OUR NEW RIDE

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
well we have been getting all the must have equipment installed on our new international, and it looks like we will soon be back on the road.there have been some minor glitches with it,(top speed was only 68 mph,sleeper a/c was not connected, and a clamp was missing on the intercooler making it sound like a jet and the generator hasn't been installed yet)but we are slowly working through these things. but as far as ride quality and drivability this truck is so much better than our fl70.after just the trip back to ohio from knoxville,that was enough to convince me that the allison automatic is the only way to go.we can keep up with the 4 wheelers when taking off from a stop light and only using about half throttle.were looking forward to (hopefully) several years of trouble free service from this vehicle. DDX2

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Very nice DD! Have to agree with Lawrence's description on this one, VERY classy looking ride.

Unique rear wheel look also, is that the actual wheel, or some kind of covering? I've never seen ones exactly like those.

Best of Luck with the new truck!

Dreamer

[font color="blue"]Be sure to proofread everything you post, in case you a word out.[/font]

Crazy Eddie

Expert Expediter
WOW that is a good lookin truck. You say it has one of those Allison autos?? I have wondered about those versus a standard stick, can you answer me a coupla questions?

What is the MPG of that truck with an auto?

What is the warranty on that tranny?

Do you have any idea of the rebuild cost of that Allison?

Just some things I was wondering.
I like what you said about the takeoff from a stop sounds good, looks better!!:+

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
thanks for the compliments guys. dreamer,those are actual alluminum wheels i just havent got the hub covers for them yet. also these are made by accuride not alcoa.i think the accuride has a a better appearance than the alcoa.(the reason i say that is because by mistake there is one alcoa on the rear,with the other 5 being accuride and the shine and quality seem better with the accuride)as for your questions crazy eddie,i can only anawer the one about length of warranty.(2years, unlimited mileage)this truck automatically figures fuel mileage, and it is showing 7.8 mpg but i am expecting that to improve greatly once the majority of the miles are on the highway instead of the cities.DD

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
What a "purty" expediter! Aluminum wheels really do make a truck, and don't rust out in winter salt.
As the Allison is a torque convertor automatic, expect a mile or two less per gallon than with a standard trans. But the savings on your kneecap will probably make up for the loss! Allisons ave very durable, and if cared for properly and not severely beat on can go a million miles before a rebuild is necessary. This has made them popular on rental trucks, and coach and school busses. They are, however, expensive to repair or rebuild if needed, so have it maintained at the intervals religiously.
-Weave-

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Just a note about the Allison...We LOVE ours. However, you can expect on 1 to 2 miles per gallon less and we run heavier on our steers because of it. We have the Allison 6 speed heavy duty transmission. We had synthectic put in after 25,000 miles and have it changed every 200,000. We have never had one ounce of problem with it. We have a 2001 freightliner 106, Detriot, with 430,000 miles on it. It pulls us right down the road and uphills too! (we weigh 26,000#'s empty)

The odd thing is we are in the process of putting specs together for another truck and are not including the Allison as it is a $15,000 dollar or so option. We are looking at the new auto shift design. Anyone know anything about this?

mcbride

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hi guys: 10 spd Autoshift will cost about $7000 on a Peterbilt 330, since I have been specing a new truck as well. Have a 6 spd autoshift currently, and while it does the job, it hesitates to find reverse or drive. Computer forces trans to wait until shaft slows to about 450 rpm before it will shift from neutral. Major annoyance.
You are probably referring to ULTRASHIFT in 10 spd and 6 spd. 6 spd has a sump and wet clutch design; 10 spd has what is called DM clutch?
I assume it will cost at least as much as AS2 or more, but no clutch at all! Completely mechanical trans- 2 pedal system. Willing to bet it will hesitate as well. See Eaton/Roadranger web site for some info.
My choice: 11908LL- for 32K GVW will drive as 8 spd and shifts easily with no clutching, mated to ISL or C-9. P.S. C-9 pricing, if correct at Sterling, will blow you away at $7300 extra.

cat can do

Veteran Expediter
That is one good looking truck. I would like to know if that is the 7400 series and is that a class 8 truck. I have seen a couple of these trucks at Alumi-Bunk and they make the FL The T-300 and the 330 look so little.
Congrats on the new ride it is SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
cat, yes that is the 7400. i dont know if this is considered a class 8 truck or not, it has the warranty of a class 8 (5years 500,000 miles)but wether or not my carrier considers it a class 8 (with an extended life period) remains to be seen. DD

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The 7400 can be either a class 7 or class 8 truck, depending on how it is sepc'ed. DD's 7400 looks to have the clsss 8 specs and should be considered as such.
-Weave-

SHARP327

Veteran Expediter
HI DD&DD! JUST ABOUT TO BUY THE SISTER TRUCK OF YOURS AND WAS WONDERING IF YOU KNEW WHAT THE MAX. PAYLOAD WAS ON YOUR TRUCK WITHOUT THE TAG AXLE? ALSO IT APPEARS THAT YOU OPT-ED FOR PULLER AXLE INSTEAD OF A PUSHER, CAN YOU TELL ME WHY? IT'S JUST THAT THE TRUCK WE'RE GETTING HAS A PUSHER. CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG BUT I WAS TOLD THAT A PUSHER HELPS TAKE WEIGHT OFF THE STEERS AND THE PULLER AXLE HELPS WITH THE WEIGHT ON THE DRIVE AXLE!?. ALSO HERE IN KY. THEY SAY THAT IF YOUR GVWR IS 44,000 OR HIGHER THAT YOU'RE SALES TAX EXEMPT, BUT I WAS WONDERING DOES THAT INCLUDE FEDERAL EXCISE TAX?.....SO NOW THAT YOU'VE BEEN RUNNING THAT SWEET (YOURS INFLUENCED MY CHOICE)RIG WOULD HAVE DONE ANYTHING DIFFERENT AND COULD YOU GIVE ANY ADVISES ON THINGS? THANKS ALOT! YOU CAN E-MAIL IF NEEDED @ [email protected] THANKS FOR ANY HELP JUST HATE LAST MINUTE SURPRIZES! BE SAFE OUT THERE! SHARP327