with the states you are concerned about and get it in WRITING what they count and don't count. I like to have that kinda stuff in the truck. Saves a lotta pissin around at the scales.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Yes, the length along with axle weight restrictions, and about a dozen other laws are left up to the individual states. Along with the atlases these things are often listed in nationwide truck stop guides. I tried digging around on the web for this stuff, but no luck. The only trucks I see NC pull off to check length are logging trailers. I don't think it's an issue even if your straight truck is a little over 40', as I have not been questioned myself nor anyone else I know to memory.
-Weave-

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Yes Weave, I think NC has either jumped off that band wagon or their "little measure markers" are not right. I was measured in NC last year and we are all of 40'6". They didn't say or do anything about it and we had heard that once upon a time they would have.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I'm surprised they even pulled you off to measure your truck length McBride. Either they were being nice by not ticketing you, or there is some "tolerance" for the 40' rule there.
-Weave-

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>I'm surprised they even pulled you off to measure your truck

They didn't pull me off they made me stop on the scale next to these yard stick like things that ran horizonally along side of the scale. I honestly didn't know what they were doing at the time as it never dawned on me that we would be measured. They were actually quite nice and seemed to just have questions about the truck and what we haul more than anything else.

G

Mcbride..I think I remember you mentioning that you had a lift gate? If so, do you think they may have not been counting it? Even though the federal regs. don't apply, they may be allowing it slide. ????

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>
>lift gate?

Nope, not yet...looking for flush mount type. Maybe we won't have to have one like that now.

G

I'm looking for a used box here. Seems like they've never sold a box down here without a liftgate..lol. I'm not wanting the extra expense of a lift axle, so I would prefer not to have a lift gate. I'm not sure about the flush mount. I have seen one, don't remember where. But, i can probably find you a lift gate down here. You would have to be in the West Memphis to Jonesboro, AR area to pick it up though.

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>I'm notwanting the extra expense of a lift axle, so I would prefer
>not to have a lift gate. I'm not sure about the flush mount.
>I have seen one, don't remember where.

We do have a lift axle, so I am wondering if now it would matter at all now if it was a flush mount. I am still a little bewildered and distressed about Sharp's post regarding the $100 fine for having the controls of the axle in the cab....heard about ND but not LA.

>But, i can probably find you a lift gate down here. You would have >to be in the West Memphis to Jonesboro, AR area to pick it up >though.

Sure, don't go out of your way but if you come across something drop us a line. We would appreciate it. The only reason we decided talked about flush mount was because of the length and Joe saw one that still had the ICC bar arrangement for auto docks.

Thanks,